January 6, 2010 2:25:59 PM

good god That is dirty..
Score
January 6, 2010 2:27:19 PM

I think I'm going to be sick. Those poor machines =(
Score
Related resources
January 6, 2010 2:28:03 PM

I would break down and cry right now...if I hadn't already seen this numerous times before IRL. I'm SO VERY GLAD I have the full array of filters on my Antec P193!
Score
January 6, 2010 2:29:40 PM

Man, the pic above is an Antec NSK 4480. That's not even a very old case. How'd it get that dirty in such a short time?

I've been repairing PCs for many years now and I've seen my share of really gross computers. It seams that the nastiest ones are always from either smokers or people with pets. A smoker with a bunch of cats is a nightmare!!!
Score
January 6, 2010 2:30:27 PM

I used to work at a compaq reseller and we would actually get computers in that had dead bugs and other unmentionables in the power supplies and case fans. Disassembling used computers (especially servers) is a truly disgusting enterprise
Score
Anonymous
January 6, 2010 2:30:56 PM

Makes me hungry.
Score
January 6, 2010 2:36:31 PM

I know someone with six cats and two dogs. I just laughed at their response: "what do you mean when is the last time I cleaned out the computer". That was a fun day. At least they had an air compresser to use so I didn't have to use 10 cans of air.
Score
January 6, 2010 2:38:12 PM

That picture made me cringe. But I've worked on some computers that were worse. Once I found a nest of cockroaches inside.
Score
January 6, 2010 2:43:55 PM

I've personally worked on a machine that was much worse. It was a computer at a gym and the amount of dust that was in there was insane. I was actually able to remove it in chunks. It resemble insulation because it was so tightly packed.

The sickest part is that when you realize that 80% of dust is human skin, the machine actually had enough for a hand or foots worth.
Score
January 6, 2010 2:52:26 PM

That's nothing, I work as an IT engineer onboard an oiling rig and believe me, I've seen waaay dirtier machines, of course we try to give them regular maintenance, but these machines are used in almost open environment, and there is A LOT of metal, grease an oil in our deck... so you can just imagine the things I've seen. I promise to take some pictures the next time hehehe.
Score
January 6, 2010 2:54:17 PM

The two dead mice were not much of a surprise and to any one who still has a job at a repair shop knows that just about every thing comes in.
Score
January 6, 2010 2:54:48 PM

I'm constantly cleaning my PC's as I live in a house that is 150 years old and seems to call dust up out of some nightmare space no matter how much cleaning I do.
Score
January 6, 2010 3:06:22 PM

My roomate is a smoker, He smokes in front of his computer, usually when playing games. He had a dell bought in 1999. I had enough spare parts to just about build him a new computer, I got him to throw in the cost of the remainder of the parts and built him a new system. When I got it built, immediately prior to giving it to him... I opened up his old case to show him what smoking did to his computer, it looked something like some of the cases, the white plastic permanently stained, the particles of dust bonded in a thick layer on top of many components...it was amazing that it still worked...It didn't look like any air could pass through that case with the vents completely blocked. He still smokes in front of his new PC...And he saw his own case.
Score
January 6, 2010 3:07:30 PM

PCs around which people have smoked tend to get filthy very quickly. My wife and I do not allow smoking in our house, although more for our sake and that of our cats than because of the computers. I try to clean my PCs out about every six months or so. Thankfully our cats don't seem to shed very much, but the PCs do get dust and lint in them.
Score
January 6, 2010 3:37:26 PM

Yeah, the worst dirt is when people smoke. It gets thick, and sticks to the components. Even a compressed air can cannot blow it away.

And it stinks SO BAD!!!!
Score
Anonymous
January 6, 2010 3:38:23 PM

This is what smoking does to a computer, folks. That brown stuff is gummy, thick, and sticky, and smells terrible. The bearings in the fans will be bad. All the fans will have to be replaced...
Score
Anonymous
January 6, 2010 3:42:20 PM

jtt283PCs around which people have smoked tend to get filthy very quickly. My wife and I do not allow smoking in our house, although more for our sake and that of our cats than because of the computers. I try to clean my PCs out about every six months or so. Thankfully our cats don't seem to shed very much, but the PCs do get dust and lint in them.

Bird dander, especially from Cockatoos, is an issue. It isn't unpleasant stuff - just a white powder - but it gets everywhere. By the way, if you EVER think about getting a bird, do your homework. That white powder is just the beginning. They are very difficult, expensive pets, and require the patience of a saint.
Score
January 6, 2010 3:50:40 PM

And I thought i was bad (compared to my OCD friends i am) and i clean mine once every few months.
Score
January 6, 2010 4:01:09 PM

Looks fake. SATA HDD and PCI graphic card?
Score
January 6, 2010 4:04:30 PM

do i see a motherboard? o.O
Score
January 6, 2010 4:06:52 PM

At our work we call them Degobah Systems because of the uncanny resemblance to whatever Yoda pulls out of the swamp. I've got loads of pictures, even one with a dead rodent inside!
Score
January 6, 2010 4:24:04 PM

EEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!
Score
January 6, 2010 4:29:45 PM

Worked on a pair of computers once that looked like this. They weren't quite as bad as that pic but still pretty epicly nasty. They were in a power yard equipment sales and service shop. I had to take them out back and spray them out with the air compressor. They were the worst I'd ever seen.
Score
January 6, 2010 4:38:21 PM

better inside the chassis than inside your lungs i suppose
Score
January 6, 2010 4:43:26 PM

Eh, was on the tomshardware fourms already. A while back.

I saw one computer that had one of the optical bays empty, and all the PCI slots were open. It even had leaves in it.
Score
January 6, 2010 4:48:49 PM

I've seen dead mice, scorpions, spiders, bugs, a dead baby cat (long story), and worst of all, the tip of a small china mans finger (new case), including the first knuckle. That is not a joke, it really happened, all shriveled up and mummified, I shudder just remembering it.
Score
January 6, 2010 4:53:06 PM

pei-chenLooks fake. SATA HDD and PCI graphic card?

If you can determine that the PCI device plugged into the motherboard is a graphics card, you are one hell of a tech.
Score
January 6, 2010 5:13:51 PM

pei-chenLooks fake. SATA HDD and PCI graphic card?

That is an Asus P5L-MX board, which has built in video, so that PCI card might be modem, since that is the only thing that seems to be missing.
Score
January 6, 2010 5:25:04 PM

michaelahessI've seen dead mice, scorpions, spiders, bugs, a dead baby cat (long story), and worst of all, the tip of a small china mans finger (new case), including the first knuckle. That is not a joke, it really happened, all shriveled up and mummified, I shudder just remembering it.

pic or it never happened
Score
January 6, 2010 5:29:30 PM

Looks like someone splattered poo all over it. Tasty.
Score
January 6, 2010 5:32:35 PM

Wow....
Score
January 6, 2010 5:39:44 PM

sorry but i have seen worse!!
Score
Anonymous
January 6, 2010 6:01:15 PM

And people suck that same crap into their lungs!?!?!?!
Score
January 6, 2010 6:48:30 PM

out here in West Texas we get dust storms in the winter/spring and cotton dust is everywhere in the winter! I have to clean my computers seasonally and even with filters on, they get pretty dirty.
Score
Anonymous
January 6, 2010 6:48:56 PM

Looking at the picture shown, it looks like a combination of grease from a kitchen such as a deep fryer or a kitchen grill, a dusty environment and possibly a smoker.

The cooking grease mixed with the dust makes it real nasty to clean.

Thankfully I only have to worry about clean, powdery dust in my home, but during the winter months, I have to hit it almost every month with my air compressor to clean it out.
Score
January 6, 2010 6:57:20 PM

i see this sort of shit every day. The PC probably belongs to someone who chain-smokes at the computer, has animals, and/or lives filthy.

Personally, I clean my PC on a weekly basis by removing the panel and blowing it out with air duster. Once i month i remove the drives, drive cages, and expansion cards and clean out the slots and everything really good.
Score
January 6, 2010 7:00:08 PM

Good God, that poor thing. Looks like it was in a bar before the smoking law took effect.
Score
January 6, 2010 7:03:30 PM

The 2nd to last one with all the potato chip bags and random things in it reminds me of my school computers. The top of the case just easily flips open to put ur shit in.
Score
January 6, 2010 7:10:57 PM

Yeah, these computers where disgusting when I saw them In the Forums last week....

Still are, BTW
Score
January 6, 2010 7:11:59 PM

Last Month, sorry.
Are we ever going to get an edit button for comments?
Score
January 6, 2010 7:48:19 PM

If smoke makes the computer look like that, imagine what your lungs look like...
Score
January 6, 2010 8:58:43 PM

I think I just died a little inside.
Score
January 6, 2010 9:27:34 PM

Those arent really that bad.
I used to contract out for a dry cleaner..

they would within a year get a 3/4" compacted felt of dust on the bottom..

and I would regularly replace all the fans every 6mo-1year including power supplies and heat sinks.

first thing I did was standardize all the heat sinks then buy a 100pack of replacement fans that fit.

and a couple 100 80mm case fan orders off newegg.
Score
January 6, 2010 9:28:38 PM

I forgot to mention they had 19 locations...

most were pickup stores.. the actually dry cleaner plants were the worst..
sometimes you would find dead mice and BIG roaches in there too.
Score
January 6, 2010 9:31:39 PM

Yuck, I actually smoke in front of my computer and have cats and birds (for the sake of my animals I smoke in a pretty OCD filtration set up in my room away from them). My case is a Silverstone Raven 2 though and I clean it once a month. Gotta love those filters, the case itself stays pristine but I blast it out with air anyway.
Score
January 6, 2010 10:09:07 PM

No more.......please.......

Men, if your wife uses carpet sprinkles I bet your computer looks something like these.
Score
!