Nero

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2003

A question regarding Windows messenger 7.2 in XP.
Do I need the exact same version of messenger as the person I want to
see/talk to.
We both have windows XP and both have headsets and web cams.
My freind has windows messenger and msn messenger and uses msn one.
I have only windows messenger and when I tried using the camera or voice it
just crashes my messenger.
If I talk to another freind (voice only)who has the same version of windows
messenger then no problems.
Is it because the other person uses MSN messenger and I use windows
messenger that we cannot see/talk to each other?
Hope you can help,
thnx

Greetings,

Just for clarification, the latest version of Windows Messenger are 4.7, 5.0 and 5.1 -- there
is no 7.2.

As long as you're the one initiating or your friend on MSN Messenger is selecting the "Video
Conference" option (as opposed to "Webcam"), it should be fine.

However, at no time should Messenger just "crash" due to an incompatibility like that. What
camera are you using?
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Nero" <nero@rome.it> wrote in message
>A question regarding Windows messenger 7.2 in XP.
> Do I need the exact same version of messenger as the person I want to
> see/talk to.
> We both have windows XP and both have headsets and web cams.
> My freind has windows messenger and msn messenger and uses msn one.
> I have only windows messenger and when I tried using the camera or voice it
> just crashes my messenger.
> If I talk to another freind (voice only)who has the same version of windows
> messenger then no problems.
> Is it because the other person uses MSN messenger and I use windows
> messenger that we cannot see/talk to each other?
> Hope you can help,
> thnx

Nero

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2003

Philips TUcam Pro.
Regardless of what camera used it does the same.
Even with just voice the same happens.
If I talk to another person who has windows XP and SP2 installed (as I
do),and who uses windows messenger(same version as I do)then it does not
crash.
But as soon as either my other friend who uses MSN messenger tries to call
me and start voice or video conference or I try to call them then windows
messenger crashes.
I would rather just use windows messenger and not have to install MSN
messenger.