External Ant for a Linksys desktop ?

I'm getting a "fair" signal on an old desktop I set up in my shop 150
ft from the house and the AP.... But because of the machinry in the
hsop I had to place the desktop on the far side of the building thus
out of sight between the desktop and AP...

Looked around for a cable to attach to the card itself that would
allow me to just move the antena outside the building and in sight of
the AP...

No luck...trash shack and the local computer stores do not have the
connections.... SO WHERE DO I LOOK....

This is not critical as I an only playing ...but come winter when I
spend hours in the shop it may be nice to surf the net every now and
then...

Bob Griffiths

"Bob G." <rg327_remove_@adelphia.net> wrote in message

> I'm getting a "fair" signal on an old desktop I set up in my shop 150
> ft from the house and the AP.... But because of the machinry in the
> hsop I had to place the desktop on the far side of the building thus
> out of sight between the desktop and AP...
>
> Looked around for a cable to attach to the card itself that would
> allow me to just move the antena outside the building and in sight of
> the AP...
>
> No luck...trash shack and the local computer stores do not have the
> connections.... SO WHERE DO I LOOK....
>
> This is not critical as I an only playing ...but come winter when I
> spend hours in the shop it may be nice to surf the net every now and
> then...

Perhaps all you need is a pie dish/cooking utensil/wok to focus/redirect
the radio waves from the AP onto the linksys antenna?

Or something similar at the AP?

Is it not possible to create some sort of "wave guide" to bend the signal
round obstacles?

John

---

Bob G. <rg327_remove_@adelphia.net> wrote:
> I'm getting a "fair" signal on an old desktop I set up in my shop 150
> ft from the house and the AP.... But because of the machinry in the
> hsop I had to place the desktop on the far side of the building thus
> out of sight between the desktop and AP...

You might try some parabolas or corner reflectors on the WAP.
http://www.freeantennas.com
I used the EZ-10 corner reflector, because I had some difficulty forming
the parabola, and the EZ-10 was enough gain for me.
< http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/SMC/EZ10-strength.htm >

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/frameset_radio_pigtails.htm

--
---