Removal of Windows Messenger

Is it possible to remove or disable Windows Messenger
If not
Is it possible to prevent it loading with Outlook and OE

I would like to retain Msn Messenger which only loads on demand

Regards
TIA
9 answers Last reply
More about removal windows messenger

    Open add/remove programs,then select,windows components (L.sub-menu),
    then scroll to bottom of page,uncheck the box for messenger,then close
    out.

    "Jimbo @Eclipse.co.uk>" wrote:

    > Is it possible to remove or disable Windows Messenger
    > If not
    > Is it possible to prevent it loading with Outlook and OE
    >
    > I would like to retain Msn Messenger which only loads on demand
    >
    > Regards
    > TIA

    Greetings Jimbo,

    To disable Windows Messenger, open it up (click Start, then Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK),
    click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this Program when Windows starts' or
    'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on version) as well as 'Allow this
    program to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background'
    (depending on version). This won't remove Windows Messenger, so features like Remote
    Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing will continue to work, but it will let it stay
    out of your way.

    Then for Outlook:
    For Outlook 2003, click the Tools menu in Outlook, then choose Options, choose the Other tab,
    uncheck "Enable the Person Names Smart Tag" and click OK.

    For Outlook 2002/XP, open Outlook, click the Tools menu, then Options, then the Other tab,
    and uncheck 'Enable Instant Messaging in Microsoft Outlook'.

    For Outlook Express, close Outlook Express, then download and run this .reg file:
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Jimbo @Eclipse.co.uk>" <sa3214<No Spam> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to remove or disable Windows Messenger
    > If not
    > Is it possible to prevent it loading with Outlook and OE
    >
    > I would like to retain Msn Messenger which only loads on demand
    >
    > Regards
    > TIA

    Perfect ... Exactly what I required ... Thank you

    > Greetings Jimbo,
    >
    > To disable Windows Messenger, open it up (click Start, then Run, type
    > "msmsgs" and click OK), click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck
    > 'Run this Program when Windows starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger when
    > Windows starts' (depending on version) as well as 'Allow this program to
    > run in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger to run in the
    > background' (depending on version). This won't remove Windows Messenger,
    > so features like Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing
    > will continue to work, but it will let it stay out of your way.
    >
    > Then for Outlook:
    > For Outlook 2003, click the Tools menu in Outlook, then choose Options,
    > choose the Other tab,
    > uncheck "Enable the Person Names Smart Tag" and click OK.
    >
    > For Outlook 2002/XP, open Outlook, click the Tools menu, then Options,
    > then the Other tab,
    > and uncheck 'Enable Instant Messaging in Microsoft Outlook'.
    >
    > For Outlook Express, close Outlook Express, then download and run this
    > .reg file:
    > http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Jimbo @Eclipse.co.uk>" <sa3214<No Spam> wrote in message
    >> Is it possible to remove or disable Windows Messenger
    >> If not
    >> Is it possible to prevent it loading with Outlook and OE
    >>
    >> I would like to retain Msn Messenger which only loads on demand
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> TIA

    Hi,

    Glad to be of assistance =)

    > Perfect ... Exactly what I required ... Thank you
    >

    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
    >> Greetings Jimbo,
    >>
    >> To disable Windows Messenger, open it up (click Start, then Run, type "msmsgs" and click
    >> OK), click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this Program when Windows
    >> starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on version) as well as
    >> 'Allow this program to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger to run in the
    >> background' (depending on version). This won't remove Windows Messenger, so features like
    >> Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing will continue to work, but it will
    >> let it stay out of your way.
    >>
    >> Then for Outlook:
    >> For Outlook 2003, click the Tools menu in Outlook, then choose Options, choose the Other
    >> tab,
    >> uncheck "Enable the Person Names Smart Tag" and click OK.
    >>
    >> For Outlook 2002/XP, open Outlook, click the Tools menu, then Options, then the Other tab,
    >> and uncheck 'Enable Instant Messaging in Microsoft Outlook'.
    >>
    >> For Outlook Express, close Outlook Express, then download and run this .reg file:
    >> http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Associate Expert
    >>
    >> "Jimbo @Eclipse.co.uk>" <sa3214<No Spam> wrote in message
    >>> Is it possible to remove or disable Windows Messenger
    >>> If not
    >>> Is it possible to prevent it loading with Outlook and OE
    >>>
    >>> I would like to retain Msn Messenger which only loads on demand
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> TIA

    Although the messenger icon doesn't appear in the system tray now and it is
    not aparent when working in Outlook or Outlook Express I notice that it does
    appear in the task manager.... And even if I close it from there it reloads
    itself after about 2 minutes.

    Is there anything I can do to prevent this.

    Its not really a problem and if I have to put up with it then so be it

    Thanks again for your clear and consise help

    Regards

    Jim Burton

    > Hi,
    >
    > Glad to be of assistance =)
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Jimbo @Eclipse.co.uk>" <sa3214<No Spam> wrote in message
    >> Perfect ... Exactly what I required ... Thank you
    >>

    >> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
    >>> Greetings Jimbo,
    >>>
    >>> To disable Windows Messenger, open it up (click Start, then Run, type
    >>> "msmsgs" and click OK), click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and
    >>> uncheck 'Run this Program when Windows starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger
    >>> when Windows starts' (depending on version) as well as 'Allow this
    >>> program to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger to run in
    >>> the background' (depending on version). This won't remove Windows
    >>> Messenger, so features like Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and
    >>> Application Sharing will continue to work, but it will let it stay out
    >>> of your way.
    >>>
    >>> Then for Outlook:
    >>> For Outlook 2003, click the Tools menu in Outlook, then choose Options,
    >>> choose the Other tab,
    >>> uncheck "Enable the Person Names Smart Tag" and click OK.
    >>>
    >>> For Outlook 2002/XP, open Outlook, click the Tools menu, then Options,
    >>> then the Other tab,
    >>> and uncheck 'Enable Instant Messaging in Microsoft Outlook'.
    >>>
    >>> For Outlook Express, close Outlook Express, then download and run this
    >>> .reg file:
    >>> http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg
    >>> Jonathan Kay
    >>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
    >>> Associate Expert
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
    >>> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    >>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
    >>> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
    >>>
    >>> "Jimbo @Eclipse.co.uk>" <sa3214<No Spam> wrote in message

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    "Jimbo @Eclipse.co.uk>" wrote:

    > Although the messenger icon doesn't appear in the system tray now and it is
    > not aparent when working in Outlook or Outlook Express I notice that it does
    > appear in the task manager.... And even if I close it from there it reloads
    > itself after about 2 minutes.
    >
    > Is there anything I can do to prevent this.
    >
    > Its not really a problem and if I have to put up with it then so be it
    >
    > Thanks again for your clear and consise help
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Jim Burton
    >
    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Glad to be of assistance =)
    > > Jonathan Kay
    > > Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
    > > Associate Expert
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
    > > Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    > > All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
    > > You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
    > >
    > > "Jimbo @Eclipse.co.uk>" <sa3214<No Spam> wrote in message
    > >> Perfect ... Exactly what I required ... Thank you
    > >>

    > >> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    "Jimbo @Eclipse.co.uk>" wrote:

    > Although the messenger icon doesn't appear in the system tray now and it is
    > not aparent when working in Outlook or Outlook Express I notice that it does
    > appear in the task manager.... And even if I close it from there it reloads
    > itself after about 2 minutes.
    >
    > Is there anything I can do to prevent this.
    >
    > Its not really a problem and if I have to put up with it then so be it
    >
    > Thanks again for your clear and consise help
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Jim Burton

    Jim,
    I booted up in "Safe Mode" then went to Windows Explorer/My Computer/Local
    Disk (C)/Program Files. Then scroll to the "Messenger" program and highlight
    and delete. I use MSN Messenger (6.2) and the two would interfere with each
    other. This program used the program name "MSN Messenger" in Explorer.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Hi,

    Just removing the folder is not recommended.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Skippy" <Skippy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "Jimbo @Eclipse.co.uk>" wrote:
    >
    >> Although the messenger icon doesn't appear in the system tray now and it is
    >> not aparent when working in Outlook or Outlook Express I notice that it does
    >> appear in the task manager.... And even if I close it from there it reloads
    >> itself after about 2 minutes.
    >>
    >> Is there anything I can do to prevent this.
    >>
    >> Its not really a problem and if I have to put up with it then so be it
    >>
    >> Thanks again for your clear and consise help
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Jim Burton
    >
    > Jim,
    > I booted up in "Safe Mode" then went to Windows Explorer/My Computer/Local
    > Disk (C)/Program Files. Then scroll to the "Messenger" program and highlight
    > and delete. I use MSN Messenger (6.2) and the two would interfere with each
    > other. This program used the program name "MSN Messenger" in Explorer.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Hi Jim,

    If it's reloading, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton
    Antivirus added a new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger
    and cause it to also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the
    Norton Antivirus icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open
    Norton Antivirus'), click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger
    and click OK.

    > Although the messenger icon doesn't appear in the system tray now and it is not aparent
    > when working in Outlook or Outlook Express I notice that it does appear in the task
    > manager.... And even if I close it from there it reloads itself after about 2 minutes.
    >
    > Is there anything I can do to prevent this.
    >
    > Its not really a problem and if I have to put up with it then so be it
    >
    > Thanks again for your clear and consise help
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Jim Burton
    >
    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Glad to be of assistance =)
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Associate Expert
    >>
    >> "Jimbo @Eclipse.co.uk>" <sa3214<No Spam> wrote in message
    >>> Perfect ... Exactly what I required ... Thank you
    >>>

    >>> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message

Messenger Microsoft MSN Messenger Windows XP