msn messenger unable to have voice conversations

Tags:
  • Messenger
  • Microsoft
  • MSN Messenger
  • Windows XP
November 29, 2004 11:49:05 AM

Evertime my brother and I try to have a voice talk in msn messenger 6.2.his
attempt fails and also when I invite him to a voice conv..We are able to send
pictures ,change backgrounds and type messages,but all attempts at voice
fail.We both have xp service pak 2 and a broadband connection.Please any
answrs might help us.Thanks
--
Raymond Perry

More about : msn messenger unable voice conversations

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 4:12:36 PM

Greetings Ray,

Are you or your contact using any type of router or internet sharing software/device? If so,
the router must support Universal Plug and Play (UPnP). A number of routers now support
UPnP, but it may require a firmware update from the router manufacturer (see their website)
or you'll simply need to toggle it on in the router configuration. You can also see if
you're in this situation by clicking the Tools menu in Messenger, then Options, then
Connection tab and looking at the bottom of the dialog.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Ray Perry" <rayperry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Evertime my brother and I try to have a voice talk in msn messenger 6.2.his
> attempt fails and also when I invite him to a voice conv..We are able to send
> pictures ,change backgrounds and type messages,but all attempts at voice
> fail.We both have xp service pak 2 and a broadband connection.Please any
> answrs might help us.Thanks
> --
> Raymond Perry
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 7:53:02 PM

Thanks for your advice.My brother did all the suggestions but with no luck.we
still can't have a voice conv. can type,send pics,etc. I wish a solution
would come along.My brother is in Florida ,I'm in NJ we need to speak with
each other.We did not have this problem before sp2 was installed .Thanks
anyway, Ray

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings Ray,
>
> Are you or your contact using any type of router or internet sharing software/device? If so,
> the router must support Universal Plug and Play (UPnP). A number of routers now support
> UPnP, but it may require a firmware update from the router manufacturer (see their website)
> or you'll simply need to toggle it on in the router configuration. You can also see if
> you're in this situation by clicking the Tools menu in Messenger, then Options, then
> Connection tab and looking at the bottom of the dialog.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Ray Perry" <rayperry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Evertime my brother and I try to have a voice talk in msn messenger 6.2.his
> > attempt fails and also when I invite him to a voice conv..We are able to send
> > pictures ,change backgrounds and type messages,but all attempts at voice
> > fail.We both have xp service pak 2 and a broadband connection.Please any
> > answrs might help us.Thanks
> > --
> > Raymond Perry

March 6, 2005 8:07:01 PM

MSN Messenger 6.2 audio/video requirements:

1. The modem/router must be UPnP compatible.

2. On the Network Connections, the Properties tab should show a check mark
only on Client for Microsoft Network, and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). No
check on File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, nor on QoS Packet
Scheduler.

3. The Windows Firewall should be ON (recommended) and no check in Don’t
allow exceptions . The Exceptions tab will later show the MSN Messenger 6.2
and UPnP Framework as being active.

4. In the Control Panel > Add Remove Programs > Add Remove Windows
Components, scroll to Networking Services and remove all checks, except for
Internet Gateway Device Discovery, and for UPnP User Interface. Click Ok,
Next and the Windows Wizard Component will run. Click Finish.

5. Sign in on Messenger and run Audio/Video Tuning Wizard. In the Tools >
Options > Connection tab, you should read “You are connected to the
Internet through a UPnP symmetric NAT. (Administrator). If you now check the
Windows Firewall Exceptions list, the MSN Messenger 6.2 and UPnP Framework
have a check mark.

6. Both sides should have similar setups with working webcam and microphone.

Hope this will help.

"Ray Perry" wrote:

> Evertime my brother and I try to have a voice talk in msn messenger 6.2.his
> attempt fails and also when I invite him to a voice conv..We are able to send
> pictures ,change backgrounds and type messages,but all attempts at voice
> fail.We both have xp service pak 2 and a broadband connection.Please any
> answrs might help us.Thanks
> --
> Raymond Perry
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 5:14:35 PM

Thank you, Efrain, for the detailed explicit steps.
I will do them when MSN Messenger comes alive
again. But for now, please see my interspersed
comments below:

Efrain wrote:
> MSN Messenger 6.2 audio/video requirements:
>
> 1. The modem/router must be UPnP compatible.
Well, that's beyond me to be able to check, without
more instructions.

> 2. On the Network Connections, the Properties tab should show a check mark
> only on Client for Microsoft Network, and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

I went Start>>Control Panel>>Network Connections and couldn't
find a Properties tab. What am I doing wrong?
> No check on File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, nor on
> QoS Packet Scheduler.
>
> 3. The Windows Firewall should be ON (recommended) and no check in Don’t
> allow exceptions . The Exceptions tab will later show the MSN Messenger 6.2
> and UPnP Framework as being active.
>
> 4. In the Control Panel > Add Remove Programs > Add Remove Windows
> Components, scroll to Networking Services and remove all checks, except for
> Internet Gateway Device Discovery,

I went there and couldn't find Internet Gateway Device anyplace.

--
William B. Lurie
Anonymous

Continuing on, Efrain, MSN Messenger came back on, and I
was able to proceed with your steps.

In Step 5, the message there says "You are directly
connected to .NET Messenger Service". It does not say
through a UPnP symmetric NAT. And somewhere else it says
I am connected to Internet through a non-UPnP firewall.

Some of this conflict may be vestigial, left over
from when we used NetMeeting.

Can you guide us back to thwe straight-and-narrow
MSN Messenger?

Thank you.

--
William B. Lurie
Anonymous

MSN Messenger 6.2 audio/video requirements:

1. The modem/router must be UPnP compatible. Set Zone Alarm to medium or
shutdown, but if you are proficient with the settings, allow MSN Messenger
6.2 access to the Internet.

2. On the Network Connections, right click Local Area Connection, go to
Properties, and the General tab should show a check mark only on Client for
Microsoft Network, and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). No check on File and
Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, nor on QoS Packet Scheduler.

3. The Windows Firewall should be ON (recommended) and no check in Don't
allow exceptions . The Exceptions tab will later show the MSN Messenger 6.2
and UPnP Framework as being active.

4. In the Control Panel > Add Remove Programs > Add Remove Windows
Components, scroll to Networking Services and remove all checks, except for
Internet Gateway Device Discovery, and for UPnP User Interface. Click Ok,
Next and the Windows Wizard Component will run. Click Finish; now the UPnP
will automatically open all required ports.

5. Sign in on Messenger and run Audio/Video Tuning Wizard. In the Tools >
Options > Connection tab, you should read You are connected to the Internet
through a UPnP symmetric NAT. (Administrator). If you now check the Windows
Firewall Exceptions list, the MSN Messenger 6.2 and UPnP Framework have a
check mark and the required ports are open.

6. Both Windows XP users sides should have similar setups with working
webcam and microphone.

Hope this will help, it has with many people.
I made item 1 more specific. Your modem/router MUST BE UPnP COMPATIBLE and
have this feature enabled for the above instructions to work; if not UPnP,
ask the manufacturer how to open the required MSN Messenger 6.2 audio/video
ports.

"billurie@nospam.org" wrote:

> Continuing on, Efrain, MSN Messenger came back on, and I
> was able to proceed with your steps.
>
> In Step 5, the message there says "You are directly
> connected to .NET Messenger Service". It does not say
> through a UPnP symmetric NAT. And somewhere else it says
> I am connected to Internet through a non-UPnP firewall.
>
> Some of this conflict may be vestigial, left over
> from when we used NetMeeting.
>
> Can you guide us back to thwe straight-and-narrow
> MSN Messenger?
>
> Thank you.
>
> billurie@nospam.org wrote:
> > Thank you, Efrain, for the detailed explicit steps.
> > I will do them when MSN Messenger comes alive
> > again. But for now, please see my interspersed
> > comments below:
> >
> > Efrain wrote:
> >
> >> MSN Messenger 6.2 audio/video requirements:
> >>
> >> 1. The modem/router must be UPnP compatible.
> >
> > Well, that's beyond me to be able to check, without
> > more instructions.
> >

> >> 2. On the Network Connections, the Properties tab should show a check
> >> mark only on Client for Microsoft Network, and Internet Protocol
> >> (TCP/IP).
> >

> > I went Start>>Control Panel>>Network Connections and couldn't
> > find a Properties tab. What am I doing wrong?
> >
> >> No check on File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, nor on
> >> QoS Packet Scheduler.
> >>
> >> 3. The Windows Firewall should be ON (recommended) and no check in
> >> Don’t allow exceptions . The Exceptions tab will later show the MSN
> >> Messenger 6.2 and UPnP Framework as being active.
> >>
> >> 4. In the Control Panel > Add Remove Programs > Add Remove Windows
> >> Components, scroll to Networking Services and remove all checks,
> >> except for Internet Gateway Device Discovery,
> >

> > I went there and couldn't find Internet Gateway Device anyplace.
> >
> > and for UPnP User Interface. Click Ok,
> >
> >> Next and the Windows Wizard Component will run. Click Finish.
> >>
> >> 5. Sign in on Messenger and run Audio/Video Tuning Wizard. In the
> >> Tools > Options > Connection tab, you should read “You are
> >> connected to the Internet through a UPnP symmetric NAT.
> >> (Administrator). If you now check the Windows Firewall Exceptions
> >> list, the MSN Messenger 6.2 and UPnP Framework have a check mark.
> >>
> >> 6. Both sides should have similar setups with working webcam and
> >> microphone.
> >>
> >> Hope this will help.

> --
> William B. Lurie

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 5:37:02 AM

You say your connection is not UPnP; check the modem/router to see if it's
UPnP compatible and you have not activated this feature.

!