Tom's shootout- unfair?

G

Considering the current controversy over the nforce chipset's memory problems (use of the third socket disables the nforce's twinbank memory system), I find it odd that this comparison would use three memory units:
Memory 1 256 MB, PC2100, 266 MHz DDR, CL2.0, Micron
Memory 2 2 x 128 MB, PC2100, 266 MHz DDR, CL2.0, Micron

Thereby disabling the advantage that the nforce has. I understand if the limitation in expandability is addressed in another section and considered a 'con' for the chipset, but i don't think that the benchamark setups are fair using the setup described. How would this have turned out if only 2 x 256 mb pc2100 memory units were used?

svol

Champion
I think that they tested it with only one DIMM in it and then with the two in it, but I can be wrong because the article is a little weird on that point. If they tested with 3 DIMM's then it's surtainly unfair.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

G

Even if they tested it with just one DIMM it would be unfair and when testing with two, they have to use the appropriate DIMM slots also.

svol

Champion
They don't say anything about how the memory is placed, so there is a chance that the result are unfair, and that the NVidia bords perform much better. You have to mail them to ask which set up they used.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

derway

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2002
Also, consideringing there is no cl2.0 DDR made by micron.

Or am I just unable to find it?

I know, the cl2.5 works fine at cas = 2, and I have had no trouble with crucial ddr, but still.

Is there any place that does regular reviews of all the current memory manufacturers for speed, and reliability?

I got some kingston pc2100, which would not run reliably in my AMD xp1800+ MSI system, while the crucial had no problem.