Security question

I have a small wired network, usually involving three
computers. I'd like to add wireless capability so that I could
use a laptop anywhere in the house.
Is it true that I could set it up (Linksys wireless router and
Linksys PCMCIA "b" card in laptop) so that the wireless portion
would only connect with the card in my laptop? Is it as simple as
giving the router the MAC address of the laptop card? (My
instinct tells me: Nah, nothing's ever that simple!)

-- Ron

jago

Ronald Hands <rhands@mountainNOSPAMcable.net> wrote in news:FbWdnRC0D4-
SRnrdRVn-hw@edaptivity.com:

> I have a small wired network, usually involving three
> computers. I'd like to add wireless capability so that I could
> use a laptop anywhere in the house.
> Is it true that I could set it up (Linksys wireless router and
> Linksys PCMCIA "b" card in laptop) so that the wireless portion
> would only connect with the card in my laptop? Is it as simple as
> giving the router the MAC address of the laptop card? (My
> instinct tells me: Nah, nothing's ever that simple!)
>
> -- Ron

It's a start, but MAC security can be defeated easily from experienced
hackers with the right software. Adding WEP or (even better) WPA will
improve your security. For a good review on WLAN security, have a look
here:

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/NeedToKnows.php

Take a look at "Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) NeedToKnow - Part II" and
"WPA - Wireless Security for the rest of us". Also take a look here:

http://www.weca.net/OpenSection/protected_access.asp

This site has a 60-minute Web cast that talks about WLAN security. Hope
this helps! --Jago