Old Socket 5 MomBo running P1 200 MMX, this possible?

G

hi,

I've got a an OLD dual P1 Socket 5 MomBo, and I'm trying to get it running 2 P200 MMX Processors with 2 stiks of 16X36 72 pin ram (64 MB on each stick making a total of 128 MB)

1) is this possible?
2) if so how do I configure the board to accept this?
3) where do I get a BIOS update (if possible (it's an Amercian Megatrends BIOS)?
4) how do I figure out the chip set so I CAN get the updates? (if possible)

thnax,

~ Pat D

Two brain cells, neuron and neuroff

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Yes, this can work. If you have 3X multiplier for cpu internal speed: 3 X 66 = 200. In most likelyhood you do not have this mult up to 3X. So if i am not mistaken you may have a "locked" cpu that runs at 3X internally no matter the mobo setting. Your best bet is to try the cpu. Put internal V to the lowest you can set with mobo jumpers. If not below 2.9V forget it.The cpu will overheat. Actually you do not have internal-external, but only one voltage (single voltage mobo). So find these V jumpers and you must be able to set them for 2.8V or less.
Last piece of advice, put a propper heat sink & fan on this.
The bios upgrade may very well be unneeded her. If all is well the post may not show p-200 but you will see for yourself if the sys is faster.
Remember : Good heatsink & fan

Nostradamus: "In the year 2002 naked alien women will descend to earth"

G

great!

now I don't have a jumper map (it's not indicated on the mobo either!) how would I find the maker of board to get a jumper map? and what about the clock mult?

~ Pat D

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Ouch!
There should be a FI or FID or something like that number.
Go to "motherboard.org" or try "windrivers.com" and surf to the sections for identifying mobos by this number. If nothing at all is written on mobo for the jumpers, it's deafenatly more complicated but never unsurmoundtable.
Good luck

Nostradamus: "In the year 2002 naked alien women will descend to earth"

G

Windrivers is a Pay service..and for this lookup not forking out $$$ and motherboard.org is useless...

ok..now where do I find that FID? what does it look like?

~ Pat D

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, now that you've heard the BS, here's the truth.

Many P200MMX processors can be overclocked to 233. If your processor is not locked, you're in luck.

MMX processors are made to run at 2.8v core, but WILL run on a Socket 5 (single voltage 3.3v) motherboard with proper cooling, I sell systems like this and warrantee them, and haven't had any complaints.

If you have a 3.0x multiplier, you can run it at 200MHz.

If you don't have a 3.0x multiplier, you can get a 3.5x multiplier by using the 1.5x setting, as long as your processor isn't locked. The Pentium MMX converts the 1.5x to 3.5x automatically.

I have upgraded many Gateways this way, the BR0T and BS0T varieties. The BR0T will show the correct speed only if you reflash with Intel BIOS. Otherwise, a 233 or unlucked 200 will run at 233 regardless of what number shows in BIOS.

Adequate cooling for these processors can be had with almost any heatsink that has a 50mm or larger fan.

No Socket 5 motherboard has dual voltage, use the good cooler with standard voltage.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

ok...that sounds great..was wondering why the clock mult was not even being touched...

the only problem is that I need to find the jumpers to do all this, becase my board has no jumper map so I dunno what jumpers do what.

any clues on how ot determine the maker of the board so I CAN get the jumper map?

G

thanx for the info,

but there is one problem, I can't get anything to work..no vid signal nothing (the board does get power though)and by what I see to get the ID, I need a functioning OS

could this be do to imporper config of the CPU?

should I rip out teh BIOS chip and shove it on an other board that I know is congifed properly?
~ Pat D

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Probably not. You'll have to know the basics of getting the system up first. For instance, the black power leads face each other on an AT motherboard. And you should first try to get it up with the drive cables uninstalled if you're unsure of their orientation. Memory needs to be installed correctly. Processor down all the way. Etc.

Also, if you installed the mobo yourself-the most common cause of no boot in a bare system is grounding of the motherboard to a misplaced mounting post.

G

I've built manny a system in my lifetime, just never seen this problem before.

I HAVE seen it when the CPU and the jumper settings for the proper clock speed of the CPU are not set properly. Also when there is a beep code (not sure if there is one, got no PC speaker attached...yet)

since I'm running higher density ram then the board was desgined for (I'm assuming here) could that be an issue also?

~ Pat D

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It could be the RAM, but normally that results in a beep code. The only things I know of off the top of my head that result in no beep code are:
Processor overclocked too far (can't be done with the 200 on your motherboard).
Power cables on motherboard backwards.
Drive cables backwards.
Motherboard grounded by extra mounting post.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Crash, you seem to have missed his stated reason for no beep codes... no speeker installed.

Try getting the board running with only one CPU, perhaps there is a jumper for one or two CPUs.

Trollin', Trollin', Trollin'
Get them posts a goin'
My fingers are swullen
Rawhide!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
best method to test the board is remove it, put it on something that is non-conductive (like a phone book), plug in just a Video Card, memory, ram, and keyboard, hook up a power supply, and test the board itself. In addition, he could get the BIOS ID he needs.

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Yes, that was BS :-(
Trying too fast...
Ok then, bront had a good idea, trying with one cpu! If, i`m not mistaken, my dual p socket 5 digital does have jumpers to set as single or dual. Perhaps his is at single?
Also to get his bios string, he could get a post with a smaller, "supported" cpu as p-100/120.
Another link for Award bios info: <A HREF="http://www.xs4all.nl/~matrix/bios_id_1.html" target="_new">http://www.xs4all.nl/~matrix/bios_id_1.html</A>
Sorry for the bull...
Another link for iding your board with FCC number: <A HREF="http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/fcc.html" target="_new">http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/fcc.html</A>
Also do send in the bios string if you do get it.
If you have the FCC number send that in.

Danny

Nostradamus: "In the year 2002 naked alien women will descend to earth"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pike on 01/11/02 09:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I know about old systems, Pentium processors, etc, but have never tried assembling a multi-processor system (except for one P-Pro). I know that the same facts hold true concerning tolerable voltage levels, cooling, multipliers, etc. What I don't know is SMP compatability details for the Pentium MMX.