AV / Windows Messenger

I have Windows Messenger v4.7 installed and Norton
Antivirus 2005.
Whenever I start my Windows Messenger, I'm getting a
window from windows installer that tells me Can't
rinstall Norton Antivirus.
And after several messeges the Messenger is working fine.

I tried to reinstall the Messenger and AV but without
results.
Any ideas why this is happening?

I'm using WinXP Pro SP2 with the latest updates
MSN Messenger v6.2 installed and working good.
Windows Messenger 4.7.3000
Norton Antivirus 2005 with the latest updates

Greetings Matrix,

You might try turning off Norton's Messenger integration. To do so, open Norton Antivirus,
click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Matrix2004" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows Messenger v4.7 installed and Norton
> Antivirus 2005.
> Whenever I start my Windows Messenger, I'm getting a
> window from windows installer that tells me Can't
> rinstall Norton Antivirus.
> And after several messeges the Messenger is working fine.
>
> I tried to reinstall the Messenger and AV but without
> results.
> Any ideas why this is happening?
>
> I'm using WinXP Pro SP2 with the latest updates
> MSN Messenger v6.2 installed and working good.
> Windows Messenger 4.7.3000
> Norton Antivirus 2005 with the latest updates

Thanks, It worked !!!
Can someone please tell me why this is happening?

Jonathan Kay.

>"Matrix2004" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message
>>I have Windows Messenger v4.7 installed and Norton
>> Antivirus 2005.
>> Whenever I start my Windows Messenger, I'm getting a
>> window from windows installer that tells me Can't
>> rinstall Norton Antivirus.
>> And after several messeges the Messenger is working
fine.

>> I tried to reinstall the Messenger and AV but without
>> results.
>> Any ideas why this is happening?
>>
>> I'm using WinXP Pro SP2 with the latest updates
>> MSN Messenger v6.2 installed and working good.
>> Windows Messenger 4.7.3000
>> Norton Antivirus 2005 with the latest updates
>

>.

Hi,

The Windows Installer will automatically try to determine if an application has been
"damaged" and automatically will try repairing it to fix the problem. Unfortunately in some
configurations and after some modifications this can occur even when there is no problem.
This is the first I've heard of within the interaction between Norton and Messenger however.

In case you're wondering though, you're not really losing any functionality by turning this
off -- all this feature does is automatically scan files when they arrive through Messenger
as opposed to when you run/view them, and as such, you're not really any less secure nor is
there any hole here where viruses could be allowed in.

> Thanks, It worked !!!
> Can someone please tell me why this is happening?

Thanks

Hi,

You're very welcome =)