Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Fingernail-Sized USB Drive Packs Whopping 32 GB

Last response: in News comments
January 5, 2010 9:16:04 PM

didn't they do this with cell phones. smaller, smaller , smaller.... so what. just easier to loose.
Score
January 5, 2010 9:34:22 PM

Well if they can fit 32gb into that space then imagine how much storage a full sized drive could have in about a year. We could be hitting the 1TB mark with flash drives before we know it.
Score
Related resources
January 5, 2010 9:41:39 PM

plug and stay. ain't going no where =)
Score
Anonymous
January 5, 2010 9:47:06 PM

Want a 1TB drive with 28MB/s read and 10MB/s write? Try copying over a disk image on that thing.
Score
January 5, 2010 10:25:37 PM

The SE is a bore. Nothing makes it better over it's competitors that can be both faster and with larger capacities. Plus there's alot of avaliable software to do automatic encrypted backups.

The only thing that makes the ZE special is it's size, which is increadible at 32GB. I'd love to see the technology under it's hood.
Score
January 5, 2010 10:30:31 PM

fatkid35didn't they do this with cell phones. smaller, smaller , smaller.... so what. just easier to loose.

In this case, it's totally different. Sure it's easier to use, but I've lost dozens of standard sized flash drives as well. And I've broken dozens in my laptop too, because of their size. (Imagine a usb drive sticking out the side while you're facebooking from bed, and you suddenly get up to use the bathroom when you realize that the body portion of your 64GB usb drive just landed at your feet.)

Drives like this prevent that problem completely, which is plenty welcome in my book. Specially since my BT connected phone does the same job wirelessly that thumb drives did for me 5 years ago.
Score
January 5, 2010 10:53:32 PM

This size will only be helpful when incorporated with something else. It's the technology that makes it smaller that's important.
Score
January 5, 2010 11:02:04 PM

sweet but no pics?
Score
January 5, 2010 11:02:37 PM

K see it now..
Score
January 5, 2010 11:13:44 PM

fatkid35didn't they do this with cell phones. smaller, smaller , smaller.... so what. just easier to loose.

If you're the type who loses things, then the size isn't the problem, you are the problem! This is great especially for car stereos which are USB compatible! This is much nicer than having a 2" thing sticking out.
Score
January 5, 2010 11:24:02 PM

At that size, it's not like you really have to take it out of your computer at all. I could leave it plugged into my laptop and it would fit into my computer's bag no problem. If you clip your finger nails too short, it might not even come out easily anyway.
Score
January 5, 2010 11:31:15 PM

Curnel_DThe SE is a bore. Nothing makes it better over it's competitors that can be both faster and with larger capacities. Plus there's alot of avaliable software to do automatic encrypted backups. The only thing that makes the ZE special is it's size, which is increadible at 32GB. I'd love to see the technology under it's hood.

Aka, TrueCrypt.
Score
January 5, 2010 11:32:18 PM

This is not only easyer to loose, it's much easier to break. Hence, why I use a Corsair Voyagger.
Score
January 5, 2010 11:48:26 PM

Yeah, plug and stay. You wont be able to get the damn thing out! Impressive non-the-less. Although, I wouldn't want to back up and serious data to it. One good static ZAP and that thing is history, never mind the slow ass transfer speeds. What is it even good for? Transferring files to and from your friends houses until it's a hunk of, I mean a piece of, I mean... a little... whatever it is.
Score
January 6, 2010 12:31:15 AM

... so? They've had this high of capacity in a much smaller package. *cough*MicroSD cards*cough*
Score
January 6, 2010 2:50:37 AM

yrmoma... so? They've had this high of capacity in a much smaller package. *cough*MicroSD cards*cough*

Not all PC's have MicroSD card readers (I have 3 in my house that don't, none that do). ALL PC's have USB ports and like someone mentioned earlier, many car stereos and other non-PC devices have USB these days.
Score
January 6, 2010 3:00:29 AM

Is it safe to assume that its controller is up to "speed", especially when handling vast amount of files? Basically, will its performance be nearly identical when, say doing a copy of 1GB X 1 vs 1MB X 1000?

It has been a long time since I bought a flash drive so I don't know the performance of today's flash drives. One I bought before was a very fast Apacer (forgot the model, but it's their then top model), another is a cheap one. Regardless of the number of files, the Apacer showed little performance decline, while the cheap one's performance (though matched the Apacer when copying large single files) nose-dived.
Score
January 6, 2010 11:45:45 AM

nice...but something this small is bound to get lost really easy.
Score
January 6, 2010 12:05:02 PM

This small is both too small to proporly keep safe, yet too big to be as convenient as an HDSD card.

I like SD cards over USB sticks as they are usefor for more than just PCs (cameras and most camcorders too) so they're a bit more universal, and I have a tiny sleeve in my wallet that can hold 4 of them such that I can not easily loose them.

I have 1 32GB SD cards already, and a few 16GB ones too. I can't imagine needing 64GB in any case where I would not want hundreds of GBs (I barely need the 16s more than half full ever, and a 32GB can hold a full resolution BlueRay movie rip and hours and hours of DVD quality video), so I really see no point to storage in a less ideal form factor.

Also, what's the flash performance class of this? I really doubt its faster than a class 6 SD card... (class 4 can handle 1080p at guaranteed minimum write speed, class 6 can handle it in 60FPS, read is much faster).
Score
January 6, 2010 12:11:39 PM

FSXFanNot all PC's have MicroSD card readers (I have 3 in my house that don't, none that do). ALL PC's have USB ports and like someone mentioned earlier, many car stereos and other non-PC devices have USB these days.

And a tiny USB-SD reader can be had for about $10, and everyone I know who has a PC has one handy, but just in case I keep one in my car along with my space iPhone charger.

Also, USB is nice and convenient, but if it's priced anywhere near SDHC, then having the ability to easily use it in not only most PCs and nearly all laptops (and all of them with a simple adapter), but also being able to stick in in any 3 of my cameras, my camcorder, or my wife's PDA is a huge plus for $5 more... (about $70 currently for 32GB SDHC, and i see USBs around $65 in the same capacity, I'd assume smaller means more expensive for this new one, so the price point shoudl in fact be a non-issue),
Score
January 6, 2010 12:44:04 PM

ahh the future,
but i wont be getting one of those...too slow...
maybe usb 4.0 with 2 terabytes when they come out :p 
aaand they have to look better.....
Score
January 6, 2010 12:59:25 PM

The ZE version is a very good idea, so that I can plug that into the back of my laptop for windows vista/7's Ready boost feature without unpluging it when i need to carry the laptop to work. all i need to worry is will the ZE support Ready boost?
Score
January 6, 2010 1:46:11 PM

I like the ZE. They need to change it's shell though (too big).
Rather use that over a SD card or whatever to give me extra storage.
Score
January 7, 2010 1:25:34 AM

what if my usb port eats it...
Score
!