Epox 8KHA+ Help!!!

G

Someone help me, please!!

I decided to build my own computer about three months ago... and it's still not working!! What I'm running:

Athlon XP 1700
Swiftech MCX370-OA CPU Fan
EP-8KHA+ AMD Athlon(Palomino) DDR VIA KT266A ATX
Western Digital 80 gb hd
Soundblaster Live Platinum 5.1
Geforce 2 GTS 64mb
400w Power Supply
Case Fan
2 Sticks Apacer 256 DDR PC2100
Creative Labs 52x CD-ROM

The first time I set up my computer, I recieved a faulty motherboard so I had to send it back to the dealer and get it replaced. Then after I got the new motherboard (which actually turned on this time), the computer would turn on and go into windows, but then it would shut off after a given time period, no matter what I was doing. The CPU temperature at startup would read 49; if you left the computer (idle) in BIOS for 15 minutes, the temperature would reach 57. This lead me to get a new power supply and case fans, because I read on another forum with someone who had a similar problem that it could be heat-related. To boot, my computer started not sending a signal to the monitor. But after replacing the PS and adding a case fan, the signal to the monitor still isnt there. My graphics card works fine; I've tested it in another computer. The post code on the mobo is C1; in the manual, it says:

C1h:
Detect memory
- Auto-detection of DRAM size, type, and ECC.
- Auto-detection of L2 cache (socket 7 or below)

Anyone have any ideas, any suggestions? Some people say that it could be a problem with the memory slots on the Mobo, or the CPU itself. If so, would there be a signal to the monitor? And how likely is it that the CPU would have a problem with it? I'm out of ideas; this computer has taken forever to build. Any help would be appreciated. Could it be a BIOS problem?

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Tricky.
Well, first: Just use the things that are necessary.
Try using only the Graphicscard & Mem and see if it works.

You said you got into Windows and then the computer shut down, to me this seems to be a heat related problem.
Propably the CPU got to hot!

Did you apply thermal paste on the CPU?, this is important!

Well, that´s all I can come up with...
I hope that it works out for you.

Enjoy.

svol

Champion
If your CPU is fried you will not get anything on the monitor, and the mobo wont give any beeps when you remove the videocard and/or the mem (atleast that was what my Abit KG7 did), but reset the BIOS to be sure it isn't a BIOS error.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
First Off. Check your FSB dipswitches. I couldnt get video cuz my FSB settings on the mobo were wrong. The manual was WRONG! So have a look at the mobo itself and ensure all our dipswitches are in the correct position. Experiment with some settings too. Had a buddy whose board wouldnt post at the 133 fsb, set it down to 100 and BAM... it worked fine.
If you have dipswitches for the memory too, play with those. I have got 3 different boards that wouldnt post. THen i played with the switches, and they magically posted.
SECOND. Try several different kinds of memory if you can. I had some bad memory cause board not to post and not get signal to moniter.
Third, make sure, like the man said, to have thermal grease on the HSF. If the cpu burned up, i am told it gives off a distinct smell. Though i have not burned one up, so im not sure on that one.
Finally, if any of the above works. Lemme know. All too often people get their stuff working and never reply how they got it going.

svol

Champion
Yes, it smells like burned plastic or something like that... and I can know it because it happened to me yesterday :frown: .

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

G

I am having the EXACT same problem with the same Epox board. Unfortunately, none of the replies offered much help for me. Have you had any luck in solving your Epox issues?

Pertaining to the subsequent posts:

1) The board does not have any dip switches (only jumpers to reset the CMOS and change the bus from 100mhz to 133mhz--of which I went ahead and tried changing both to no avail.)

2) I have tried two different DDR DIMMS and have tried using various slot with each of them.

3) In my case, I haven't (yet) fried the processor--I have had the same prolonged beep and C1 message from the internal LED ever since I put it together.

Does anyone have any more ideas? Like NAD said, the manual says it is a memory error--but it seems unlikely that both DIMMS I bought on different occasions are bad. I have had an old Mobo with bad SDRAM slots (while oddly enough the EDO slots were fine) and I, too, am beginning to wonder if this may be the same problem.

Gladman

G

Sorry, Glad, I've had no luck for quite some time now.

But yet it's nice to know that I'm not alone, as unlucky as we both are. :)

I dont see any other possibilities with my computer. The CPU is not fried. The only things that could be wrong are the slots on the mobo.

There's a computer show rolling into town soon... does anyone have any suggestions, based on my system, of a good mobo to get? I don't plan on overclocking.

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Ok if ya got no dipswitches, then check the bios. Most boards you can alter the FSB, Voltage and multiplier in BIOS. I would try to lower the FSB and see if that helps. Then move on to the multiplier. Of course none of this helps if ya cant get to bios. So lemme know if ya can get into it.
Also, are your memory types asynchronos? I assume you tried just one stick in the mobo then another? Have you tried pc1600, pc133, pc2100? Parity, non-parity etc etc. in other words try every type of stick you can afford. Some boards have issues with types of memory.
Have ya tried using new/different IDE cables ( i assume so since most boards come with IDE cables).
Anyway, the most important thing is canya get to bios?

jackzheng

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
I have set up two AthlonXP + KT266A pcs, one with MSI K7T266 Pro2 for myself, and the other with exactly the same as you for my parents. I don't have any problem with them. The CPU temp is only around 25 in the winter, and case temp is aound 15(XP1500+MSI mobo+ Glabolwin Fop32-1). I don't know the temp of the pc, but I think that there won't be too much difference(XP1600+Epox mobo+Coolermaster cpu fan).
However, when I install the epox one, I found some problem. Sometimes the monitor display no signal. It might result from the bad contact of the signal cable from the monitor because the monitor is an old one.
The FSB setting should not be a prolbem, and it only decide the speed of your CPU and the power supply is not a prolbem either. In your case, I think that 300W has already been enough for you.
If the temp of your CPU is too high, you might need a suitalbe CPU fan. Using the fan recomended by AMD is always good.

G

i have the exact same prob with my epox 8kha. i get the same exact post code. i tried switching to 100 FSB instead of 133. i tried reseting the bios with the jumper. my friend says that sometimes you may have to load a bios before it will work. how do you load a bios without being able to boot?