Long date in taskbar

tstng

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
I have a weird issues with the long date format in Win 7. I like displaying the long date in the system tray beneath the clock and did it easily by changing the short date format to be like the long one (dddd, MMMM dd, yyyy). However, the long display date disappeared today but the extra space used by it is still there and if I change it back to the short one (MM/d/yyyy) it works fine. This is the first time this ever happened and I've been using long dates since RC without any issues. At first I thought it was the security updates installed these days but after uninstalling them the problem wasn't fixed. Any ideas?

Edit: after some more fiddling i found out the problem is with "today". The long date would be "Wednesday, August 04, 2010" and it apparently too long to display because dddd, MMM dd, yyyy (instead of MMMM) which is "Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010" works fine. So it's a minor bug in Win7. There seems to be a maximum allowed space for displaying the date which is strange since there's plenty of room on the taskbar (1680*1050 res on 22" screen) and the taskbar is not locked.

jakes_winteam

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Are you sure it's just a problem with today's date? Let me know if the date doesn't display correctly again tomorrow.

Here's a separate way to make the long date display on the taskbar (instead of right-clicking the clock), just in case:
1. Control Panel

2. System and Security

3. Clock, Language and Region

4. Date and Time

5. Change Date and Time (link)

6. Change Date and Time (button)

7. Change calendar settings

- Jake

Windows Outreach Team

tstng

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
The date displays fine today. I guess the problem is going to reappear every Wednesday. However it's really strange I haven't noticed it only now. An explanation could be that I used Win7 RC up until February (when it expired), and the following months were all "less characters" than August. I guess the following months, every Wednesday the date is going to disappear. :sarcastic:

Here's a screenie i made of how it's displayed today and how it was displayed yesterday (actually it's still today I just changed the date to make the screenshot for comparison)
Longdate.png

jakes_winteam

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Have you tried pressing the "Reset" button under Calendar Settings and starting over from square one?

I'm sure you already know how to get there, but just in case...

Right-click the clock in the taskbar > Adjust date/time > Change date and time > Change calendar settings

- Jake

Windows Outreach Team

tstng

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009

No, I haven't tried reseting it, but I don't think it's giong to do anything since nothing is actually "broken" as it's working fine with any other day of the week except Wednesday (9 chars, all other days are 8 chars or less). I just think MS added a 25 char limit in the system tray since RC. It never happend in RC (January, February 7 and 8 chars, August only 6) and March, April, May, June, July are all less chars than August so it never went over the 25 char limit (that's including commas and space). But that's going to change in the folowing months, and it's going to affect other days as well because September 9 chars, August only 6, thats +3 chars so it's giong to go over 25 chars often.
I don't know if there's a setting somewhere to adjust the maximum lenght manually, but I guess I'm going to use a shorter format if I don't find a fix (dddd, MMM dd, yyyy instead of dddd, MMMM dd, yyyy).

KWS77

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Dude, your directions are not accurate at all. First off, there is no "System and Security" link in "Control Panel" and the rest of your path is not really navigable. Please be accurate.

Pathwalker

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
I have the same/similar problem. Today, Wednesday, August 7th, 2013, (what is normally displayed) is now only the time. I ran some tests and last Wednesday it was OK, but today it is not. Other days of the week are OK, and are OK in future months ahead---but all the Wednesdays just show the time. I have refreshed the settings, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

tstng

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009

The only workaround I found is to limit the month to 3 chars only (Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, etc). This way it does not exceed the stupid char limit MS seem to have set in place. So now it's Thursday, Aug 08, 2013 instead of Thursday, August 08, 2013.

Pathwalker

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
I have displayed the full date in italics every day except Wednesday. Everything fits as the bar expands to accept the additional letters. As it is always Wednesday, and others have the same issue, something is fishy. If I find out what it is I will post it here.

tstng

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009

The bar does expand but there is a hidden char limit. So during months with more chars, like September, other days would also cause problems, not just Wednesday.