Goldman

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
I can't believe THG et al. praising UT2003's graphics when there's hardly any fancy new stuff in there. Where's interobject cast shadows like shouldn't the big gun held in right hand cast shadow on character's right leg? Infact there's no such things as shadows it UT2003, let alone multiple cast shadows from actual lights or gunbursts, interobject or otherwise. Beatiful colors or fakeparticles just won't cut it anymore.

Look, either game has 'mind boggling' graphics or it doesn't, but since you wrote 'mind boggling' I expected to see graphics with every new effect included, bumb and displacement mapping, volumetric stuff like fogs & clouds, real cast (interobject) shadows from every lightsource there is.. you know, the stuff man! Like those technology demos have from nvidia and others.

I understand that garphics quality must make room for playable framerates but then we aren't talking about 'mind boggling' graphics anymore. All I'm asking is, don't hype product's qualities if it can't really deliver.

Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
On what system are you running UT2K3?
Maybe thats the problem...you certainly won't notice anything great if your not running it on a vid card with at least Directx 8 support!

"once when I stuck a straw up my ass and delivered a warm one into her cup of coffee....."
-Wingding

dhlucke

Polypheme
Do you remember the first time you played these games? Hopefully you played them when they were brand new.

Tomb Raider
Unreal
Unreal Tournament
Black and White
Sacrifice
Giants
Alice
Max Payne
Dungeon Siege II
Medal of Honor Allied Assault

In one way or another; either gameplay, graphics, or both, I was pretty damn impressed. I could probably list others, but UT2K3 just didn't hit that nerve.

There are other good games as well, like SOF2 or NWN, that might be fun, but didn't really give me the same affect.

Nonetheless, lately, there have been a number of dissapointments. War Craft III, UT2K3, and BF1942 to name a few. They're big name games but they just didn't impress me.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I have to agree, the first time i saw Unreal i thought the graphics were increadible. When i first played Warcraft2 the intro sequence looked awesome. But there was nothing in UT2003 that really made me stop and say "wow that is kewl". It just felt like another shooter with interesting particle effects less angular rooms. I still prefer the origional Ut simply because the gameplay is great.

Why use windows when you can use doors?

HolyShiznit

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
UT2k3 is a good game. Good graphics. But it "lacked soul", if I can say such a thing about a game. The same goes for Warcraft 3.

<font color=blue>
--------------------------------------------------
Guns kill people just like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
<font color=blue>

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Yeh but the cut scenes in warcraft3 were kewl with a capital K. I played the game just to watch them. Although the game did lack a certain somthing, its been a long time since ive found a game that will keep me playing for hours. I think the Sims was the last one.

Why use windows when you can use doors?

G

I liked the movies in Warcraft 3 so much I cheated by watching the movies before I beat the game.

UT2003 looks like the best game I've ever seen on 1280X1024, all settings on max. Some people here think the graphics are pretty so-so, but EVERY PROFFESSIONAL GAME WEBSITE/MAGAZINE has praised the graphics. They've been in the business for years, and they know what good eye-candy is. All of my friends think the graphics are kick-ass. I agree the gameplay is pretty bland compared to the old one, but seemingly everyone thinks the graphics are currently the best.

I think Unreal 2 (February release) will be even better.

-I'm not stupid, I'm just big-boned!-

HolyShiznit

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
I think Unreal 2 (February release) will be even better.
....and then comes Doom3.

<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Not that knowledgable about this stuff buy the Splinter Cell demo seems to have some pretty interesting shadow effects.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

HolyShiznit

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
Yeah UT2k3 is really nice. I guess there are only so many level polygons you can appreciate while running around blasting things though. Framerates are excellent. I wish it were easier to spot players though. They stood out better in the original.

<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>

roomy

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
ut2k3 is ok....
i wish the kinds of game were more varied though, although the football game was kool.

haha i still play q3 and it still kikz azz.

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I'm not a huge fan of ut2k3, it's ok and everything don't get me wrong.

If I ever play lan games at my house we still use the original Unreal Tournament though. First off, it runs extremely nice on an ok system, and it's a classic. I've yet to discover the cool feel that UT gives me.

And the original Unreal, not ut, was one of few games to make me honestly jump, as in being scared for a moment. A few others would be Resident Evil, and Eternal Darkness (for the gamecube)

It's all good ^_^