abit be6 w/ 133 FSB??

G

Hey All-

I am running an Abit BE6 w/ Voodoo5 graphics card, IBM UDMA/66 7200RPM HDD, PC100 ram (one IBM, one generic), and a linksys 10/100 NIC...

I have a Pentium III 866 Coppermine processor in my possesion, but so far, my attempts to install it have failed. I have tried a 133 FSB (1/4), a 6.5 multiplier, and a 2/3 AGP diff... voltage at 1.7.

When I restart the system, I get a notice about a non-workable cpu... etc.... etc... during the initial POST, but if I choose to continue, it boots up (graphics and all seem to work), but I get lots of system errors once it gets to the login point (Windoze)...
reboot and I lose all of the processor settings in SoftMenu and have to reset them all.

Anyone have good advice on how to get this working properly? Do I need to get PC133 ram in order for this to work?

Regards-
odh

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Okay, I could go on all day about the BE-6 supposudly defective SOMETHING? No stuff, I have been running my BE-6 for two and a half years or so without ever finding out what the mystry? defect is.
Anyway it has something to do with not being able to reach 133mhz Memory/FSB speed. I am running Corsair PC133 memory and all I can get is 124mhz, out of the memory controllers.
But this is ok, cause I can run it at CAS 2, and with my selected PIII 450 Katamai, it runs it at 558mhz. The affore mentioned PIII K was almost guarennteed by my research to reach 600mhz, but I have become used to it and it is really stable, as never a prob with it.
So try 124mhz, with the dividers on the safe side, as PCI=FSB/4, instead of 3, you know, like that. I think you will love using it.
Another consideration is the BIOS, which may be the source of all your problems, so you may have to upgrade the BIOS before being able to even run at 124mhz FSB. Try it at 124 first, and see what WPCUID says about the CPU. I know the original BIOS, like mine, is only recognizing PIII up to 600mhz, I am pretty sure (that means not totally).
BTW, your 100mhz IBM or generic may not work at this high of a speed. If it is rated at CAS 2 you might make it, but if it is CAS 3, kinda iffy. Try using the better grade mem alone at first, as this may help a lot.
Download the manual, and see if you have to populate the DIMM slots in one direction or the other first.
Try to get a friends PC133 to try out as I don't think you NEED this to get the processor working.
ALSO, have you tried to boot at 100 fsb? Just to see if the problem is something else?
Good Luck, Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)

G

Got it. You were exactly right. There were two problems:

1. Needed to down level to 124Mhz FSB. Guess either my
PC100 RAM couldn't take it, or I ran into the "defect".

2. Needed to step my ram up to CAS 2 (although, it might
work at 3, never tried).

Thanks, you saved me some cash on the cpu... I did order some Mushkin HP PC133 (Rev 3) so when that arrives, I'll pop it in and see if I can't eek some more performance out of it.

- odh

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, take_out's problems are not typical.
To get rid of the non-workable message, simply turn off CPU Speed Error Detection in BIOS, it's there to stop newbies from overclocking (novices know enough to turn it off).

Now, your problems are related to you running PC100 at 133MHz. No go, cannot usually be done. You'll need PC133, I suggest Crucial Cas2 from <A HREF="http://www.crucial.com" target="_new">http://www.crucial.com</A>

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks, that probably clears up why I couldn't get near the magic 600, as it was one of my first attempts at O/Cing. Course, now I yam an ole' pro. heh. The big deal in the statement was that I spent nearly a month tracking down the exact stepping and date of manufacture to no avail. I always thought it was the magic defect in the ABIT BE-6 that was responsible.
Good Luck, Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)

G

The BE6 was made to run the 66 and 100mhz cpu. Upgrading the bios will get you to an 850, 8.5x100. Was wondering that same thing with mine so I called them. When I asked why the 133 setting and was told that they had no idea. Some tech help eh? Play with it. Who knows what ou can get.

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am so happy that I could help, as I spent many hours playing around the 124/133 fun. If you are running at CAS2, it is faster than CAS3, so don't raise it. CAS is Column Address Strobe rating, CAS 2 is much better by about 5-10 percent, performancewise.
Generally , there is only CAS2 or CAS3 for Single Data Rate memory. DDR uses CAS2.5 and CAS2 usually.
If you can run at CAS2 124mhz, use that as it is faster than CAS 3 133mhz. You can run your new stick with the others usually, even at the reduced speed, and also at CAS2.
Good Luck, Take-Out
PS: If you can do with the 1 stick of PC133, try it at CAS 2 by itself and see if it will run, just for kicks, but if you get instalbility, back down to 124 and use them all.

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Crash, I know you do a lot of good here, and read a lot of posts, but telling me I'm giving bad advice is bad manners when I actually had good advice for most of the post since it got him going and could have saved him the cost of a new memory stick as per his latest post to me.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Re: abit be6 w/ 133 FSB?? [re: Take_Out]

Got it. You were exactly right. There were two problems:

1. Needed to down level to 124Mhz FSB. Guess either my
PC100 RAM couldn't take it, or I ran into the "defect".

2. Needed to step my ram up to CAS 2 (although, it might
work at 3, never tried).

Thanks, you saved me some cash on the cpu... I did order some Mushkin HP PC133 (Rev 3) so when that arrives, I'll pop it in and see if I can't eek some more performance out of it.

- odh
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks again tho for the good you have done me and others lately.
Good Luck, Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Take_Out on 01/13/02 03:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Didn't mean to insult. It's just that I've seen a lot of people run their PIII Coppermines at 133MHz FSB on this board without problems, including the 733, 800EB, 866, 933, and 1000EB. I think I remember someone running a 667 on it also.

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Didn't feel an insult, just a little dismissal. Nothing really.
About the BE6, did your buddies that ran at 733, 866, etc., use the original bios? The so-called defect may have been in the original bios. Thanks.
Take-Out, Good Luck.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, it could have been a BIOS issue. Or it could have been an issue with the clock generator on early board revisions. I would need a link to a tech article explaining the problem before I knew for sure.