Hotmail working while MSN Messenger is installed

Hi all. I have been having problems for the last week or so, accessing
hotmail via Internet Explorer 6. After I have logged in, the next page that
opens, freezes. I have to use task manager to end the iexplore.exe process.
This problem has something to do with MSN Messenger 6.2 - msnmsgr.exe starts
after signing in to hotmail and sometimes the messenger icon appears in the
system tray, other times it just flashes up for a second. I have all the
checkboxes in the sign in section of messenger options unchecked, (The ones
about signing in automatically when logging onto Windows, and when connecting
to the internet etc.).

I have checked in event viewer, and I am getting the error below. I have
checked here in the registry:
HKCR\Clsid\{323C0F99-820A-4E0B-B714-57942C6D9678}\localserver32, as
suggested by the Help and Support centre, and it points to msnmsgr.exe being
the problem :

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10010
Date: 1/12/2004
Time: 7:46:34 AM
User: *******\********
Computer: *******
The server {323C0F99-820A-4E0B-B714-57942C6D9678} did not register with DCOM
within the required timeout.

This problem is happening with both my computers. I CAN access hotmail via
the hotmail account in Microsoft Outlook. I have installed the latest
version of MSN Messenger, but still have the problem unless Messenger is
uninstalled,

Andy

Greetings,

This problem was introduced during the recent Hotmail upgrade; the easiest solution is just
to start Messenger before you access Hotmail.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"yaabaa" <yaabaa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all. I have been having problems for the last week or so, accessing
> hotmail via Internet Explorer 6. After I have logged in, the next page that
> opens, freezes. I have to use task manager to end the iexplore.exe process.
> This problem has something to do with MSN Messenger 6.2 - msnmsgr.exe starts
> after signing in to hotmail and sometimes the messenger icon appears in the
> system tray, other times it just flashes up for a second. I have all the
> checkboxes in the sign in section of messenger options unchecked, (The ones
> about signing in automatically when logging onto Windows, and when connecting
> to the internet etc.).
>
> I have checked in event viewer, and I am getting the error below. I have
> checked here in the registry:
> HKCR\Clsid\{323C0F99-820A-4E0B-B714-57942C6D9678}\localserver32, as
> suggested by the Help and Support centre, and it points to msnmsgr.exe being
> the problem :
>
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: DCOM
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 10010
> Date: 1/12/2004
> Time: 7:46:34 AM
> User: *******\********
> Computer: *******
> The server {323C0F99-820A-4E0B-B714-57942C6D9678} did not register with DCOM
> within the required timeout.

> This problem is happening with both my computers. I CAN access hotmail via
> the hotmail account in Microsoft Outlook. I have installed the latest
> version of MSN Messenger, but still have the problem unless Messenger is
> uninstalled,
>
> Andy

Thanks Jonathon - that seems to work - do you know if there will be a fix for
this problem?
Andy

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> This problem was introduced during the recent Hotmail upgrade; the easiest solution is just
> to start Messenger before you access Hotmail.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "yaabaa" <yaabaa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all. I have been having problems for the last week or so, accessing
> > hotmail via Internet Explorer 6. After I have logged in, the next page that
> > opens, freezes. I have to use task manager to end the iexplore.exe process.
> > This problem has something to do with MSN Messenger 6.2 - msnmsgr.exe starts
> > after signing in to hotmail and sometimes the messenger icon appears in the
> > system tray, other times it just flashes up for a second. I have all the
> > checkboxes in the sign in section of messenger options unchecked, (The ones
> > about signing in automatically when logging onto Windows, and when connecting
> > to the internet etc.).
> >
> > I have checked in event viewer, and I am getting the error below. I have
> > checked here in the registry:
> > HKCR\Clsid\{323C0F99-820A-4E0B-B714-57942C6D9678}\localserver32, as
> > suggested by the Help and Support centre, and it points to msnmsgr.exe being
> > the problem :
> >
> > Event Type: Error
> > Event Source: DCOM
> > Event Category: None
> > Event ID: 10010
> > Date: 1/12/2004
> > Time: 7:46:34 AM
> > User: *******\********
> > Computer: *******
> > The server {323C0F99-820A-4E0B-B714-57942C6D9678} did not register with DCOM
> > within the required timeout.

> > This problem is happening with both my computers. I CAN access hotmail via
> > the hotmail account in Microsoft Outlook. I have installed the latest
> > version of MSN Messenger, but still have the problem unless Messenger is
> > uninstalled,
> >
> > Andy

Hi Andy,

I believe they're working on fixing this asap.

> Thanks Jonathon - that seems to work - do you know if there will be a fix for
> this problem?
> Andy
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> This problem was introduced during the recent Hotmail upgrade; the easiest solution is
>> just
>> to start Messenger before you access Hotmail.
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>>
>> "yaabaa" <yaabaa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi all. I have been having problems for the last week or so, accessing
>> > hotmail via Internet Explorer 6. After I have logged in, the next page that
>> > opens, freezes. I have to use task manager to end the iexplore.exe process.
>> > This problem has something to do with MSN Messenger 6.2 - msnmsgr.exe starts
>> > after signing in to hotmail and sometimes the messenger icon appears in the
>> > system tray, other times it just flashes up for a second. I have all the
>> > checkboxes in the sign in section of messenger options unchecked, (The ones
>> > about signing in automatically when logging onto Windows, and when connecting
>> > to the internet etc.).
>> >
>> > I have checked in event viewer, and I am getting the error below. I have
>> > checked here in the registry:
>> > HKCR\Clsid\{323C0F99-820A-4E0B-B714-57942C6D9678}\localserver32, as
>> > suggested by the Help and Support centre, and it points to msnmsgr.exe being
>> > the problem :
>> >
>> > Event Type: Error
>> > Event Source: DCOM
>> > Event Category: None
>> > Event ID: 10010
>> > Date: 1/12/2004
>> > Time: 7:46:34 AM
>> > User: *******\********
>> > Computer: *******
>> > The server {323C0F99-820A-4E0B-B714-57942C6D9678} did not register with DCOM
>> > within the required timeout.
>> >
>> > For more information, see Help and Support Center at
>> > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
>> >
>> > This problem is happening with both my computers. I CAN access hotmail via
>> > the hotmail account in Microsoft Outlook. I have installed the latest
>> > version of MSN Messenger, but still have the problem unless Messenger is
>> > uninstalled,
>> >
>> > Andy

Thanking you again Jonathon - I will keep an eye out for the fix,
Andy

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> I believe they're working on fixing this asap.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "yaabaa" <yaabaa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Jonathon - that seems to work - do you know if there will be a fix for
> > this problem?
> > Andy
> >
> > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> This problem was introduced during the recent Hotmail upgrade; the easiest solution is
> >> just
> >> to start Messenger before you access Hotmail.
> >> ____________________________________________
> >> Jonathan Kay
> >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
> >> Associate Expert
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
> >> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> >> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
> >> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
> >>
> >> "yaabaa" <yaabaa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi Andy,

Me too :)

yaabaa Wrote:
> Hi all. I have been having problems for the last week or so, accessing
> hotmail via Internet Explorer 6. After I have logged in, the next page
> that
> opens, freezes. I have to use task manager to end the iexplore.exe
> process.
> This problem has something to do with MSN Messenger 6.2 - msnmsgr.exe
> starts
> after signing in to hotmail and sometimes the messenger icon appears in
> the
> system tray, other times it just flashes up for a second. I have all
> the
> checkboxes in the sign in section of messenger options unchecked, (The
> ones
> about signing in automatically when logging onto Windows, and when
> connecting
> to the internet etc.).
>
> I have checked in event viewer, and I am getting the error below. I
> have
> checked here in the registry:
> HKCR\Clsid\{323C0F99-820A-4E0B-B714-57942C6D9678}\localserver32, as
> suggested by the Help and Support centre, and it points to msnmsgr.exe
> being
> the problem :
>
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: DCOM
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 10010
> Date: 1/12/2004
> Time: 7:46:34 AM
> User: *******\********
> Computer: *******
> The server {323C0F99-820A-4E0B-B714-57942C6D9678} did not register with
> DCOM
> within the required timeout.

> This problem is happening with both my computers. I CAN access hotmail
> via
> the hotmail account in Microsoft Outlook. I have installed the latest
> version of MSN Messenger, but still have the problem unless Messenger
> is
> uninstalled,
>
> Andy

hi-the problem you described is the same as my own in every way.has
been driving me mad recently and was put onto this link via another
help site.
as you have done,i have tried to stop msn messenger coming up in system
tray(by unclicking whatever i could) but it still keeps appearing.i
noted the comments and advice you received;i am not so keen on idea of
having to startup messenger every time,then going into hotmail;am
tempted to uninstall 6.2 version and re-install earlier 4.7. what did
you do?

--
leylandguy

leylandguy Wrote:
> hi-the problem you described is the same as my own in every way.has been
> driving me mad recently and was put onto this link via another help
> site.
> as you have done,i have tried to stop msn messenger coming up in system
> tray(by unclicking whatever i could) but it still keeps appearing.i
> noted the comments and advice you received;i am not so keen on idea of
> having to startup messenger every time,then going into hotmail;am
> tempted to uninstall 6.2 version and re-install earlier 4.7. what did
> you do?

oh-just realised my error.can't revert to version 4.7 because that is
windows messenger,not msn!
will just have to watch this space,as they say,to check for fix to this
problem.

--
leylandguy

Jonathon, I have found a fix which appears to work. It is from another
forum, from a guy who calls himself Viking, from Sweden - thanks Viking !!!

In the registry, look up the ProgID for the msnmsgr.exe
HKCR\Clsid\{323C0F99-820A-4E0B-B714-57942C6D9678}\ProgID

It's "MSNMessengerPrivate.MessengerPriv". We will use this later...

In Control Panel, open Administrative Tools and launch Component Services.

Under Console Root, double-clik "component services" and then expand it like
this:

Component Services->Computers->My Computer->COM+ Applications

Right-click on "COM+ Applications" and select New -> Application
The COM+ Install Application Wizard starts... click Next.

Click "Create an empty application."
Give it a name... e.g. "My MSN Fix" and click Next, Next and Finish.

Expand your newly created COM+ application, right-click on the "Components"
folder,
select New -> Component

The "COM+ Component Install Wizard" starts... click Next.
Click on "Import component(s) that are already registered."
Scroll down the Component List and select
"MSNMessengerPrivate.MessengerPriv" , click Next and Finish.

DONE! Close all windows, start I.E. and try Hotmail again.

Best regards, Andy

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> Me too :)
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "yaabaa" <yaabaa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanking you again Jonathon - I will keep an eye out for the fix,
> > Andy
> >
> > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Andy,
> >>
> >> I believe they're working on fixing this asap.
> >> ____________________________________________
> >> Jonathan Kay
> >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
> >> Associate Expert
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
> >> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> >> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
> >> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
> >>
> >> "yaabaa" <yaabaa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi leylandguy. I am unsure if you tried what I mentioned in my last post -
making a new COM+ application etc. Is that what you mean by trying to make
MSN Messenger stop coming up in the system tray? The COM+ thing worked a
treat for me, so you must have a worse prob than me. I wish I could help
more!!
Andy

yaabaa Wrote:
> Hi leylandguy. I am unsure if you tried what I mentioned in my last
> post -
> making a new COM+ application etc. Is that what you mean by trying to
> make
> MSN Messenger stop coming up in the system tray? The COM+ thing worked
> treat for me, so you must have a worse prob than me. I wish I could
> help
> more!!
> Andy
>
> "leylandguy" wrote:
> -
>
> leylandguy Wrote:-
> hi-the problem you described is the same as my own in every way.has
> been
> driving me mad recently and was put onto this link via another help
> site.
> as you have done,i have tried to stop msn messenger coming up in
> system
> tray(by unclicking whatever i could) but it still keeps appearing.i
> noted the comments and advice you received;i am not so keen on idea
> of
> having to startup messenger every time,then going into hotmail;am
> tempted to uninstall 6.2 version and re-install earlier 4.7. what
> did
> you do?-
>

> oh-just realised my error.can't revert to version 4.7 because that is
> windows messenger,not msn!
> will just have to watch this space,as they say,to check for fix to
> this
> problem.
>

> --
> leylandguy
> -

thx for that.i will give that 'fix' a try at some point,not had time
yet.am always wary of messing in registry etc but it seemed to have
worked ok for you. am running messenger when needing hotmail at the
moment,saving the frustration of 'freezing' pages! hope a patch or fix
is done soon by msn-do hope i see it when it appears;will have to keep
my eyes peeled to these pages,i suppose. i was just amazed i didn't see
many similar posts about this problem elsewhere,really.

--
leylandguy