Help! Deluged with Pop Ups

I returned home from a business trip yesterday. When I turned on my
computer and surfed the web, I found myself deluged with pop up windows
advertising this and that. Most seem to be coming from Bullseye Network
Office.

I have Earthlink's popup block and Google's popup blockers activated and
still, these popups keep appearing! I have Windows XP SP2 installed too.
What could be the problem?

Help!

Greetings,

You may want to scan you system for any spyware/malware that may have been installed.

You can use one of the following applications to scan/remove any of these:
http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download,
http://spybot.eon.net.au/index.php?lang=en&page=download
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"katogj2003" <katogj2003@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I returned home from a business trip yesterday. When I turned on my computer and surfed the
>web, I found myself deluged with pop up windows advertising this and that. Most seem to be
>coming from Bullseye Network Office.
>
> I have Earthlink's popup block and Google's popup blockers activated and still, these
> popups keep appearing! I have Windows XP SP2 installed too. What could be the problem?
>
> Help!

Unfortunately, Messenger can be used to send Spam, which is what you're
seeing. There's a free utility called "Shoot the Messenger" available for
download at http://www.grc.com/default.htm that allows you to quickly
disable/enable Messenger. Not a perfect solution, especially if you use
Messenger a lot, but it may help reduce the irritation when you don't need to
use it.

"katogj2003" wrote:

> I returned home from a business trip yesterday. When I turned on my
> computer and surfed the web, I found myself deluged with pop up windows
> advertising this and that. Most seem to be coming from Bullseye Network
> Office.
>
> I have Earthlink's popup block and Google's popup blockers activated and
> still, these popups keep appearing! I have Windows XP SP2 installed too.
> What could be the problem?
>
> Help!

Hi,

I'm sorry but this is incorrect. What you're referring to is the Messenger Service *not*
Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger.

They are completely and absolutely unrelated and unlikely that the "Messenger Service" is
being used "a lot" (or else you'd know what the popups were!).
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"jamisolr" <jamisolr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Unfortunately, Messenger can be used to send Spam, which is what you're
> seeing. There's a free utility called "Shoot the Messenger" available for
> download at http://www.grc.com/default.htm that allows you to quickly
> disable/enable Messenger. Not a perfect solution, especially if you use
> Messenger a lot, but it may help reduce the irritation when you don't need to
> use it.
>
> "katogj2003" wrote:
>
>> I returned home from a business trip yesterday. When I turned on my
>> computer and surfed the web, I found myself deluged with pop up windows
>> advertising this and that. Most seem to be coming from Bullseye Network
>> Office.
>>
>> I have Earthlink's popup block and Google's popup blockers activated and
>> still, these popups keep appearing! I have Windows XP SP2 installed too.
>> What could be the problem?
>>
>> Help!

Sparrow

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> ha scritto nel
messaggio news:OA3prXxyEHA.2036@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

[cut]

Please, "quote".
Thank you.

Please ignore previous messages.
You haven't mention at all anything regarding messenger problems.
This is not what you are looking for.

Hi there,
Nasty present.....
Ad-aware and Spybot are quite good for this, but try Hijackthis.exe
Is a good software but u gotta know what you are deleting.
It's a shame that symantec or microsoft didn't come out with some fix for
this bugging problem.

The generic name for this problem is "Downloader.Lunii"
Check this out.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/downloader.lunii.html

Also try dleting those files:
The files I located resided in the WINNT\System32 directory
the files are:
exdl.exe, exdl0.exe, exdl1.exe, exul.exe,
exul1.exe.
These stupid files propogate like a virus and the arsewipes who make these
intrusive spyware should be shot!
wmiprvse.exe
mspmsps.exe
nvsvc32.exe