Looking to buy the BEST mobo...uhmmm...what is it?

G

Hi all,
Well, I started asking about CPUs on the "CPU board" and I got some good answers, but now I need to figure out what to do about a motherboard.
I'm looking at getting an AMD CPU. I was toying with the idea of waiting to March or so when the new .13u chips will be coming out, but I was told that the motherboards out now will be compatible with those chips.. and frankly, I've been putting it all off for too long... I'm ready to get something now!
But I want to make sure I get a good quality mobo... something that will handle the new CPUs, something that has a lot of slots for sound cards, video cards, TV cards, modem, etc. and something that can has lots of room for DDR Ram. I do a bit of gaming (with intense 3D graphics), video editing, sound editing, etc.
Right now I have a Soundblaster Live! card, but I'm considering upgrading that as well. But in the meantime I've heard that VIA chipsets are incompatible? Is that true? Should I avoid them?
So, if money is no issue, what do people recommend?
Thanks a lot everyone!

If you don't need raid, or overclock much, the shuttle ak31 version 3.1 ($80 newegg) may be all you need. Has 6 pci slots, 4 ddram slots, and all overclocking adjustments in the bios (no dip switches). I've been running my 1700 xp for almost 3 months at 138 fsb, with few problems. With the money you save, you can buy extra ddram or maybe a better video card. Shuttle has an improved model available at newegg about Jan 20th for $129, the ak35gt, with raid, 5.1 sound, and ata 133 support.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Look no further than the IWill XP333; it's the fastest, most stable, most feature-rich and most overclockable motherboard for an Athlon (XP) system!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

OK AMD_Man I am listening about your XP333. I found some CAS 2 Corsair PC2700. Expensive, but oh so sweet.

The only thing left to complete my thoughts are: what CPU? I'm thinking XP1600, mostly for price, but also since it is not the absolute highest speed grade, thus more likely to take a high overclock.

Of course the goal is obviously the 166MHz FSB.

PS I haven't messed with an AMD since the 486 days (586 133MHz). Is this setup going to require some 150dB 500W fans or liquid N cooling. I might consider water cooling if necessary, for low noise.

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
i don't know/recognize well this Brand as a "Best of Brand"
(not as Asus,Epox,Abit,Aopen,MSI,gigabyte,fic,soyo,tyan)

but no offense.

what do you think about this Iwill Brand ?

if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy.

G

True water is good.

Anybody seen any benches on any XP's running with an overclocked FSB, like I have suggested? Can the AMD's make use of the added memory performance?

Here is what I'm thinking. Start with the XP1600 unlock it to run the FSB at 166MHz, but with ~stock core clock. Then later, when I get paid again, get the water cooling system, lock her back down, and try the overclock.

According to my lame math skills, a locked XP1600 @ 1.4GHz would run at ~1750MHz when the FSB is overclocked to 166MHz. Correct? About a 25% increase in core speed. Is this possible/reasonable, given water cooling?

Comments? Advice?

PS OT always wondered why dudes with water cooling use plain water , and not anti-freeze water mix like in a car

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
What are you talking about? IWill is one of the top of the line brands!! Their most popular mobo was the KK266(Plus)!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
France huh? A country with it's own TV standard purposely made to stop competition with foreign networks. Uh, cars, need I say Citroen? I don't think anyone here cares much about what's available in France, any country like that deserves to be stuck with VIA motherboards! LOL J/K!

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

athalus

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
try the epox 8kha+ ($105 at newegg). 1 agp 4, 6 pci and onboard audio(it stinks). i like the turtle beach santa cruz for sound. i've built 3 machines with them and all run fine.

good luck and have fun.

MaDnEsS

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2001
I was in your shoes as early as yesterday. But thanx to the likes of Crashman and others, they steered me to a sweet mobo. I got the Epox EP 8KHA+ VIA KT266A. It runs perfect with my AMD 1.2. A cool 105-107 F. No probs, easy install and a TON of BIOS tweaking features!" No doubt to be my downfall!" Anyway.. I highly recommend this board as it was highly recommended to me.

"Having to take anger management classes makes me angry" -- Tommy Lee

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
I got my abit kg7 lite with the proper bios tweaks running at 167fsb with no water cooling on a 1.2ghz tbird stable!....i got the bios tweaks off of amdmb.com in the forums...if you get one of these boards and need them let me know...it does have the amd 761 chipset but it ran just as quick as my msi ktpro2 with the kt266a....in benchmarks...but i did try the abit board with my 1900+ xp cpu and couldnt even come close to hitting that fsb....only getting a lame 145...basically due to heating problems....but with water cooling it should be easily overclocked more...good luck

G

Hi Guy,

I am currently looking for a good mobo as well.. and after much research and advised from fellow forum members, my choices has been narrowed down to either:

1. EPOX 8KHA+ or
2. SOLTEK 75DRV2

Now, even though if you are planning to overclock or plan to down the line, it provides you with both options. These MOBO choices of mine are fairly price mobos there are not price like the ABIT or ASUS where you do really pay a a premium for them.

Also another thing to note is whether the mobos have RAIDs. Do you need them? Do you fully utilised them?

I know I don't need RAID. Now if you want to read up on the reviews on these mobos. Do a search for them on google or for a start.. read up on the KT266A mobo round up review here at TOM's hardware guide.. Tom suggested the Soltek 75DRV2 as the best. Of course in terms of overclocking but that doesn't mean it has stability problem. They are all very stable mobos.

If you are wanting speed, The EPOX is rather fast but I have to say all mobos are fairly the same. Just a few % difference

Hope I helped.

Smilley

<b>Assumptions are the MOTHER of all screw ups</b>