sathni

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2002
situation -

2 pcs at home (older home), one in my "home office" upstairs, and 1 in the basement (for my kid)... both running w2k-pro...

i want to get dsl, but before i do, i want to try to network these 2 computers so both can have high speed internet access....

problem -

there is no CAT 5 cabling in the house...
how can i "network" these 2 computers...

i tried wireless, but too much interference, and distance between 2 computers is too great so i constantly lose connection... i might need a "booster hub", or something to boost the wireless signal, but that will be a last resort option (in my mind - unless you guys tell me otherwise)....

question -

anyone have any experience with Home PNA or some other networking option?...

please advise....

thx

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
If you dont want wireless (which I wouldnt either..) then cat 5 is what you need. The max length for cat5 is about 100metres, so unless your house is massive, there shouldnt be a problem, I assume the connection will be in the centre of the house, so maybe a router there will assist:

TOP FLOOR- PC1
|
GROUND FLOOR - Router
|
BASEMENT-PC2

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

sathni

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2002
cat-5 was my other "last" option....

i am not sure how to run the darn cat-5 cables in thru the walls.... i would hate to call a "wiring" company and have them charge me a bundle of $$ for simple wiring...

i did a lot of wiring at work, but we have "false ceilings" and it is only 1 floor... any advice on running cat-5 thru sheet rock or in-between floors??..

thx....

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
hmm, only thing I can suggest, is do it as you would any other cable, I did our house, from the front room (cable conenction) under the floor, through the wall to the next room (here, where server and main pc is) (where the cable goes through the wall, I had to feed the cable up about 12 inches and frill right through the wall, and fit a blanking plate as I couldnt get the drill in the correct position under the floor). From here, cable goes under the floor, to the opposite side of the room, and up the "inside" of the wall to the landing, accross the upstairs under the floor to the kids room and out to a socket. Took almost a day :(.
I suppose it depends on your walls/floors etc, I wanted ZERO cable showing, which I managed, apart from the blanking plates on each side of the downstairs wall, but thats not a major problem, as a chair hides one in the front room, and my desk hides the one here, but a blanking plate isnt much of an eye sore anyway.

Have fun :)

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

misu

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you can try that new tech that uses electric wires in your house. There was an article about it in PCWorld....

Misu
__'_