Server Mobo Choices: Help, Please

G

I want to build a Windows 2000 Advanced Server machine for learning the Microsoft .Net technologies, and I would love some advice about appropriate hardware choices. My primary concern is stability and compatibility. My next concern is stability and compatibility. ;-) I would like to build a _rock solid system_ that has decent performance. I am not an overclocker. Currently, my criteria (all open for comment) for the Mobo and CPU include:

1 GHz+ processor (Should I go AMD XP or Pentium 4? Is either more Win2K stable?)

Capacity for 1.5 GB DDR RAM (at least 3 slots DDR so I can use the relatively cheaper 512mb PC2100)

Mobo:
With so many Mobo choices out there, I am not sure of what to choose. Many of the reviews seem oriented toward gamers/overclockers. Given an AMD XP or P4 CPU, which are the best DDR Mobos for a _stable_ Windows 2000 server? I plan on mirroring two 60 or 80 GB Hard drives, so ATA100 Raid would be nice.

Sound (Are the built-in chipsets/drivers Win2K _stable_? SB Live! has problems with Win2K - SB16 PCI seems best? I only need very basic, but highly compatible sound, so the Mobo either needs to have no sound, or sound that is either compatible with Win2K or easily disabled.)

Basically, I want a system that I can build, load Win2000 Advanced Server, some Dev Tools, and then never think about the hardware ever again. I am a software person, so I want a machine that will allow me to focus on the tools I want to learn and not on troubleshooting HW problems. My total system budget is about $2000. I priced out parts for a complete system with an AMD CPU and a Soyo K7V-Dragon Mobo and it came to about $1500. However, I have no clue about how stable this would be with Win2K. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
--BJ

G

I noticed Caveman's post about Win XP (which has the Win2K Kernal) problems on an Epox Mobo. This is exactly the kind of issues I hope to avoid. Again, any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, considering you mention stability/compatibility is imperitve, I don't know if I'd be looking at any VIA solutions if I were you. Too bad I sold my P6DGE last week, it would've made a fantastic server board for you. Like you said, I never thought about it while I owned it either. It ran like it was supposed to right outa the box.

If you want ultimate stability, an Intel cpu + BX/GX/815x/845D/850 would do you fine. Although you will find faster (& cheaper) AMD/VIA solutions, I don't know too many people (ok, I know of no one) that uses them in server scenarios where ultimate stability/compatibility is critical.

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.