XP Compatability?

G

Hi, I have an older Epox slot 1 mobo with a PIII 500. I have been running XP with no problems until I tried a new graphics card, thus started my problems! I couldn't get a nvidia geforce2 mx200 to work with my setup, I emailed the graphics card manufacturer and they told me to install an agp vxd driver. I called the Epox customer support and they told me it is not recommended to run XP on this motherboard, to buy a new one and then the card should work. Any help, or opinions on the compatability of my motherboard with XP would be greatly appreciated.

G

hey Im having similar issues with XP and my Elsa Erazor geforce2 but Im running a somewhat newer board.. Abit KG-7 Lite with the VIA686B chipset... winxp worked fine before the new mb, I was running same setup with a abit bh6 and an overclocked celeron 300a, but Im having major issues with this new board and xp, and it wont take the new detonator drivers for some reason either... Im thinking its some kind of incompatibility with XP and my board.. as i get a lot of reboots and freezes in XP, and video doesnt play without chopping either. On another note, I dont have any problems in windows 98, except for the occasional freeze, which doesnt happen very often.

Abit KG7 Lite w/Athlon XP 1600+
256 megs 2100 pc ram (generic)
300 watt ps
Elsa Erazor Geforce2 GTS
Diamond MX300 sound card
Adaptec SCSI card
3com NIC

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Gee, the MX200 is about the worst video card you can get...what did you upgrade from?

Besides that, XP is a slow operating system. Do you have the 512MB of RAM it takes to make it run at full speed?

nVidia has problems with many driver revisions for WinXP. I think the 21.x versions were probably the most stable.

There's nothing wrong with your motherboard as far as I can tell. If it's a BX platform it shouldn't have a problem, unless your running less than 230Watts for a power supply.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Hi, thanks for your reply. I didn't even get as far as installing the drivers for the nVidia card. As soon as XP detected the GeForce 2 it crashed and the screen corrupted. BTW I am still using my trusty ATI rage 128 8Mb card. What graphics card do you suggest at a similar price to the Geforce 2 range?

Thanx.

TRENDING THREADS