MSN Messenger trouble with audio

I have set up a new webcam with microphone followed the audio/vidio Wizard, I
can see my contact but can't hear him. He says he can see and hear me ok.
Have tested speakers in wizard and they are reproducing sound ok. What am I
doing wrong?
2 answers Last reply
More about messenger trouble audio

    Normally with your setup one cannot send any sound. However, using the
    camera mic is NOT the recommended method. Go to your local computer store
    and purchase a mic ($15) and plug it into your Sound Card on the back of the
    computer and then run the Wizard.

    Joel

    "maggies floral" <maggies floral@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have set up a new webcam with microphone followed the audio/vidio Wizard,
    > can see my contact but can't hear him. He says he can see and hear me ok.
    > Have tested speakers in wizard and they are reproducing sound ok. What am
    > doing wrong?

    MSN Messenger 6.2 audio/video requirements:

    1. If using a modem/router it must be UPnP compatible. Set Zone Alarm to
    medium or shutdown, but if you are proficient with the settings, allow MSN
    Messenger 6.2.0205 access to the Internet.

    2. On the Network Connections, right click Local Area Connection, go to
    Properties, and the General tab should show a check mark only on Client for
    Microsoft Network, and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). No check on File and
    Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, nor on QoS Packet Scheduler.

    3. The Windows Firewall should be ON (recommended) and no check in Don't
    allow exceptions . The Exceptions tab will later show the MSN Messenger
    6.2.0205 and UPnP Framework as being active.

    4. In the Control Panel > Add Remove Programs > Add Remove Windows
    Components, scroll to Networking Services and remove all checks, except for
    Internet Gateway Device Discovery, and for UPnP User Interface. Click Ok,
    Next, and after clicking Next the Windows Wizard Component will run. Click
    Finish; now the UPnP will automatically open all required ports.

    5. Sign in on Messenger and run Audio/Video Tuning Wizard. In the Tools >
    Options > Connection tab, you should read You are connected to the Internet
    through a UPnP symmetric NAT. (Administrator); if you are using a dial-up
    line it will read You are connected to the Internet using a direct
    connection. Now check the Windows Firewall Exceptions list, the MSN Messenger
    6.2.0205 and UPnP Framework will now have a check mark and the required ports
    automatically open.

    6. Both Windows XP users sides should have similar setups, with working
    webcams and microphones. Remember that one side can have dial-up and the
    other a UPnP compatible modem/router.

    Hope this will help, it has with many people. Your friend, Erfain.

    "Joel Estes" wrote:

    > Normally with your setup one cannot send any sound. However, using the
    > camera mic is NOT the recommended method. Go to your local computer store
    > and purchase a mic ($15) and plug it into your Sound Card on the back of the
    > computer and then run the Wizard.
    >
    > Joel
    >
    > "maggies floral" <maggies floral@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have set up a new webcam with microphone followed the audio/vidio Wizard,
    > > can see my contact but can't hear him. He says he can see and hear me ok.
    > > Have tested speakers in wizard and they are reproducing sound ok. What am
    > > doing wrong?

Audio MSN Messenger Windows XP