Windows 98 or ME?

G

This may be a FAQ; if so, I'm sorry -- but my connectivity
is a bit crippled tonight and I just can't spend any more
time searching.

I'm building a system (rather like the one in Tom's how-to)
and am stuck for a choice of OS's. Well, not really; it'll
be a dual-boot box with Mandrake Linux as the primary
choice, but for historical, professional and familial
reasons I need a Windersish boot as well.

Windows ME is touted by MSFT as the "successor" to W98, but
I learned a <i>long</i> time ago not to trust them without
verification. Plus, as I read the various minimum system
requirements for all of the peripherals on my list, I
rarely see ME listed -- but I <i>do</i> see W2000.

So I'm wondering: is ME maybe some stripped-down version of
W98, or something like that? Should I install W98 on this
new box? Or even W2000?

Either way I'm going to have to buy a full-up or OEM
version of whatever my choice is, since it's a from-the-
ground-up build and I absolutely refuse to bootleg s/w --
even from the Great Satan.

So does anyone have any ideas about what I should do here?

Thanks in advance....

G

If you want a reliable, stable OS Windows2000 is the way to go and is in my mind the best OS that Microsoft has produced to-date. The trouble is that a lot of games and programs that are made for 98 & ME won’t run in it! Luckly win2000 lets you install win98 as secondary OS in case you need to run an incompatible program (all this does however take up over a gig of HD space)! I have a friend who recently bought ME and I helped him to install it. It is definitely more stable than win98 but not as much so as win2000. It has some nice features like a restore of itself that allows you to backup its configuration at anytime and go back if you have any problems down the track. It does have an annoying feature of not allowing you boot into or shut down to DOS, I’m not sure why Microsoft decided to do away with this? Once again all this takes up nearly a gig of HD space and I preferred to stick with my win2000/98 set-up. The only advantage ME offered me over my win200/98 set-up was the ability to run all my software from the one OS and I was not willing to sacrifice win2000’s rock solid stability for this.

G

Get yourself a cheep copy of Win98 from a computer fair. It'll crash lots but it wont cost you alot. I got my OS from one of these fairs for £20 ($10) and it says "COMPAQ for distribution with new PC's" only on the user manual cover. I wonder what that means :)

Whats all this about square pegs and round holes?