iPod and iTunes on XP Pro

Got my daughter an iPod for her birthday.

Nothing but a nightmare from the software end.

If the iTunes service is running, she cannot
connect.

Every 3rd or 4th time she uses it, iTunes needs
to be reinstalled.

Anyone have any tips on getting this software to
work properly on an XP machine?

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    ahall@no-spam-panix.com wrote:

    > Got my daughter an iPod for her birthday.
    >
    > Nothing but a nightmare from the software end.
    >
    > If the iTunes service is running, she cannot
    > connect.
    >
    > Every 3rd or 4th time she uses it, iTunes needs
    > to be reinstalled.
    >
    > Anyone have any tips on getting this software to
    > work properly on an XP machine?

    As with the other responders, no problem here.

    What version of iTunes are you running? When the program
    was first available for Windows, there were some *major*
    bugs, just as there were bugs in the whole iPod-Windows
    relationship.

    Most (all?) of those bugs are long gone.

    Notan

    I have been running it on my machine for about a year with no apparent
    problems. I don't download music though.

    Does she do a lot of downloading? Does she use anything else to
    download or play or burn the music? Maybe another piece of software is
    having compatibility problems. Do you see any error messages in the
    Events Viewer?

    What type of internet connection does she have? Is not connecting the
    only problem or something else? What exactly does iTunes do that
    requires reinstalling? Do you have the newest version?

    Clark

    ahall@no-spam-panix.com wrote:

    > Got my daughter an iPod for her birthday.
    >
    > Nothing but a nightmare from the software end.
    >
    > If the iTunes service is running, she cannot
    > connect.
    >
    > Every 3rd or 4th time she uses it, iTunes needs
    > to be reinstalled.
    >
    > Anyone have any tips on getting this software to
    > work properly on an XP machine?

    Works great for me. Did you install an old version from the CD that came
    with the Ipod or did you download the latest version from Apple?

    <ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message

    > Got my daughter an iPod for her birthday.
    >
    > Nothing but a nightmare from the software end.
    >
    > If the iTunes service is running, she cannot
    > connect.
    >
    > Every 3rd or 4th time she uses it, iTunes needs
    > to be reinstalled.
    >
    > Anyone have any tips on getting this software to
    > work properly on an XP machine?
    >

    > --
    > Andrew Hall
    > (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    Clark> I have been running it on my machine for about a year with no apparent
    Clark> problems. I don't download music though.

    Clark> Does she do a lot of downloading? Does she use anything else to

    No downloading.

    Clark> download or play or burn the music? Maybe another piece of software
    Clark> is having compatibility problems. Do you see any error messages in
    Clark> the Events Viewer?

    I will check the Events viewer.

    Clark> What type of internet connection does she have? Is not connecting the
    Clark> only problem or something else? What exactly does iTunes do that
    Clark> requires reinstalling? Do you have the newest version?

    Latest version. It says the software needed to communicate
    with the iPod is not installed correctly, and needs to be
    reinstalled. Apple has a help page about that error message,
    but the only thing that worked was their last resort, a reinstall.

    Thanks,

    --
    Andrew Hall
    (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    WSZsr> Works great for me. Did you install an old version from the CD that came
    WSZsr> with the Ipod or did you download the latest version from Apple?

    Latest.

    >> ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message
    news> kpgirxtpxvt.fsf@panix1.panix.com...

    >> Got my daughter an iPod for her birthday.
    >>
    >> Nothing but a nightmare from the software end.
    >>
    >> If the iTunes service is running, she cannot
    >> connect.
    >>
    >> Every 3rd or 4th time she uses it, iTunes needs
    >> to be reinstalled.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any tips on getting this software to
    >> work properly on an XP machine?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Andrew Hall
    >> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    --
    Andrew Hall
    (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    Are you using a Firewire or USB connection to the iPod?

    If you use firewire, there should be a listing in the network
    connections windows showing it. If you use USB, you might want to check
    your USB driver to make sure it is up to date and showing USB 2.0 (if
    the iPod uses 2.0).

    Do you run anything that might be removing some necessary files, like a
    spyware removal routine?

    When you start iTunes (with iPod plugged in), if you watch the
    Taskmanger you will see two processes start, iTunes.exe and
    iPodService.exe. If you close iTunes, the iPodService.exe will remain
    active.

    Clark

    > Clark> I have been running it on my machine for about a year with no apparent
    > Clark> problems. I don't download music though.
    >
    > Clark> Does she do a lot of downloading? Does she use anything else to
    >
    > No downloading.
    >
    > Clark> download or play or burn the music? Maybe another piece of software
    > Clark> is having compatibility problems. Do you see any error messages in
    > Clark> the Events Viewer?
    >
    > I will check the Events viewer.
    >
    > Clark> What type of internet connection does she have? Is not connecting the
    > Clark> only problem or something else? What exactly does iTunes do that
    > Clark> requires reinstalling? Do you have the newest version?
    >
    > Latest version. It says the software needed to communicate
    > with the iPod is not installed correctly, and needs to be
    > reinstalled. Apple has a help page about that error message,
    > but the only thing that worked was their last resort, a reinstall.
    >
    > Thanks,

    Clark> Are you using a Firewire or USB connection to the iPod?

    USB, and XP always identifies the iPod as a USB hard drive. Every
    time. It is iTunes that has trouble communicating.

    Clark> If you use firewire, there should be a listing in the network
    Clark> connections windows showing it. If you use USB, you might want to
    Clark> check your USB driver to make sure it is up to date and showing USB
    Clark> 2.0 (if the iPod uses 2.0).

    Clark> Do you run anything that might be removing some necessary files, like
    Clark> a spyware removal routine?

    I do use some anti-spyware software, but at least one of the times
    that the software stopped working I had not used the anti-spyware
    software.

    As nobody else that responded is having trouble, I may install it
    on a different XP machine we have, and try there.

    Clark> When you start iTunes (with iPod plugged in), if you watch the
    Clark> Taskmanger you will see two processes start, iTunes.exe and
    Clark> iPodService.exe. If you close iTunes, the iPodService.exe will remain
    Clark> active.

    iPodService.exe starts when the machine boots, but if it is running,
    and I am logged in, she cannot access the iPod at all from her account.

    iTunes reports that somebody else is accessing the iPod!

    If I stop the service, then she can. If I am not logged in I believe
    there is not a problem. But that is not a viable option, as I have
    processes running I want to keep going.

    I suspect it is some software conflict, hopefully it will work
    on the other machine. Do you know if the iTunes software can
    use a network drive for its local music? That would save me
    the effort (and disc space) of copying all the local music
    files from one machine to the other.

    Thanks,

    --
    Andrew Hall
    (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    Did you run the iPod updater (which contains the iPod software)? The latest
    version is 6-26-05, IIRC (download from Apple.com). Might be worth doing to
    reset the iPod, update the software and then re-sync the iTunes library with
    the updated iPod. I've had very few com problems between the iPod and my XP
    Pro install regardless if I use a Firewire or USB 2 connection. One thing
    that DID cause problems was RealPlayer which now supports iPod....I had
    problems with iTunes and RealPlayer competing to control the iPod.
    RealPlayer lost. ;-)

    -Tmax60

    > ahall@no-spam-panix.com wrote:
    >>
    >> Got my daughter an iPod for her birthday.
    >>
    >> Nothing but a nightmare from the software end.
    >>
    >> If the iTunes service is running, she cannot
    >> connect.
    >>
    >> Every 3rd or 4th time she uses it, iTunes needs
    >> to be reinstalled.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any tips on getting this software to
    >> work properly on an XP machine?
    >
    > As with the other responders, no problem here.
    >
    > What version of iTunes are you running? When the program
    > was first available for Windows, there were some *major*
    > bugs, just as there were bugs in the whole iPod-Windows
    > relationship.
    >
    > Most (all?) of those bugs are long gone.
    >
    > Notan

    Tmax60> Did you run the iPod updater (which contains the iPod software)? The latest

    Yes, twice. The first time we hooked it up, then again
    after reinstalling iTunes the 1st time (the newly installed
    iTunes required it).

    Tmax60> version is 6-26-05, IIRC (download from Apple.com). Might be worth doing to

    Yes, that is the version we used both times.

    Tmax60> reset the iPod, update the software and then re-sync the iTunes library with
    Tmax60> the updated iPod. I've had very few com problems between the iPod and my XP
    Tmax60> Pro install regardless if I use a Firewire or USB 2 connection. One thing
    Tmax60> that DID cause problems was RealPlayer which now supports iPod....I had
    Tmax60> problems with iTunes and RealPlayer competing to control the iPod.
    Tmax60> RealPlayer lost. ;-)

    I took RealPlayer out of the startup path, and do not
    use it. I suspect some other software conflict.

    Thanks,

    --
    Andrew Hall
    (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    OK, my last try, I promise. When I first got my iPod, it came with a
    configuration utility that would run in the system tray and you could
    select whether to use it as a Hard drive or not. When I installed the
    new iTunes, that went away and I see no place to make such selections.

    When the iPod is in the cradle it has a "Do not disconnect" notice on
    the front and I can remove it using iTunes (eject) or if iTunes is not
    running, the normal remove device way.

    Maybe it is being removed at an inappropriate time and corrupting some
    files. Anyway, good luck.

    Clark

    > Clark> Are you using a Firewire or USB connection to the iPod?
    >
    > USB, and XP always identifies the iPod as a USB hard drive. Every
    > time. It is iTunes that has trouble communicating.
    >
    > Clark> If you use firewire, there should be a listing in the network
    > Clark> connections windows showing it. If you use USB, you might want to
    > Clark> check your USB driver to make sure it is up to date and showing USB
    > Clark> 2.0 (if the iPod uses 2.0).
    >
    > Clark> Do you run anything that might be removing some necessary files, like
    > Clark> a spyware removal routine?
    >
    > I do use some anti-spyware software, but at least one of the times
    > that the software stopped working I had not used the anti-spyware
    > software.
    >
    > As nobody else that responded is having trouble, I may install it
    > on a different XP machine we have, and try there.
    >
    > Clark> When you start iTunes (with iPod plugged in), if you watch the
    > Clark> Taskmanger you will see two processes start, iTunes.exe and
    > Clark> iPodService.exe. If you close iTunes, the iPodService.exe will remain
    > Clark> active.
    >
    > iPodService.exe starts when the machine boots, but if it is running,
    > and I am logged in, she cannot access the iPod at all from her account.
    >
    > iTunes reports that somebody else is accessing the iPod!
    >
    > If I stop the service, then she can. If I am not logged in I believe
    > there is not a problem. But that is not a viable option, as I have
    > processes running I want to keep going.
    >
    > I suspect it is some software conflict, hopefully it will work
    > on the other machine. Do you know if the iTunes software can
    > use a network drive for its local music? That would save me
    > the effort (and disc space) of copying all the local music
    > files from one machine to the other.
    >
    > Thanks,

    ahall@no-spam-panix.com wrote:

    > Got my daughter an iPod for her birthday.
    >
    > Nothing but a nightmare from the software end.
    >
    > If the iTunes service is running, she cannot
    > connect.
    >
    > Every 3rd or 4th time she uses it, iTunes needs
    > to be reinstalled.
    >
    > Anyone have any tips on getting this software to
    > work properly on an XP machine?

    You don't have to use iTunes to transfer files to the iPod; one
    excellent freeware I've used is called EphPod (just search for it on
    google). A commercial app for the same purpose is called Anapod
    Explorer. Both these apps also allow you to transfer songs from your
    iPod to your computer (something iTunes doesn't support). A great
    resource to check out is ipodlounge.com -- they have a long list of iPod
    related software.

    ahall@no-spam-panix.com wrote:

    > As nobody else that responded is having trouble, I may install it
    > on a different XP machine we have, and try there.
    >
    > Clark> When you start iTunes (with iPod plugged in), if you watch the
    > Clark> Taskmanger you will see two processes start, iTunes.exe and
    > Clark> iPodService.exe. If you close iTunes, the iPodService.exe will remain
    > Clark> active.
    >
    > iPodService.exe starts when the machine boots, but if it is running,
    > and I am logged in, she cannot access the iPod at all from her account.
    >
    > iTunes reports that somebody else is accessing the iPod!
    >
    > If I stop the service, then she can. If I am not logged in I believe
    > there is not a problem. But that is not a viable option, as I have
    > processes running I want to keep going.

    Have you considered adding a startup script that stops the service when
    you log in. Something like "sc stop iPodService" ought to work.

    > I suspect it is some software conflict, hopefully it will work
    > on the other machine. Do you know if the iTunes software can
    > use a network drive for its local music? That would save me
    > the effort (and disc space) of copying all the local music
    > files from one machine to the other.

    Yes, iTunes can use networked drives, however this may be protocol
    dependent. I know for a fact it can use NFS shared drives, but I
    haven't bothered to try with Windows Shares (aka Samba) since I don't
    like the protocol (poor performance compared to NFS).

    :roll: I too have a USB connected New Color Ipod V1.2. One XP machine
    can recognize spill the serial number and update the little devil
    using iPod updater 2005-06-26 but my laptop (the primary) XP Pro
    machine decided one day never to recognize the little devil again.

    While we did absolutely everything in the apple database including
    clean wipe and reinstall the software all latest and greatest
    versions made sure power is always on the USB ports the same version
    of updater does not even see the iPod but I can see it clearly as a
    drive and read and write to it using the laptop.

    Naturally iTunes has not a hope. (4.9.xx)

    ipod service is started no problems Real is NOT installed on this
    machine. I have googled everywhere and see nothing but have to
    conclude a driver is fouled somewhere.

    DO you have a firewall running on the machine that cannot see the IPOD? If
    so, it is possible it has a setting blocking the IPOD. To test this,
    temporarely disable (aka shutdown) the firewall, and see if that helps.

    "Embedded" <john@j-microsystems-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > :roll: I too have a USB connected New Color Ipod V1.2. One XP machine
    > can recognize spill the serial number and update the little devil
    > using iPod updater 2005-06-26 but my laptop (the primary) XP Pro
    > machine decided one day never to recognize the little devil again.
    >
    > While we did absolutely everything in the apple database including
    > clean wipe and reinstall the software all latest and greatest
    > versions made sure power is always on the USB ports the same version
    > of updater does not even see the iPod but I can see it clearly as a
    > drive and read and write to it using the laptop.
    >
    > Naturally iTunes has not a hope. (4.9.xx)
    >
    > ipod service is started no problems Real is NOT installed on this
    > machine. I have googled everywhere and see nothing but have to
    > conclude a driver is fouled somewhere.

    It appears XP Pro at least has issues with the USB service for itunes
    and iPod update.

    It will work for a while after a restore and then stop.

    This is cured by just simply using firewire. I cannot connect to
    iTunes or iPod update with any USB port but it looks just like a
    remote hard drive.

    Using the built in TI chip set on my laptop daisy chained through my
    WD hard drive backup with firewire. (Firewire cable provided by
    Griffin) the Color Ipod V1.2 MA079LL is recognized.

    My take is the USB driver service used by Apple is not quite there but
    the Firewire service is there since Firewire is TCP/IP really.

    So I can go back and forth USB not seen by iTunes, Firewire works
    perfect.

    Apple Guys you need to do some work with XP SP2 USB.

    Cheers John
    :)

Dell iTunes iPod Windows XP Software Computers