Mail problems with Belkin7630

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
July 4, 2004 4:43:14 PM

Hi,

I have a Belkin 7630 Wireless Modem and Router. I use BT Broadband here in
the UK and it has run fine until I installed this router/modem.

Now all is fine except sending mail. This is intermittent in that most times
the progress bar in Express moves along a short way then stops and I time
out preventing mail to be sent. Once or twice the mail gets through OK.

I have turned off the firewall in the router and this makes no difference.
The mail service uses SMTP authentication.

I have noticed that occassionally some web pages do not load as well, this
may be a coincidence or linked to the mail problem.

I am now back on a wired router but this kind of defeats the object !! I
have spent 2 hours or so on various helpdesks so most of the "obvious"
things have been checked. All seems well now I am back on a wired router so
the problem clearly lies with the Belkin set up.

Any clues?
TIA
Lee
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 4, 2004 4:43:15 PM

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 12:43:14 +0000 (UTC), "LJS" <leesugden@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I have a Belkin 7630 Wireless Modem and Router. I use BT Broadband here in
>the UK and it has run fine until I installed this router/modem.

Deja Vu. See:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10436211~mode=fl...
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10070950~mode=fl...
Note the large number of people confirming flakey connection issues.

I have a similar model Belkin sitting in a box in my office. It drove
me nuts. Browsing was erratic, frequent disconnects, and chronic
hangs and timeouts on my telnet and SSH sessions on both the ethernet
and wireless ports. Eventually, I determined that the Belkin config
for the maximum packet size (MTU) was by payload instead of
encasulated payload value. Therefore instead of the usual 1500 (or
1492 for PPPoE), I had to set it to 1462 (1454 for PPPoE). That
mostly fixed the jerky performance, but did nothing for the wireless
dropouts. No firmware updates beyond 1.0 on the Belkin web pile. I
gave up, replaced it with something else, and lived peacefully ever
after.

Also, if you happen to be running Windoze XP, please check if you have
the latest wireless updates:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;826942

There are some notes in the 2nd URL list on using SMC firmware instead
of the Belkin firmware. If you don't get stability by twiddling with
the settings, this might be a drastic, but suitable remidy.

>Now all is fine except sending mail. This is intermittent in that most times
>the progress bar in Express moves along a short way then stops and I time
>out preventing mail to be sent. Once or twice the mail gets through OK.
>
>I have turned off the firewall in the router and this makes no difference.
>The mail service uses SMTP authentication.
>
>I have noticed that occassionally some web pages do not load as well, this
>may be a coincidence or linked to the mail problem.
>
>I am now back on a wired router but this kind of defeats the object !! I
>have spent 2 hours or so on various helpdesks so most of the "obvious"
>things have been checked. All seems well now I am back on a wired router so
>the problem clearly lies with the Belkin set up.
>
>Any clues?
>TIA
>Lee

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 4, 2004 9:56:04 PM

Thanks - great post and suggestions. Will look at all options suugested.
Fingers crossed !!

!