mis3

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2001
Pardon my ignorance. I can understand the “RAID” requirement for a server , but why for a home PC? I do selective backup regularly to a CD and isn’t this enough?

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
it's all about speed

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Computers run on smoke, I let the smoke out of mine and it quit working </b> </font color=blue>

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Raid in a server is mainly used for data redundancy (ex : in case of a disk fail the server still up, hot-swap the disk with a new one and there you go). At home, like lagger said, you usualy want more speed but not expect as much up-time as in a server, so you go Raid 0, wich allow you to span your data on multiple disk increasing the write/read speed.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

yep actually...

most user don't know what raid is. The only thing they hear is that raid 0 increases performance and they jump on the bandwagon. raid 0 isn't even raid. It actually defeats the point of raid and is known as not even being raid. It's called stripeset. It is not raid. You do not have ANY data protection with raid 0. raid 0 is evil. if a drive ever dies all your data is gone. no matter how many hard drives you have. if one dies your data is gone.

stick with regular backups on cd. thats fine.

How do you do your backups on cd because thats what i do.

have any suggestions on how to use the most of the cd space? I find myself sepperating the data files into groups. some are 400mb, some are 300, or 500.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
if you're looking for optimizing space for backups, check out retrospect. i've never used it, but friends swear by it.

[insert philosophical statement here]

FatBurger

Illustrious
How many times have you had a hard drive fail on you? Several times, you've talked about it like it happens regularly.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

my maxtor died twice, and my ibm died once. My ibm drive now is acting funny.

so yes hard drives are fragile. you being the all knowing god; you would think you would have known that.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

TRENDING THREADS