Unable to send video in MSN Messenger

November 24, 2004 9:59:03 PM

I have MSN Messenger v6.2.0.137 installed in a clean WinXP Pro SP2 freshly
installed PC. I have a Sony DCRTRV950 connected via firewire to the PC. The
PC recognized it, no conflicts in device manager and it shows in MY COMPUTER
(displays image).
I want to use it as webcam for MSN and I went thru the Audio/Video Wizard,
everything fine.
While I'm chatting with a contact I click on the WEBCAM icon in the chat
window so that my contact can see me and the following message shows up:

"
Your conversation cannot begin because your camera is currently in use or
not plugged in. Make sure your camera is available and try again.

Technical problems prevent you from having a webcam conversation at this
time. Please try again later."

This message shows up all the time. On the other hand if my contact requests
that I send him video the following message shows up:

"[11:35:52 PM] You have accepted the invitation to start sending
webcam.
[11:35:53 PM] Your conversation cannot begin because your camera is
currently in use or not plugged in. Make sure your
camera is available and try again.
[11:35:53 PM] Technical problems prevent you from having a webcam
conversation at this time. Please try again later."

How can I fix this?
Thanks.
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 1:07:05 PM

Greetings Alegator,

There are actually two different video functions within MSN Messenger 6.x. The first, the
"Webcam" function, which is tested by the "Web Camera Settings" dialog, basically supports
actual "Webcam"s only. It does not support DV/firewire cameras, digital cameras, or video
card inputs. The second, the "Video Conference" function is tested by the Audio/Video Tuning
Wizard, supports most devices including DV cameras and video card inputs and uses the same
functionality as Windows Messenger.

The Video Conference and Audio/Video Tuning Wizard will only be available on Windows XP (and
both you and your contact must be using Windows XP in order for it to work). Assuming both
of you are using Windows XP, try using the Video Conference feature instead, by clicking the
Actions menu within a conversation window and choosing 'Start Video Conference'.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"alegator" <alegator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have MSN Messenger v6.2.0.137 installed in a clean WinXP Pro SP2 freshly
> installed PC. I have a Sony DCRTRV950 connected via firewire to the PC. The
> PC recognized it, no conflicts in device manager and it shows in MY COMPUTER
> (displays image).
> I want to use it as webcam for MSN and I went thru the Audio/Video Wizard,
> everything fine.
> While I'm chatting with a contact I click on the WEBCAM icon in the chat
> window so that my contact can see me and the following message shows up:
>
> "
> Your conversation cannot begin because your camera is currently in use or
> not plugged in. Make sure your camera is available and try again.
>

> Technical problems prevent you from having a webcam conversation at this
> time. Please try again later."
>
> This message shows up all the time. On the other hand if my contact requests
> that I send him video the following message shows up:
>
> "[11:35:52 PM] You have accepted the invitation to start sending
> webcam.
> [11:35:53 PM] Your conversation cannot begin because your camera is
> currently in use or not plugged in. Make sure your
> camera is available and try again.
> [11:35:53 PM] Technical problems prevent you from having a webcam
> conversation at this time. Please try again later."
>
> How can I fix this?
> Thanks.

Anonymous
November 25, 2004 6:26:56 PM

Hi Jonathan,
You were right. The contact I was talking about has Windows98, and it seemed
that was the reason.
I then tried it with another contact who has WinXP ProSP2 and I tried both
ways:
1) With "Start Video Conference" the video/audio communication was trouble
free
2) With the "Webcam" icon, communication was not established.
3) Even when the contact prompted me to invite him to see me it would not
work.
4) When I asked him to invite me to see him it worked (because he has a
Webcam)
Thanks for your help, I finally solved this issue after almost one year of
figuring it out!!
> Greetings Alegator,
>
> There are actually two different video functions within MSN Messenger 6.x.
> The first, the
> "Webcam" function, which is tested by the "Web Camera Settings" dialog,
> basically supports
> actual "Webcam"s only. It does not support DV/firewire cameras, digital
> cameras, or video
> card inputs. The second, the "Video Conference" function is tested by the
> Audio/Video Tuning
> Wizard, supports most devices including DV cameras and video card inputs
> and uses the same
> functionality as Windows Messenger.
>
> The Video Conference and Audio/Video Tuning Wizard will only be available
> on Windows XP (and
> both you and your contact must be using Windows XP in order for it to
> work). Assuming both
> of you are using Windows XP, try using the Video Conference feature
> instead, by clicking the
> Actions menu within a conversation window and choosing 'Start Video
> Conference'.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>

> "alegator" <alegator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have MSN Messenger v6.2.0.137 installed in a clean WinXP Pro SP2 freshly
>> installed PC. I have a Sony DCRTRV950 connected via firewire to the PC.
>> The
>> PC recognized it, no conflicts in device manager and it shows in MY
>> COMPUTER
>> (displays image).
>> I want to use it as webcam for MSN and I went thru the Audio/Video
>> Wizard,
>> everything fine.
>> While I'm chatting with a contact I click on the WEBCAM icon in the chat
>> window so that my contact can see me and the following message shows up:
>>
>> "
>> Your conversation cannot begin because your camera is currently in use or
>> not plugged in. Make sure your camera is available and try again.
>>

>> Technical problems prevent you from having a webcam conversation at this
>> time. Please try again later."
>>
>> This message shows up all the time. On the other hand if my contact
>> requests
>> that I send him video the following message shows up:
>>
>> "[11:35:52 PM] You have accepted the invitation to start sending
>> webcam.
>> [11:35:53 PM] Your conversation cannot begin because your camera is
>> currently in use or not plugged in. Make sure your
>> camera is available and try again.
>> [11:35:53 PM] Technical problems prevent you from having a webcam
>> conversation at this time. Please try again later."
>>
>> How can I fix this?
>> Thanks.

November 25, 2004 6:26:57 PM

Hi Alegator,

Better late then never ;)
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"alegator" <larry2002@argentina.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> window so that my contact can see me and the following message shows up:
>>>
>>> "
>>> Your conversation cannot begin because your camera is currently in use or
>>> not plugged in. Make sure your camera is available and try again.
>>>

>>> Technical problems prevent you from having a webcam conversation at this
>>> time. Please try again later."
>>>
>>> This message shows up all the time. On the other hand if my contact requests
>>> that I send him video the following message shows up:
>>>
>>> "[11:35:52 PM] You have accepted the invitation to start sending
>>> webcam.
>>> [11:35:53 PM] Your conversation cannot begin because your camera is
>>> currently in use or not plugged in. Make sure your
>>> camera is available and try again.
>>> [11:35:53 PM] Technical problems prevent you from having a webcam
>>> conversation at this time. Please try again later."

Anonymous
November 25, 2004 11:05:15 PM

:-)

!