Sign in with
Your question

A couple of questions..

Last response: in Motherboards
January 8, 2002 7:21:32 PM

Hi all and Aloha from Oahu

A couple of questions for you from a somewhat newbie.

I just ordered a new motherboard, cpu, heatsink and memory to upgrade, actually almost rebuild, my old computer.

I just received from Newegg:

Epox 8KHA+ mb
AMD xp 1500+ cpu
256 meg pc2100 ram
Volcano 6Cu+ heatsink

1st - When you put the thermal paste on the heatsink do you put it on the silver base, the copper center or both.

Also the jumper comes set at 100 mhz (default). How much of a noticable difference is there between that and setting it at 133 mhz.

My old computer is one I bought from Falcon Northwest about 2 years ago. Never has worked like it should, waste of money. I'll be using the new one for gaming and surfing.

Thanks

More about : couple questions

January 8, 2002 8:23:14 PM

Be carefull with the old power supply, 300 w is min and 350 is better.
Not sure wy your mobo would be defaulted at 100 mhz. 133 FSB is faster, perhaps between 10 - 20% overall.
You did`nt mention your vid card?
Know FA about paste except be carefull not to drop any on mobo, this has happened before.

Danny

Nostradamus: "In the year 2002 naked alien women will descend to earth"
January 8, 2002 9:05:44 PM

Hey H,
Change the jumper to 133mhz. Go to the articsilver website, to find the real way to apply thermal grease. The quick way is with a stiff piece of plastic(cut straight), coat both cpu metal center only and the contact area of the HSF. The grease should be very thinly coated on both parts, you are trying to get the thinest evenest coat possible.

To answer your question on 100 vs. 133mhz, yes, it is a big difference, more so if you OC your FSB. Also, if you do not have a 350+ watt high quality power supply(PSU), I suggest you get one before you build this system. If you are using your old Hard Drive(HDD), you need to reformat the drive and do a fresh install of your OS. Good Luck! I also have the same mobo and it has been flawless!

Peace Out...............tile

WHAT????? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE ROAR OF MY CASE FANS! YOU'LL HAVE TO SCREAM!
Related resources
January 8, 2002 9:07:19 PM

If you set the jumper for the FSB to 100mhz, your processor would be running at 1.0ghz instead of it's rated 1.33ghz!

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!
January 8, 2002 9:13:58 PM

This is called "underclocking" and is seldomly used except by the most excentric people who want to pamper their cpu so as to keep it going for 30 years or more. Just jiving you pal :-)

That Britney Spears link has something wrong with it, have tried it 100 times and always get the finger. Please fix.

Danny

Nostradamus: "In the year 2002 naked alien women will descend to earth"
January 8, 2002 10:35:20 PM

Hi again and thanks all.

The vid card is a Geforce2 mx 200. A friend just let me have an Antec case with 4 fans in it. It's an Sx830. Lots of room in it and a 300w power supply.

I'll check on a bigger power supply tomorrow.
January 9, 2002 5:34:21 AM

Quote:
That Britney Spears link has something wrong with it, have tried it 100 times and always get the finger. Please fix.

LoL! diddo...d**n we're sad.

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flyboy on 01/09/02 02:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
!