Problem:what do I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snaggle

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
Really annoying new problem,IE is having what 'flashes'on the top tool bar and on the favorites section,when I come to THG a window pops up asking me to install "chinese(simplified)text display support" to properly display the characters,when closing down windows it often gives the black screen of death instead,when I press the resent botton I'm asked if I want windows to "continue writing scripts",also the windows hourglass often pops up when I'm doing nothing(while browsing).All of these thing started happening at the same time...so what's my problem?

Boilermaker

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
as far as installing the chinese text display support, that isnt abnormal, something in that webpage requires those files to display properly. just click the check box that says to "never install any language packs" if you are tired of seeing that message.

i really couldnt speak to what will help with your other problems. i'm sure somebody is going to suggest that you scan for viruses, install adaware, zone alarm or something similar if you havent already.

i've been using mozilla firebird as my default browser for a few months now. i dont know if its faster than ie, and it has problems once in a while displaying web pages correctly. what i do know is that the amount of problems i've had from popup windows, viruses, spyware, etc has gone down considerably.

Snaggle

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
I thought it was hackers;but just new spyware and key loggers.I had ad-adware up and spybot on the other PC;but either of them detected the new stuff :eek: ;payed for NoAdaware and the problems ended :smile: .I think I'll get spyhunter too [wink}.The new boys are just too 'good' :mad: .

Spybot is updated regularly... it's important to keep your anti-spyware products up to date; just like your anti-virus products. With the newest updates, I think Spybot detects just over 13 000 bits of spyware.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Snaggle

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
Yeah,one must update software.Spybot is great,as is adaware;but noadware found stuff they missed and is faster and easier to use than even spybot.I think all of the anti-spyware programs have exploitable hole in them,which the bad guys are using.Adaware,also,finds things that noadware misses.

metatrophia

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2004
concerning the chinese language pack install prompt at the entrance of the forum...whats the deal with that anyway? are there really any chinese characters on this page, or did someone make a boo-boo in the markup?

Status
Not open for further replies.