i got two messenger windows

ren

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2001

hi i got msn messenger 6.2 and windows messenger the one i have been using is
messenger 6.2 but recently every time i sign on the net my windows messenger
signs on by it self and i dont know why i tried to remove it but no succest
any ideals im running windows xp

Greetings Ren,

You'll simply need to disable Windows Messenger. To do so, open it up (click Start, then
Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK), click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this
Program when Windows starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on
version) as well as 'Allow this program to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger
to run in the background' (depending on version). This won't remove Windows Messenger, so
features like Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing will continue to work,
but it will let it stay out of your way.

Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a
new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause it to
also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

ren Wrote:
> hi i got msn messenger 6.2 and windows messenger the one i have been
> using is
> messenger 6.2 but recently every time i sign on the net my windows
> messenger
> signs on by it self and i dont know why i tried to remove it but no
> succest
> any ideals im running windows xp

Hi Ren

I had the same issue
what I did was open Taskmanager and go to the process list
Windows messenger shows itself as msmsgs.exe

what you do is rightclick msmsgs.exe and select "end process tree"
a warning will come up ,,, just click OK

then go to C:\Program Files\Messenger in windows explorer and
rename
Msmsgs.exe to Msmsgs.pain
Also in that directory rename msmsgsin.exe to msmsgsin.pain

and there you go ...," dun like dinner"...lol.., no more windows
messenger loading on boot up

have fun

--
leatherr