Help with new computer!

G

I am planning on building my first computer towards the beginning February and would like to run a few things by you to see if there is anything that would better suit my needs. I plan on using it for gaming and double as my DVD player since I don't have one. I've pretty much decided to go with an Athlon XP 1900+ processor. With the release of the 2000+ the price should come down on it and would give me plenty of speed. From what I've read on these forums I should get the Radeon 8500 because of the good quality tv-out for movies. I am leaning toward the Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum for the quality and 5.1 sound. What I have no idea about is the motherboard. I dont think it would be wise for me to get a VIA based motherboard because of the compatibility and other issues. What i dont want to happen is for me to build this thing and find out that the hardware I've chosen to go with it isnt compatible with the motherboard.

That pretty much starts off my system and any additional or replacement hardware you recommend please post. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am new to this and am learning as I go along. Thanks in advance!

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
well i don't know if you hate via, but if you don't i think you should go for the abit kr7a. it is the best mobo on the market now and it should remain the best for a bit. try to get the pc 3000 ddr ram since the mobo can use it. the 3gb bandwith should help big time. every thing looks good other than that.

<font color=purple><b>I have a pc with a built-in house.</b> :wink: </font color=purple>

G

It's not that I hate VIA it's just I have heard many people talking about how unstable their chipsets are and how they have compatibility issues with other hardware for example Creative's Sound Blaster. There was also that problem with the whole PCI latency thing. I dont know if these problems happen with all the motherboards or if the only people that post just had a bad experience with them. Maybe these issues can be resolved easily or will be fixed with an upcoming VIA update which would be nice if it is. And also, I checked out the kr7a board. It looks good. Just one question. Do you think that I should use the raid or should I just get a single 7200 rpm hard drive? Thanks again!