Can I Hardwire USB Printer to a Linksys Wireless Router?

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I have an external Cable modem that I want to connect to a
wireless router which will run an 802.11g equipped laptop. A
cheap USB printer will be located next to the wireless router and
I would like to make a hard wire connection from the printer to
the router. I would appreciate the recommendation of a suitable
Linksys wireless router, with a port for the printer, with
encryptation, etc., and good wireless range. A couple of extra
RJ-45 NIC ports on the wireless router, to hard wire other
computers, would be nice. Reasonably expensive is OK.

Thanks,
John

John <john@nospam.net> wrote in news:2atge092nb3jdo165htfn5pgducsl10qts@
4ax.com:

> I would like to make a hard wire connection from the printer to
> the router

Unless your router has a USB printer port... you can't do this.

Dlink has a router with a USB print server. Otherwise you can get a stand-
alone USB print server from Linksys which u can then hook up to your router
through an ethernet cable or wireless.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 00:21:15 GMT, Lucas Tam
<REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote:

>John <john@nospam.net> wrote in news:2atge092nb3jdo165htfn5pgducsl10qts@
>4ax.com:
>
>> I would like to make a hard wire connection from the printer to
>> the router
>
>Unless your router has a USB printer port... you can't do this.
>
>Dlink has a router with a USB print server. Otherwise you can get a stand-
>alone USB print server from Linksys which u can then hook up to your router
>through an ethernet cable or wireless.

Thanks, Lucas. As per your Dlink suggestion, Dl-824VUP router
($145-$190) has an USB print server port. So I will use that
one.

John