panasonic video recorder/messenger 6.2

Snowy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004

I am using messenger 6.2 and want to connect my panasonic digital video
recorder as a webcam. When I go to tools-audio/video setup wiz it sees and
hears my camera. When I go to webcam setup I get no picture and when I try to
use it/invite someone to see it does not work. any Ideas anyone!

Greetings Snowy,

There are actually two different video functions within MSN Messenger 6.x. The first, the
"Webcam" function, which is tested by the "Web Camera Settings" dialog, basically supports
actual "Webcam"s only. It does not support DV/firewire cameras, digital cameras, or video
card inputs. The second, the "Video Conference" function is tested by the Audio/Video Tuning
Wizard, supports most devices including DV cameras and video card inputs and uses the same
functionality as Windows Messenger.

The Video Conference and Audio/Video Tuning Wizard will only be available on Windows XP (and
both you and your contact must be using Windows XP in order for it to work). Assuming both
of you are using Windows XP, try using the Video Conference feature instead, by clicking the
Actions menu within a conversation window and choosing 'Start Video Conference'.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Snowy" <Snowy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using messenger 6.2 and want to connect my panasonic digital video
> recorder as a webcam. When I go to tools-audio/video setup wiz it sees and
> hears my camera. When I go to webcam setup I get no picture and when I try to
> use it/invite someone to see it does not work. any Ideas anyone!

Is there a reason behind this??? Why dont they let DV camera's using
firewire! I have exactly the same problem! it so annoying!!!

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings Snowy,
>
> There are actually two different video functions within MSN Messenger 6.x. The first, the
> "Webcam" function, which is tested by the "Web Camera Settings" dialog, basically supports
> actual "Webcam"s only. It does not support DV/firewire cameras, digital cameras, or video
> card inputs. The second, the "Video Conference" function is tested by the Audio/Video Tuning
> Wizard, supports most devices including DV cameras and video card inputs and uses the same
> functionality as Windows Messenger.
>
> The Video Conference and Audio/Video Tuning Wizard will only be available on Windows XP (and
> both you and your contact must be using Windows XP in order for it to work). Assuming both
> of you are using Windows XP, try using the Video Conference feature instead, by clicking the
> Actions menu within a conversation window and choosing 'Start Video Conference'.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>

> "Snowy" <Snowy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using messenger 6.2 and want to connect my panasonic digital video
> > recorder as a webcam. When I go to tools-audio/video setup wiz it sees and
> > hears my camera. When I go to webcam setup I get no picture and when I try to
> > use it/invite someone to see it does not work. any Ideas anyone!

Hi,

The Webcam component wasn't built to handle DV cameras; hopefully this will be rectified in a
future release.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Dan Young" <DanYoung@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a reason behind this??? Why dont they let DV camera's using
> firewire! I have exactly the same problem! it so annoying!!!
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Greetings Snowy,
>>
>> There are actually two different video functions within MSN Messenger 6.x. The first, the
>> "Webcam" function, which is tested by the "Web Camera Settings" dialog, basically supports
>> actual "Webcam"s only. It does not support DV/firewire cameras, digital cameras, or video
>> card inputs. The second, the "Video Conference" function is tested by the Audio/Video
>> Tuning
>> Wizard, supports most devices including DV cameras and video card inputs and uses the same
>> functionality as Windows Messenger.
>>
>> The Video Conference and Audio/Video Tuning Wizard will only be available on Windows XP
>> (and
>> both you and your contact must be using Windows XP in order for it to work). Assuming
>> both
>> of you are using Windows XP, try using the Video Conference feature instead, by clicking
>> the
>> Actions menu within a conversation window and choosing 'Start Video Conference'.
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "Snowy" <Snowy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am using messenger 6.2 and want to connect my panasonic digital video
>> > recorder as a webcam. When I go to tools-audio/video setup wiz it sees and
>> > hears my camera. When I go to webcam setup I get no picture and when I try to
>> > use it/invite someone to see it does not work. any Ideas anyone!

Snowy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004

Cheers jonathan thats sorted it. My friend at the other end is running Win
2000 so I need to get a webcam or he needs to get up to speed. It now works
by 'video conference' with everybody thats running XP.

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings Snowy,
>
> There are actually two different video functions within MSN Messenger 6.x. The first, the
> "Webcam" function, which is tested by the "Web Camera Settings" dialog, basically supports
> actual "Webcam"s only. It does not support DV/firewire cameras, digital cameras, or video
> card inputs. The second, the "Video Conference" function is tested by the Audio/Video Tuning
> Wizard, supports most devices including DV cameras and video card inputs and uses the same
> functionality as Windows Messenger.
>
> The Video Conference and Audio/Video Tuning Wizard will only be available on Windows XP (and
> both you and your contact must be using Windows XP in order for it to work). Assuming both
> of you are using Windows XP, try using the Video Conference feature instead, by clicking the
> Actions menu within a conversation window and choosing 'Start Video Conference'.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>

> "Snowy" <Snowy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using messenger 6.2 and want to connect my panasonic digital video
> > recorder as a webcam. When I go to tools-audio/video setup wiz it sees and
> > hears my camera. When I go to webcam setup I get no picture and when I try to
> > use it/invite someone to see it does not work. any Ideas anyone!

Hi Snowy,

Glad to hear it =)