advice on setting up home wireless network

hi,

i want to create a home wireless network. i have ntl broadband internet,
which is a 150k. i have a pc with usb ports, and a new laptop. i want to
create a wireless network, and want to know the following?

(BELKIN)
wireless router- f5d6321uk4
pc card (laptop)- f5d6001uk

(will need to get usb adpater, to connect directly to pc)

1. are the above devices correct for my use?
2. wat r the main differences between 'b' and 'g'. in terms of speed,
compatibility. will it appeal to me, as i have a slow internet speed.
3. can i use the laptop only, if the pc is off. (e.g. will the speed of the
laptop increase, as the pc is off, and therefore not using bandwidth.
4. can i share, and play games over the connection. (e.g. play unreal, halo,
over the wireless network from pc to laptop?)
5. can u explain the main advanatges and disadvanatges of this network?
6. r all the devices i want to buy, compatible?

thanx

devin panchal
3 answers Last reply
More about advice setting home wireless network

    "Devin Panchal" <d.panchal@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    > i want to create a home wireless network. i have ntl broadband internet,
    > which is a 150k. i have a pc with usb ports, and a new laptop. i want to
    > create a wireless network, and want to know the following?
    >
    > (BELKIN)
    > wireless router- f5d6321uk4
    > pc card (laptop)- f5d6001uk
    >
    > (will need to get usb adpater, to connect directly to pc)
    >
    > 1. are the above devices correct for my use?

    I don't know Belkin equipment. If the f5d6321uk4 is really a router, and not
    just an AP, then it sounds like you have the right equipment. A router will
    have a wireless port, usually 4 Ethernet ports, and a WAN port to connect to
    an ADSL or cable modem.

    > 2. wat r the main differences between 'b' and 'g'. in terms of speed,
    > compatibility. will it appeal to me, as i have a slow internet speed.

    There are two numbers that get tossed around - throughput and bitrate.
    Bitrate is the speed at which bits can move through the space between your
    laptop and the router. Throughput is the actual effective rate at which you
    can move data between the laptop and the other endpoint.

    The maximum nominal 802.11b bitrate is 11 Mbps, and for 802.11g it is 54
    Mbps. Actual throughput will never exceed about half of these rates - 4-6
    Mbps for 802.11b, 18-22 Mbps for 802.11g. When you're transferring data to
    the the Internet, your throughput will be limited by your broadband
    capacity - in this case 150k (what units is that in - bits/sec, bytes/sec?).

    > 3. can i use the laptop only, if the pc is off. (e.g. will the speed of
    the
    > laptop increase, as the pc is off, and therefore not using bandwidth.

    The pc only uses bandwidth if it's moving data. If it's not running an app
    that moves data on the wifi net, turning it off won't help.

    > 4. can i share, and play games over the connection. (e.g. play unreal,
    halo,
    > over the wireless network from pc to laptop?)

    Should be able to.

    > 5. can u explain the main advanatges and disadvanatges of this network?

    The main advantage is convenience - you don't have to run wires all over the
    place to network your laptop from anywhere you want. Even for immobile
    devices like the PC, it eliminates cables.

    A second advantage is that you will be able to connect your laptop to wifi
    hotspots anywhere in your city - some of them may be free.

    The main disadvantages are the potential for interference, and security.
    Wifi shares unlicensed spectrum with lots of devices (cordless phones,
    Bluetooth, other 802.11 networks), which can cut your throughput. Unless you
    use encryption (WEP, WPA), freeware tools used by hackers can monitor and
    record what goes over your network. Many of these tools can crack WEP, with
    enough data. If you run an unencrypted network, be aware that *anyone* who
    gets a strong signal can connect to your network and use your internet
    connection. This is the most serious problem - unless you intend for the
    whole world to use your net.

    In general, if you use WEP and change keys frequently, security and
    unauthorized use shouldn't be a problem.

    > 6. r all the devices i want to buy, compatible?

    Yes. You should know that 802.11b and 802.11g are mostly compatible with one
    another. All 802.11g adapters can connect as 802.11b devices to an 802.11b
    router or AP, and 802.11b adapters can connect to 802.11g routers or APs
    *if* these have been configured to support hybrid networks. Mixing "b" and
    "g" devices in a "g" net is not really advisable, because the "b" devices
    have a tendency to drag the whole net down to "b" throughput levels.

    > thanx
    >
    > devin panchal

    some more questions.

    1. wat is the range of the wireless network. and through walls.
    2. does adding all the software/drivers, etc. slow the peroformance of the
    computer down. (e.g. does it add anything to startup and registry startup.
    e.g. msconfig??)

    thanx

    devin

    > some more questions.
    >
    > 1. wat is the range of the wireless network. and through walls

    Varies greatly, depending on transmit power, receive sensitivity, and
    construction materials. Look up your equipment's specs on the web - I'm sure
    Belkin has a website. As a general rule of thumb don't expect better than
    300 feet outdoors with off-the-shelf equipment, assuming no obstructions or
    interference. With better antennas, signal boosters, etc., - and the right
    line-of-sight conditions - you can do several miles. Indoors, I wouldn't
    count on better than 100 - 150 feet, and it could be much less. It depends
    on how many walls and floors the signal must pass through, and what they're
    made of.
    ..
    > 2. does adding all the software/drivers, etc. slow the peroformance of the
    > computer down. (e.g. does it add anything to startup and registry startup.
    > e.g. msconfig??)

    If you have a 200 Mhz processor with 64 meg of memory, adding wifi will
    probably be noticeable. If you have a more modern computer with hundreds of
    megabytes of memory and processor performance measured in Ghz, you shouldn't
    notice it, any more than you notice the Ethernet. Any networking adds
    drivers and registry entries, and generally a config utility that starts
    automatically unless you disable it.

    Some people report a performance hit when they use WEP on older 802.11b
    adapters, probably because the encryption is being done in the driver and
    not in the chipset (and their PCs have no compute headroom). Modern chipsets
    do WEP and WPA support in silicon, so there should be no performance hit for
    it.

> [...]
    > > connection. This is the most serious problem - unless you intend for the
    > > whole world to use your net.
    > >
    > > In general, if you use WEP and change keys frequently, security and
    > > unauthorized use shouldn't be a problem.
    > >
    > > > 6. r all the devices i want to buy, compatible?
    > >
    > > Yes. You should know that 802.11b and 802.11g are mostly compatible with
    > one
    > > another. All 802.11g adapters can connect as 802.11b devices to an
    802.11b
    > > router or AP, and 802.11b adapters can connect to 802.11g routers or APs
    > > *if* these have been configured to support hybrid networks. Mixing "b"
    and
    > > "g" devices in a "g" net is not really advisable, because the "b"
    devices
    > > have a tendency to drag the whole net down to "b" throughput levels.

Laptops Wireless Network Internet Wireless Networking