cant logon to windows messenger in windows xp

since i installed service pack 2 i continuosly receive an
error message when trying to logon...either the service
is not available or not connected to the internet yet i
can access all other internet sites - pls help...thanks

Greetings,

Here are some suggestions you should check/try if you haven't already:

1. The date on your computer needs to be set properly -- double click the clock verify that
the time and date are set.
2. If your password information is not saved, verify that you are typing it in with the
correct case (uppercase or lowercase).
3. Change your password @ http://memberservicesnet.passport.com/memberservice.srf to
something smaller (under 10-12 characters), then try signing in again.
4. If you use a firewall (like ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security etc. ), it's possible
that Messenger doesn't have the correct rights to access the Internet, especially since you
upgraded. You may need to re/add Messenger to the allowed list of programs in your firewall
if this is the case.
5. If you disabled your firewall in the past, it still may be blocking Messenger -- try
restarting it and see if that helps the situation. You also might try uninstalling an
installed firewall, to verify that it isn't causing a problem (even if it is disabled).
6. Clear your IE cache and cookies -- open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, then
Internet Options, then click the Delete Files button, and when that's complete click the
Delete Cookies button.
7. Check your IE Security settings -- open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, then
Internet Options, then Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section, and verify that "Check
for server certificate revocation" is unchecked. Also verify that 'Use SSL 2.0' and Use SSL
3.0' is checked, then click OK.
8. Click Start, then Run, and enter the following:
regsvr32 softpub.dll
then click OK
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"lesleygwen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> since i installed service pack 2 i continuosly receive an
> error message when trying to logon...either the service
> is not available or not connected to the internet yet i
> can access all other internet sites - pls help...thanks

hi, thanks for the response...i have tried all your
suggestions and completed all the corrections except that
i cannot get in to change the password the site does not
load. i still cannot get into messenger...i have been
told that messenger could be overloaded or the site could
be down but this cannot be for days on end. what else do
you suggest as i desperately need to chat tonight...we
managed to logon last weekend after we had loaded service
pack 2 but since then have been experiencing this
problem. Pls help thanks

Jonathan Kay.

>"lesleygwen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message
>> since i installed service pack 2 i continuosly receive
an
>> error message when trying to logon...either the service
>> is not available or not connected to the internet yet i
>> can access all other internet sites - pls
help...thanks

>.

Your problem may be the Firewall associated with SP2. Have you checked to
make sure that Messenger is on the 'Allow" list? Do you know how to do
this?? If not repost and someone will lead you thru the process.

Joel

> hi, thanks for the response...i have tried all your
> suggestions and completed all the corrections except that
> i cannot get in to change the password the site does not
> load. i still cannot get into messenger...i have been
> told that messenger could be overloaded or the site could
> be down but this cannot be for days on end. what else do
> you suggest as i desperately need to chat tonight...we
> managed to logon last weekend after we had loaded service
> pack 2 but since then have been experiencing this
> problem. Pls help thanks

Hi,

The firewall in SP2 blocks incoming connections only, Messenger (to login and just use the
service) makes outgoing connections exclusively, the firewall won't cause a problem
regardless if Messenger has any rights at all.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Joel Estes" <joel@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Your problem may be the Firewall associated with SP2. Have you checked to make sure that
> Messenger is on the 'Allow" list? Do you know how to do this?? If not repost and someone
> will lead you thru the process.
>
> Joel
>
> "lesleygwen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> hi, thanks for the response...i have tried all your
>> suggestions and completed all the corrections except that
>> i cannot get in to change the password the site does not
>> load. i still cannot get into messenger...i have been
>> told that messenger could be overloaded or the site could
>> be down but this cannot be for days on end. what else do
>> you suggest as i desperately need to chat tonight...we
>> managed to logon last weekend after we had loaded service
>> pack 2 but since then have been experiencing this
>> problem. Pls help thanks

we tried what jonathen said and it still did not work...
jonathen can you assist as we are going truly mad...
thanks...

wrote in message
>>> hi, thanks for the response...i have tried all your
>>> suggestions and completed all the corrections except
that
>>> i cannot get in to change the password the site does
not
>>> load. i still cannot get into messenger...i have been
>>> told that messenger could be overloaded or the site
could
>>> be down but this cannot be for days on end. what else
do
>>> you suggest as i desperately need to chat tonight...we
>>> managed to logon last weekend after we had loaded
service
>>> pack 2 but since then have been experiencing this
>>> problem. Pls help thanks

Hal

I have same problem.
I tried what Jonathan said and it didn't work.

Please help us!

TRENDING THREADS