Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
This problem is driving me nuts!

My computer worked fine until yesterday, now it just lockup.
I can use programs of various kinds without problems, but when it comes to games it´s another story.
When I play ColinMcRae & Civ3 there´s no problem but when I try to play¨Alien Vs Predator 2 and RTCW the computer just freeze.

I have installed the newest drivers for graphics, motherboard, DX etc to no avail.

I have a Epox EP-8KHA+ mobo and a geforce2Mx card, might it be that it is a compability problem between these two?

At first I suspected faulty/buggy sound-drivers, therefore I ran the games without any, didn´t work anyway.

Usually RTCW freaks out allready in the main menu, if I´m lucky I can play it for a couple of seconds before it stoppes. (when it stoppes, there is HD activity for some time, then it ends.)
If I´m not wrong, RTCW is a openGL game is it not?, could it be that my graphic card has problem with OpenGl drivers?
D3D games seem to work properly.

I´ve heard that the VIA chipset has some problems with assigning IRQ´s, something to do with this maybe?

The thing I find odd is that I could play these games without problems just a day ago and now I can´t.

Other specs:
Win98
IBM GXP60
Enermax 350 PSU
AMD XP 1600
256 RAM (Nimya?(Aaaagh, I never learn that name!))

If you have any ideas it would be welcome!
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jake75 on 01/09/02 05:06 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
You can restore previously saved registery files with win98, but myself haven't ever done so that I can remember.
I have a book that has info on this, if you really want to try it!

Danny

Nostradamus: "In the year 2002 naked alien women will descend to earth"

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Well, I´m not sure if it has something to do with the registry.
I´ve been browsing the net for info and it seems like I´m not the only one with this problem.

I have got a few tips of what to do...
*Disable ACPI in BIOS.
*Install IRQ routing drivers.
*Reinstall VIA graphic card drivers in "normal" mode.
*Change the AGP aperture size.

I´m not sure if any of this will solve my problems, when I´ve tried it I´ll post my results.

This really sucks ya know!, If I buy something that costs hundreds of dollars then I expect the damn things to work properly, If it was a telly or anything else and it didn´t work then people would yell like hell! it´s not likely that you will keep a color tv that only displays black&white, is it?
people seem to accept that things are messy in the computer world, when they should not.

10 FOR A=1 TO 10000 : PRINT "Boredom..." : NEXT A

Aposter

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2001
Have you messed with any of the hardware on your computer recently? (Last few weeks or so?) How long have you had this setup?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Aposter on 01/09/02 09:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Yep.
They don't have, what is it: 3 or 4 backup computers in the shuddle craft for nothing.
I would dare say comps are quite humanlike, not perfect. :-(

Danny

Nostradamus: "In the year 2002 naked alien women will descend to earth"

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Nada messing.
I´ve only had this setup for about a week now.
Things started out messy but I solved the problem and everythng was working fine until yesterday.

I know that the graphic card is working correctly, I used it in my old computer without problems.

Nothing is overclocked and the system is virus free.
As I said in an earlier post it all seems to work fine in d3d applications, but not in OpenGl for some reason.
I know it´s not a heat issue, highest CPU temp I´ve got is 42c(with Toast) and the system is around 24c...
All cables and cards are seated & I´ve done BIOS reset, nothing seems to help.

AAAAH! I want to smash something!

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
I´m not demanding a perfect computer, just a one that is working properly and as intended.
A few bugs and reboots doesn´t matter, I´m used to it, thank MS for that.

Aposter

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2001
Hmm...could have sworn I posted a reply already, but I'm not seeing it...

...anyway what I posted was that the last time I saw anything like what you are experiancing was when a friend of mine bought some bad RAM for his system. Computer worked fine when he installed it for like a couple of weeks, then one day his computer started freezing up on him after a few minutes of running applications. He could boot up in safe mode just fine, but as soon as he booted up regularly and tried to do anything more RAM intensive his computer would freeze and the hard drive light would stay on. Don't know if this is what's happening with your system..but just fyi....

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
I tried to disable ACPI, not good...Windows froze.

I did a CMOS reset again and didn´t alter any variables in BIOS.
The processor started up with it´s default values, 100 FSB and 1050 Mhz, AGPx2.
Got into Windows and started up RTCW...no problems, played it for about half an our withoutlockups or anything.
Oh, how very nice that it works, but not at it´s peak performance.

So, I re-installed all drivers again plus AGP410 (which is not included in the 4 in 1 drivers (yet)).
Aaaaah, satisfaction.
I have not experienced any problems after this install, RTCW seems to work normal as well as other games and programs.

Btw, my CPU fan stopped working while playing RTCW, I don´t know for how long it was down before I took a peek at it and realized that it had stopped.
Funny thing was that the CPU temp never got any higher than 60c, I left the computer on for a few seconds before I turned it off, just to see if the temp would get any higher, It didn´t.

Well, I´m just glad everything seems to be working properly...now I´ll just have to wait for a
couple of days and see if some new problems occur, hopefully they wont.

Thanks for the ideas anyway.

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Oh, I forgot.
I still have problems when rebooting.
Sometimes it never reboots when I tell it to do so, The monitor just switches off, but nothing else happens...

Any ideas?

TRENDING THREADS