Help With Master/Slave Configurations

G

Can anyone suggest what cdroms/hdd I should connect to where. eg Primary/secondary master/slave. My specs are:

Asus A7V-133 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 1.1Ghz C
128Mb PC-133 RAM
Asus AGP-7100 VGA Card
Sound Blaster Live! OEM
Quantum 20Gb HDD
Sony CRX-145E 10/4/32
Creative 52x CD-ROM
Pioneer 106S DVD-ROM
1.44 FDD
AOpenHX-45 Case

I would like to know this because when I burn CDRs, a recieve a lot of buffer under runs so I have to burn at a slow 6x on my 10x sony burner. Also, I would like to use my pioneer to read the cds for my sony burner because I heard it has a higher data read rate than my noisy Creative 52x drive. Any Replies would be appreciated. Thanks

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
based on what you have said, I would put the HDD pri master, DVD pri slave, CDRW sec master, CDROM sec slave.

This will let you copy on the fly from dvd to cdr

Although this is not ideal if you rip lots of DVDs.

-- There are no answers to find in the bottom of a glass. But you can have fun looking for them.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The basic idea is that the burner should be on a separate chain from the device being copied from. This is because IDE can only access one device at a time per cable.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Why do you want to use CD-ROM when your DVD would be fast enough?
Anyway, I would suggest
<b><font color=blue>Promise Primary Master controller</b></font color=blue>___ Quantum 20G HD
Onboard Prim. Master___ Sony CDRW
Onboard Secondary Master___ Pioneer DVD-106S
Onboard Secondary Slave___ Creative 52X CD-ROM (IMO, you should get rid of it because it wouldn't be neccessary)

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would put the HDD pri master, DVD pri slave
Doesn't setting up like this will cause the Hard disk's performance decrease by sharing data transfer (both of them on same cable)?

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.