JONATHAN i am getting on my knees

and begging for you to just at least let me know that you
saw this message. please!
i have done some very thorough testing over the past few
weeks to see i can fx my problem.

Ok look at this: i have a nice amount of data:

---- symptoms ----
my probelem was that sometimes i randomely do not get the
messages that people send me, and sometimes my msn logs
off automatically.

---- configuration -----
windows XP home on a toshiba laptop, MSN 6.2 latest
version, wireless netgear router with this computer and
another desktop PC, allowing only thse 2 computers to
connect to it via MAC address

---- Here's what i tried (desperate measures) ----
1)ok lastnight i reformatted my laptop with the toshiba
recovery disks, and re-installed msn 6.2, i DID NOT
installl SP2 this time.
2)i picked a different hotmail account alltogether, one
that i only used on msn a couple of times, i changed the
secret hint question, i changed the password.
3)i logged onto msn, and the symptom of missing a friend's
message came back.

---- conclusions ----
the problem is not:
-is not SP2
-is not windows xp home in itself
-is not that someone hacked my address or is logging on
instead of me or by accident...
-is not the msn program itself or any of its registry
entries

the problem might be:
-related to my laptop hardware (because our other computer
does not do that)
-related to my networking hardware or its configuaration
-maybe related to a default setting in windows xp home
that comes with toshiba that affects msn?

it would be funny it it's my laptop or networking hardware
because we've had them for over a year whereas i've had to
problem for about 2-3 months.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I BEG YOU
PLEASE ADVISE

thank you,
Mike
11 answers Last reply
More about jonathan knees

    Greetings Mike,

    Since it's only been the least 2-3 months, when did you get your router?
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Mike" <cdsell69@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:137401c4cc19$fe6ef5f0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    > and begging for you to just at least let me know that you
    > saw this message. please!
    > i have done some very thorough testing over the past few
    > weeks to see i can fx my problem.
    >
    > Ok look at this: i have a nice amount of data:
    >
    > ---- symptoms ----
    > my probelem was that sometimes i randomely do not get the
    > messages that people send me, and sometimes my msn logs
    > off automatically.
    >
    > ---- configuration -----
    > windows XP home on a toshiba laptop, MSN 6.2 latest
    > version, wireless netgear router with this computer and
    > another desktop PC, allowing only thse 2 computers to
    > connect to it via MAC address
    >
    > ---- Here's what i tried (desperate measures) ----
    > 1)ok lastnight i reformatted my laptop with the toshiba
    > recovery disks, and re-installed msn 6.2, i DID NOT
    > installl SP2 this time.
    > 2)i picked a different hotmail account alltogether, one
    > that i only used on msn a couple of times, i changed the
    > secret hint question, i changed the password.
    > 3)i logged onto msn, and the symptom of missing a friend's
    > message came back.
    >
    > ---- conclusions ----
    > the problem is not:
    > -is not SP2
    > -is not windows xp home in itself
    > -is not that someone hacked my address or is logging on
    > instead of me or by accident...
    > -is not the msn program itself or any of its registry
    > entries
    >
    > the problem might be:
    > -related to my laptop hardware (because our other computer
    > does not do that)
    > -related to my networking hardware or its configuaration
    > -maybe related to a default setting in windows xp home
    > that comes with toshiba that affects msn?
    >
    > it would be funny it it's my laptop or networking hardware
    > because we've had them for over a year whereas i've had to
    > problem for about 2-3 months.
    >
    > PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I BEG YOU
    > PLEASE ADVISE
    >
    > thank you,
    > Mike

    Who is your ISP? have you tried changing? .... might be worth trying a free
    trial with Tiscali or one of the others to see if it solves your problems...
    cud be your ISP servers OR your phone line...... ask BT to check that as
    well

    "Mike" <cdsell69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > and begging for you to just at least let me know that you
    > saw this message. please!
    > i have done some very thorough testing over the past few
    > weeks to see i can fx my problem.
    >
    > Ok look at this: i have a nice amount of data:
    >
    > ---- symptoms ----
    > my probelem was that sometimes i randomely do not get the
    > messages that people send me, and sometimes my msn logs
    > off automatically.
    >
    > ---- configuration -----
    > windows XP home on a toshiba laptop, MSN 6.2 latest
    > version, wireless netgear router with this computer and
    > another desktop PC, allowing only thse 2 computers to
    > connect to it via MAC address
    >
    > ---- Here's what i tried (desperate measures) ----
    > 1)ok lastnight i reformatted my laptop with the toshiba
    > recovery disks, and re-installed msn 6.2, i DID NOT
    > installl SP2 this time.
    > 2)i picked a different hotmail account alltogether, one
    > that i only used on msn a couple of times, i changed the
    > secret hint question, i changed the password.
    > 3)i logged onto msn, and the symptom of missing a friend's
    > message came back.
    >
    > ---- conclusions ----
    > the problem is not:
    > -is not SP2
    > -is not windows xp home in itself
    > -is not that someone hacked my address or is logging on
    > instead of me or by accident...
    > -is not the msn program itself or any of its registry
    > entries
    >
    > the problem might be:
    > -related to my laptop hardware (because our other computer
    > does not do that)
    > -related to my networking hardware or its configuaration
    > -maybe related to a default setting in windows xp home
    > that comes with toshiba that affects msn?
    >
    > it would be funny it it's my laptop or networking hardware
    > because we've had them for over a year whereas i've had to
    > problem for about 2-3 months.
    >
    > PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I BEG YOU
    > PLEASE ADVISE
    >
    > thank you,
    > Mike

    i have had a cable internet connection with this router
    for about 7-8-9 months. way beyond the time frame of this
    problem. i can say that when i use the account on the
    office computer, it does not do this. and that's with XP
    home and 6.2 as well, but a DSL provider.

    ok now one more thing - i think i may be onto something
    now, hopefully i'm on my way to i fixing it. i am using a
    new msn account now, and for the past 4-5 hours i have had
    a few instances of lost messages with only one buddy who
    has a mac computer, but with all the other people i've had
    no problems yet, and my msn 6.2 has not crashed yet. i'll
    need at least 1-2 days to believe that it's really working
    now. i'm just curious, are there any known issues with
    connunicating with mac versions of messenger? and
    furthermore, since i have indications that the problem is
    this computer, it's hard to believe that changing the
    account will work. maybe this is a problem specifc to the
    combination of this computer's hardware AND my old
    account, that's really the only temporary conclusion for
    now... anyway i'm crossing my fingers here...

    Mike

    ok there we go, i just missed a string messages from
    another person. So now we know this has nothing to do with
    any specific msn account. so it could be a windows xp home
    setting or feature..or maybe a hardware thing

    Mike :(

    does your router have a built in firewall? they normally do so check the
    settings . it "may" be blocking your connection?

    > Greetings Mike,
    >
    > Since it's only been the least 2-3 months, when did you get your router?
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Mike" <cdsell69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> and begging for you to just at least let me know that you
    >> saw this message. please!
    >> i have done some very thorough testing over the past few
    >> weeks to see i can fx my problem.
    >>
    >> Ok look at this: i have a nice amount of data:
    >>
    >> ---- symptoms ----
    >> my probelem was that sometimes i randomely do not get the
    >> messages that people send me, and sometimes my msn logs
    >> off automatically.
    >>
    >> ---- configuration -----
    >> windows XP home on a toshiba laptop, MSN 6.2 latest
    >> version, wireless netgear router with this computer and
    >> another desktop PC, allowing only thse 2 computers to
    >> connect to it via MAC address
    >>
    >> ---- Here's what i tried (desperate measures) ----
    >> 1)ok lastnight i reformatted my laptop with the toshiba
    >> recovery disks, and re-installed msn 6.2, i DID NOT
    >> installl SP2 this time.
    >> 2)i picked a different hotmail account alltogether, one
    >> that i only used on msn a couple of times, i changed the
    >> secret hint question, i changed the password.
    >> 3)i logged onto msn, and the symptom of missing a friend's
    >> message came back.
    >>
    >> ---- conclusions ----
    >> the problem is not:
    >> -is not SP2
    >> -is not windows xp home in itself
    >> -is not that someone hacked my address or is logging on
    >> instead of me or by accident...
    >> -is not the msn program itself or any of its registry
    >> entries
    >>
    >> the problem might be:
    >> -related to my laptop hardware (because our other computer
    >> does not do that)
    >> -related to my networking hardware or its configuaration
    >> -maybe related to a default setting in windows xp home
    >> that comes with toshiba that affects msn?
    >>
    >> it would be funny it it's my laptop or networking hardware
    >> because we've had them for over a year whereas i've had to
    >> problem for about 2-3 months.
    >>
    >> PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I BEG YOU
    >> PLEASE ADVISE
    >>
    >> thank you,
    >> Mike

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Hi,

    Messenger makes outgoing connections for basic functionality like this; what exactly would it
    be blocking?
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Raybo" <spammers_*off@here.now> wrote in message
    > does your router have a built in firewall? they normally do so check the settings . it
    > "may" be blocking your connection?
    >

    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
    >> Greetings Mike,
    >>
    >> Since it's only been the least 2-3 months, when did you get your router?
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Associate Expert
    >>
    >> "Mike" <cdsell69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> and begging for you to just at least let me know that you
    >>> saw this message. please!
    >>> i have done some very thorough testing over the past few
    >>> weeks to see i can fx my problem.
    >>>
    >>> Ok look at this: i have a nice amount of data:
    >>>
    >>> ---- symptoms ----
    >>> my probelem was that sometimes i randomely do not get the
    >>> messages that people send me, and sometimes my msn logs
    >>> off automatically.
    >>>
    >>> ---- configuration -----
    >>> windows XP home on a toshiba laptop, MSN 6.2 latest
    >>> version, wireless netgear router with this computer and
    >>> another desktop PC, allowing only thse 2 computers to
    >>> connect to it via MAC address
    >>>
    >>> ---- Here's what i tried (desperate measures) ----
    >>> 1)ok lastnight i reformatted my laptop with the toshiba
    >>> recovery disks, and re-installed msn 6.2, i DID NOT
    >>> installl SP2 this time.
    >>> 2)i picked a different hotmail account alltogether, one
    >>> that i only used on msn a couple of times, i changed the
    >>> secret hint question, i changed the password.
    >>> 3)i logged onto msn, and the symptom of missing a friend's
    >>> message came back.
    >>>
    >>> ---- conclusions ----
    >>> the problem is not:
    >>> -is not SP2
    >>> -is not windows xp home in itself
    >>> -is not that someone hacked my address or is logging on
    >>> instead of me or by accident...
    >>> -is not the msn program itself or any of its registry
    >>> entries
    >>>
    >>> the problem might be:
    >>> -related to my laptop hardware (because our other computer
    >>> does not do that)
    >>> -related to my networking hardware or its configuaration
    >>> -maybe related to a default setting in windows xp home
    >>> that comes with toshiba that affects msn?
    >>>
    >>> it would be funny it it's my laptop or networking hardware
    >>> because we've had them for over a year whereas i've had to
    >>> problem for about 2-3 months.
    >>>
    >>> PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I BEG YOU
    >>> PLEASE ADVISE
    >>>
    >>> thank you,
    >>> Mike

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Hi Mike,

    I think you're going to have to try and isolate the problem using process of elimination
    (unplug the router, connect directly, see if you can generate the problem on the laptop that
    way, etc.).

    It does sound like you're losing packets or something.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    > ok there we go, i just missed a string messages from
    > another person. So now we know this has nothing to do with
    > any specific msn account. so it could be a windows xp home
    > setting or feature..or maybe a hardware thing
    >
    > Mike :(

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    What ports does Messenger use? maybe they are being blocked perhaps?

    > Hi,
    >
    > Messenger makes outgoing connections for basic functionality like this;
    > what exactly would it be blocking?
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Raybo" <spammers_*off@here.now> wrote in message
    >> does your router have a built in firewall? they normally do so check the
    >> settings . it "may" be blocking your connection?
    >>

    >> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
    >>> Greetings Mike,
    >>>
    >>> Since it's only been the least 2-3 months, when did you get your router?
    >>> Jonathan Kay
    >>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
    >>> Associate Expert
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
    >>> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    >>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
    >>> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
    >>>
    >>> "Mike" <cdsell69@hotmail.com> wrote in message

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Hi,

    1863 or 80.. but if they're signed, then they're already in use.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "raybo" <me@here.com> wrote in message news:eFrOOXXzEHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > What ports does Messenger use? maybe they are being blocked perhaps?
    >

    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Messenger makes outgoing connections for basic functionality like this; what exactly would
    >> it be blocking?
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Associate Expert
    >>
    >> "Raybo" <spammers_*off@here.now> wrote in message
    >>> does your router have a built in firewall? they normally do so check the settings . it
    >>> "may" be blocking your connection?
    >>>

    >>> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Yer your obviously right there Jonathan ... i still think it cud be down to
    his connection although if everything else is working fine then maybe not?
    Oh by the way what exactly is this please ?..........

    vsat-control 1880/tcp Gilat VSAT Control
    the port number you mention (1880) is showing as this.

    > Hi,
    >
    > 1863 or 80.. but if they're signed, then they're already in use.
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "raybo" <me@here.com> wrote in message
    >> What ports does Messenger use? maybe they are being blocked perhaps?
    >>

    >> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Messenger makes outgoing connections for basic functionality like this;
    >>> what exactly would it be blocking?
    >>> Jonathan Kay
    >>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
    >>> Associate Expert
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
    >>> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    >>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
    >>> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
    >>>
    >>> "Raybo" <spammers_*off@here.now> wrote in message

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    i appreciate you guys getting down with this problem. I
    don't know if I mentionned that this account works fine on
    other computers. This would suggest that the problem is
    with some hadware or software configuraion within my
    home.. unless of course the reason I'm not having problems
    outside of the home is because i don't have enough data to
    work with. I.E. I don't use those computers as much as I
    do my home computer. But still..
    It's either something in XP home or with my connection, or
    maybe updated firmware in my router?? Or perhaps the
    combination of two factors, which would make these
    symptoms rare.

    Mike

    wrote in message
    >>> news:OczauKQzEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...