win2k error

juno

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a problem when i tried to install win2k. It won't let me install it. It gives me an error message that i have "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE" and the error message told me to check:
1.check "Virus">>> (I have formatted my HD before install win2k and then I installed win98 and check the virus with mcafee [virus not found] (win98 worked)
2. "Removed any newly installed HD or HD-controller">>>i didn't install any new HD. But I am not sure about HD-controller. What does it mean by that?
**I don't know that I use Promise controller or Onboard (via) IDE controller. How can I know which one I use? But I connect my HD to the Primary Ultra ATA 100 IDE and every time I boot on the mointor screen I see "promise bios build28". It gives me the information how big my HD is. Also in BIOS setup I set Primary Master >>> "Auto". Is this mean that I use "Promise Controler or not?
If the problem come form the HD controller, What I should do about either of them(the controllers) so i can install win2k.

3."Check you HD to make sure it is properly configured and terminated">>> What should i do with this error message.

please give me any suggestions
thanks
juno

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If your HD is listed on the Promise BIOS screen the drive is connected to the Promise controller.

You should have a floppy disk disk that came with your system that contains drivers for the promise card.

When you run Win2000 setup it will say "hit F6 to install any third party controller drivers" (or something to that effect). When you hit F6 it will ask you to insert the driver disk.

This is all clearly explained in your manual.

- JW