Wireless Issue

I have a small home network with a wired desktop (win xp pro) and 2
laptops (win98se and win xp pro). I use a Bekin g router an g pc card
for the win98se machine. The other laptop is an IBM R40 which has the
intel pro wireless 3b mini card (b protocol).

For some reason, regardless of signal strenght, the IBM laptop with the
builtin b wireless only obtains about half of the rated internet speed.
The other laptop (dell I7500) obtains the full speed.

Any ideas as to why thye speed reduction and/or how to fix it?

Thanks,
Harvey

Harvey Gratt <hgratt@comcast.net> wrote in news:bLEFc.20022$7t3.17806
@attbi_s51:

> I have a small home network with a wired desktop (win xp pro) and 2
> laptops (win98se and win xp pro). I use a Bekin g router an g pc card
> for the win98se machine. The other laptop is an IBM R40 which has the
> intel pro wireless 3b mini card (b protocol).
>
> For some reason, regardless of signal strenght, the IBM laptop with the
> builtin b wireless only obtains about half of the rated internet speed.
> The other laptop (dell I7500) obtains the full speed.
>
> Any ideas as to why thye speed reduction and/or how to fix it?

My similar experience might be a clue. Check for DrTCP
on my Software Favorites page http://www.mccune.cc/Software.htm
--
Tom McCune

Tom McCune wrote:
> Harvey Gratt <hgratt@comcast.net> wrote in news:bLEFc.20022$7t3.17806
> @attbi_s51:
>

>>I have a small home network with a wired desktop (win xp pro) and 2
>>laptops (win98se and win xp pro). I use a Bekin g router an g pc card
>>for the win98se machine. The other laptop is an IBM R40 which has the
>>intel pro wireless 3b mini card (b protocol).
>>
>>For some reason, regardless of signal strenght, the IBM laptop with the
>>builtin b wireless only obtains about half of the rated internet speed.
>>The other laptop (dell I7500) obtains the full speed.
>>
>>Any ideas as to why thye speed reduction and/or how to fix it?
>

> My similar experience might be a clue. Check for DrTCP
> on my Software Favorites page http://www.mccune.cc/Software.htm

I've already done the tweaks and am using the 64240 value. FWIW, it did
seem to get the higher speeds about a month ago for a short while. I
have no idea what may have changed since then.

Thanks,
Harvey