Startup message (very worrying) invloves "HKEY" !?

When I log into my computer, I get a box that says:

An important entry has been ADDED to the registry!
HKEY=HKEY_CURRENT_USER
PATH=Software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Run
NAME=MSMSGS
DATA="C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background

Allow this registry entry?
(Yes to allow, No to delete Key)

You cant click the Exit button at the top right for some reason and can only
click YES or NO. If you click NO then the messege keeps and keeps on
reappearing and this is very annoying. Can anybody help me get rid of this
and can anyone explain to me what it is and what it means?

Thanks in advance,
1 answer Last reply
More about startup message very worrying invloves hkey

    Greetings,

    Windows Messenger will automatically set itself back into the registry. You can stop this
    behavior by disabling Windows Messenger from starting.

    To disable Windows Messenger, open it up (click Start, then Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK),
    click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this Program when Windows starts' or
    'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on version) as well as 'Allow this
    program to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background'
    (depending on version). This won't remove Windows Messenger, so features like Remote
    Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing will continue to work, but it will let it stay
    out of your way.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "lydz" <lydz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I log into my computer, I get a box that says:
    >
    > An important entry has been ADDED to the registry!
    > HKEY=HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    > PATH=Software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > NAME=MSMSGS
    > DATA="C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    >
    > Allow this registry entry?
    > (Yes to allow, No to delete Key)
    >
    > You cant click the Exit button at the top right for some reason and can only
    > click YES or NO. If you click NO then the messege keeps and keeps on
    > reappearing and this is very annoying. Can anybody help me get rid of this
    > and can anyone explain to me what it is and what it means?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

Messenger Microsoft Registry Windows XP