Windows Messenger 4.7

Windows messenger is driving me insane. I have gone into control panel and
services and have disabled messenger. i have gone into option in messenger
and turned it all off there too but it still logs me in. Many suggestions
please?

Thank you in advance

hey tigerclaw,

I had a similar experience - after installing Messenger 6.2 (under SP 2), I
could not get rid of version 4.7, even though I tried most of what Jonathan
Kay suggested - 4.7 keeps logging on automatically ... trying to remove it, I
then deleted by mistake other important subroutines, such as sound controls
.... this is a mess!!

"tigerclaws" wrote:

> Windows messenger is driving me insane. I have gone into control panel and
> services and have disabled messenger. i have gone into option in messenger
> and turned it all off there too but it still logs me in. Many suggestions
> please?
>
> Thank you in advance

Greetings,

The Messenger within "Services" refers to Messenger Service in Windows and has nothing to do
with Windows Messenger.

You'll simply need to disable Windows Messenger. To do so, open it up (click Start, then
Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK), click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this
Program when Windows starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on
version) as well as 'Allow this program to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger
to run in the background' (depending on version). This won't remove Windows Messenger, so
features like Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing will continue to work,
but it will let it stay out of your way.

Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a
new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause it to
also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"tigerclaws" <bm003d6236@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Windows messenger is driving me insane. I have gone into control panel and
> services and have disabled messenger. i have gone into option in messenger
> and turned it all off there too but it still logs me in. Many suggestions
> please?
>
> Thank you in advance

thecrow

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2004

> Windows messenger is driving me insane. I have gone into control panel and
> services and have disabled messenger. i have gone into option in messenger
> and turned it all off there too but it still logs me in. Many suggestions
> please?
>
> Thank you in advance

It is a big mess yes .... on my PC Windows Messenger 4.7 just keep on
running in the background .... no matter what I try or do, as soon as I
start MSN Messenger 6.2 .... Windows Messenger 4.7 starts up and is also
running in the background and just keeps on running unless I Ctrl/Alt/Del it
...... Windows Messenger 4.7 is not in the tray, it is not used by me yet it
just keeps on doing that. Upgraded to the newest version of Windows
Messenger but that also is not helping.
Tried to delete it yet I am not allowed to do that .... I don't even use the
thing!!!
Tried to find info about Windows Messenger 4.7 but the link that is on the
MS site (http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=winmessenger_kbarticles) is
dead.

Isn't there ANY way that I can decide to have Windows Messenger on my PC or
not?? Tried to mail MS also about this issue but no reaction what so ever

Menno
getting very irritated with Windows Messenger 4.7

bill

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 18:03:19 +0100, "TheCroW"
<news@antispam3dart4u.com> wrote:

>> Windows messenger is driving me insane. I have gone into control panel and
>> services and have disabled messenger. i have gone into option in messenger
>> and turned it all off there too but it still logs me in. Many suggestions
>> please?
>>
>> Thank you in advance
>
>It is a big mess yes .... on my PC Windows Messenger 4.7 just keep on
>running in the background .... no matter what I try or do, as soon as I
>start MSN Messenger 6.2 .... Windows Messenger 4.7 starts up and is also
>running in the background and just keeps on running unless I Ctrl/Alt/Del it
>..... Windows Messenger 4.7 is not in the tray, it is not used by me yet it
>just keeps on doing that. Upgraded to the newest version of Windows
>Messenger but that also is not helping.
>Tried to delete it yet I am not allowed to do that .... I don't even use the
>thing!!!
>Tried to find info about Windows Messenger 4.7 but the link that is on the
>MS site (http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=winmessenger_kbarticles) is
>dead.
>
>Isn't there ANY way that I can decide to have Windows Messenger on my PC or
>not?? Tried to mail MS also about this issue but no reaction what so ever
>
>Menno
>getting very irritated with Windows Messenger 4.7

You can remove it from the Control Panel. It is a Windows component
and you have to 'unhide' it by changing a Registry Setting.
Destructions are in the Windows Resource Kit or just Google for it.
Bill