Reality of the Nextel Sprint Merger

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
July 16, 2005 9:04:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

So I am wondering what is and will be the reality of the Nextel Sprint
merger. Especially from the view point of a Nextel customer.

Will things improve or get worse?
How about coverage and new equipment?
Will they start making phones that will work on both Networks?
How about Direct Connect to and from each others walkie-talkie service?

What are the realities?

I know now Nextel is very Emergency Service Friendly and will work with
individuals to get the benefits they offer Emergency Services. Will this
happen in the future?

The list goes on but you get the idea.

Thank you,

TC
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 3:17:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

Emergency Service friendly? Are you a fool? Nextel is interfering with tens
of thousands of Emergency Service systems across the country and they are
being forced by the FCC to change all of their frequencies.

"TC" <travelclarkie@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:D z0Ce.43751$0i3.6690@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> So I am wondering what is and will be the reality of the Nextel Sprint
> merger. Especially from the view point of a Nextel customer.
>
> Will things improve or get worse?
> How about coverage and new equipment?
> Will they start making phones that will work on both Networks?
> How about Direct Connect to and from each others walkie-talkie service?
>
> What are the realities?
>
> I know now Nextel is very Emergency Service Friendly and will work with
> individuals to get the benefits they offer Emergency Services. Will this
> happen in the future?
>
> The list goes on but you get the idea.
>
> Thank you,
>
> TC
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 3:17:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

Is Nextel really interfering with emergency services, or is that problem
really that the emergency service radios have poor RF image rejection? That
is the real problem.

"Scott Kramer" <witheld> wrote in message
> Emergency Service friendly? Are you a fool? Nextel is interfering with
> tens
> of thousands of Emergency Service systems across the country and they are
> being forced by the FCC to change all of their frequencies.
>
> "TC" <travelclarkie@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D z0Ce.43751$0i3.6690@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>> So I am wondering what is and will be the reality of the Nextel Sprint
>> merger. Especially from the view point of a Nextel customer.
>>
>> Will things improve or get worse?
>> How about coverage and new equipment?
>> Will they start making phones that will work on both Networks?
>> How about Direct Connect to and from each others walkie-talkie service?
>>
>> What are the realities?
>>
>> I know now Nextel is very Emergency Service Friendly and will work with
>> individuals to get the benefits they offer Emergency Services. Will this
>> happen in the future?
>>
>> The list goes on but you get the idea.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> TC

July 16, 2005 5:22:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

"TC" <travelclarkie@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:D z0Ce.43751$0i3.6690@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> So I am wondering what is and will be the reality of the Nextel Sprint
> merger. Especially from the view point of a Nextel customer.
>
> Will things improve or get worse?
> How about coverage and new equipment?
> Will they start making phones that will work on both Networks?
> How about Direct Connect to and from each others walkie-talkie service?
>
> What are the realities?
>
> I know now Nextel is very Emergency Service Friendly and will work with
> individuals to get the benefits they offer Emergency Services. Will this
> happen in the future?
>
> The list goes on but you get the idea.
>
> Thank you,
>
> TC

I posted something on this a couple of days ago. Nextel has said they will
be committed to the Iden system till 2010. Go to Nextel's site, click on the
merger information link, and then click the FAQ link, and check out all the
Qs and As.

Bob
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 6:34:41 PM

TC wrote:
> So I am wondering what is and will be the reality of the Nextel Sprint
> merger. Especially from the view point of a Nextel customer.
>
> Will things improve or get worse?

Improve, I think. For example, there are places here that are outside Sprint
coverage where there are Nextel towers. I'm sure the converse is also true.

Nextel users will also eventually get the benefits of not being on a dying
technology. (IS-136/TDMA is what I'm referring to, not the SMR portion of
the service.)

> I know now Nextel is very Emergency Service Friendly and will work with
> individuals to get the benefits they offer Emergency Services. Will this
> happen in the future?

What benefits, exactly?

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
July 16, 2005 9:43:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

ok, I guess I should clarify. Yes they have messed with the dispatching
and day to day.

But there are features that they over to government and Emergency
services that they will allow individuals to sign up for if they can
prove a need. That is where they are nice.

Plus I know several Fire, Police and EMS agencies that wanted Nextel in
the area and Nextel very quickly with no hassle put towers up in there
area. In comparison to other companies either said NO or gave massive
hassles so now these agencies can take advantage of Nextel.

Plus in my area Nextel is working with the local EMS Region to use
Nextel to get in touch with Hospital and still be taped, secure and have
245/7/365 access. Plus working with 911 dispatch centers.

But you are right Nextel is messing with the frequencies.

TC

Scott Kramer wrote:
> Emergency Service friendly? Are you a fool? Nextel is interfering with tens
> of thousands of Emergency Service systems across the country and they are
> being forced by the FCC to change all of their frequencies.
>
> "TC" <travelclarkie@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D z0Ce.43751$0i3.6690@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>
>>So I am wondering what is and will be the reality of the Nextel Sprint
>>merger. Especially from the view point of a Nextel customer.
>>
>>Will things improve or get worse?
>>How about coverage and new equipment?
>>Will they start making phones that will work on both Networks?
>>How about Direct Connect to and from each others walkie-talkie service?
>>
>>What are the realities?
>>
>>I know now Nextel is very Emergency Service Friendly and will work with
>>individuals to get the benefits they offer Emergency Services. Will this
>>happen in the future?
>>
>>The list goes on but you get the idea.
>>
>>Thank you,
>>
>>TC

July 16, 2005 9:48:52 PM

Bob Smith wrote:
> "TC" <travelclarkie@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D z0Ce.43751$0i3.6690@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>
>>So I am wondering what is and will be the reality of the Nextel Sprint
>>merger. Especially from the view point of a Nextel customer.
>>
>>Will things improve or get worse?
>>How about coverage and new equipment?
>>Will they start making phones that will work on both Networks?
>>How about Direct Connect to and from each others walkie-talkie service?
>>
>>What are the realities?
>>
>>I know now Nextel is very Emergency Service Friendly and will work with
>>individuals to get the benefits they offer Emergency Services. Will this
>>happen in the future?
>>
>>The list goes on but you get the idea.
>>
>>Thank you,
>>
>>TC
>

> I posted something on this a couple of days ago. Nextel has said they will
> be committed to the Iden system till 2010. Go to Nextel's site, click on the
> merger information link, and then click the FAQ link, and check out all the
> Qs and As.
>
> Bob

Bob,

That is what they say. But is it true? I'm thinking if they get rid
of IDen then what's the point for improving or upkeeping. There is
something that is not being said.

TC
July 16, 2005 9:51:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

Yes, It is true that because of the frequencies that Nextel uses they do
mess with other radio users primarily Emergency Services. I have read in
many trade magazines for EMS, Fire, Police, Dispatch. Plus I am an
amature radio operater and have read about it in several Ham Magazines
and read things on the FCC web site.

This is unfortent but true. It's partly the FCC fault because they could
have prevented this very easily.

TC

Mij Adyaw wrote:
> Is Nextel really interfering with emergency services, or is that problem
> really that the emergency service radios have poor RF image rejection? That
> is the real problem.
>

> "Scott Kramer" <witheld> wrote in message
>
>>Emergency Service friendly? Are you a fool? Nextel is interfering with
>>tens
>>of thousands of Emergency Service systems across the country and they are
>>being forced by the FCC to change all of their frequencies.
>>
>>"TC" <travelclarkie@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>news:D z0Ce.43751$0i3.6690@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>>
>>>So I am wondering what is and will be the reality of the Nextel Sprint
>>>merger. Especially from the view point of a Nextel customer.
>>>
>>>Will things improve or get worse?
>>>How about coverage and new equipment?
>>>Will they start making phones that will work on both Networks?
>>>How about Direct Connect to and from each others walkie-talkie service?
>>>
>>>What are the realities?
>>>
>>>I know now Nextel is very Emergency Service Friendly and will work with
>>>individuals to get the benefits they offer Emergency Services. Will this
>>>happen in the future?
>>>
>>>The list goes on but you get the idea.
>>>
>>>Thank you,
>>>
>>>TC

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 11:15:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

The reason that Nextel interferes with public service radios is because the
public service radios have poor image rejection. This is not the fault of
Nextel equipment. It is the fault of the bargain public service radios that
have poor image rejection.

> Yes, It is true that because of the frequencies that Nextel uses they do
> mess with other radio users primarily Emergency Services. I have read in
> many trade magazines for EMS, Fire, Police, Dispatch. Plus I am an amature
> radio operater and have read about it in several Ham Magazines and read
> things on the FCC web site.
>
> This is unfortent but true. It's partly the FCC fault because they could
> have prevented this very easily.
>
> TC
>
> Mij Adyaw wrote:
>> Is Nextel really interfering with emergency services, or is that problem
>> really that the emergency service radios have poor RF image rejection?
>> That is the real problem.
>>

>> "Scott Kramer" <witheld> wrote in message
>>
>>>Emergency Service friendly? Are you a fool? Nextel is interfering with
>>>tens
>>>of thousands of Emergency Service systems across the country and they are
>>>being forced by the FCC to change all of their frequencies.
>>>
>>>"TC" <travelclarkie@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>news:D z0Ce.43751$0i3.6690@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 7:53:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

NEXTEL is not being moved from the 800 band. They are performing a
frequency "swap" with the Public Safety NPSPAC band that is currently
between 866 and 869 MHz (right below the "A" side cellular band"). The
1.9GHz spectrum is being awarded for 1. the areas of the 800 band that
they are giving up and 2. the 700 MHz spectrum that they won by
auction and have already paid for. These 2 items in conjunction with
paying completely for the re-programming and/or replacing Public Safety
radios and radio systems that are affected by the band relocation.

Here is a pictorial of the re-banding:
http://www.911dispatch.com/information/nextel/fcc_confi... and to
clarify the terms, NPSPAC is the "Public Safety Band" and ESMR are the
NEXTEL/SoLinc type carriers.

Here is an informative pdf from the Transition Administrator:
http://www.800ta.org/PDFs/IWCERef.pdf or this one for more
information.
http://www.911dispatch.com/information/nextel/nextel_pl...
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 3:00:02 PM

TC wrote:
> So I am wondering what is and will be the reality of the Nextel Sprint
> merger. Especially from the view point of a Nextel customer.
>
> Will things improve or get worse?

Thing swill stay the same.

> How about coverage and new equipment?

The same for a good while.

> Will they start making phones that will work on both Networks?

Rumored, but nothing firm.

> How about Direct Connect to and from each others walkie-talkie service?

Again rumored, but nothing firm.

> What are the realities?

The "realities" are that while Sprint plans to maintain iDEN for at
least a couple more years, eventually they will want to turn down the
iDEN network and migrate people to CDMA.

> I know now Nextel is very Emergency Service Friendly

HA! Tell that to the various law enforcement agencies whose
communications are frequently DISRUPTED thanks to Nextel. :)

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
July 17, 2005 3:02:46 PM

Mij Adyaw wrote:
> Is Nextel really interfering with emergency services, or is that problem
> really that the emergency service radios have poor RF image rejection?

More like, Nextel's equipment performs poorly in terms of spurious RF.
It's hard to reject an image that is spilling over into your lawfully
assigned frequency.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
July 17, 2005 3:05:13 PM

Mij Adyaw wrote:
> The reason that Nextel interferes with public service radios is because the
> public service radios have poor image rejection. This is not the fault of
> Nextel equipment. It is the fault of the bargain public service radios that
> have poor image rejection.

Mij, if you had any idea how much Emergency services radios cost and the
tolerances and specs they are designed to, you'd be eating your words.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
July 17, 2005 3:05:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

I am sure that emergency radios cost much less than the Nextel Cell Site
Transmitters and that the transmitters are designed to very tight
tolerances.

"Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
> Mij Adyaw wrote:
>> The reason that Nextel interferes with public service radios is because
>> the public service radios have poor image rejection. This is not the
>> fault of Nextel equipment. It is the fault of the bargain public service
>> radios that have poor image rejection.
>
> Mij, if you had any idea how much Emergency services radios cost and the
> tolerances and specs they are designed to, you'd be eating your words.
>

> --
> E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
> Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 6:02:31 PM

Mij Adyaw wrote:
> I am sure that emergency radios cost much less than the Nextel Cell Site
> Transmitters and that the transmitters are designed to very tight
> tolerances.

Sadly Mij, you are still wrong. A good majority of Nextel's cell site
transmitters, particularly those in major metro areas, are actual
buyouts from older analog SMR companies. Some have been better
maintained than others.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
July 17, 2005 8:03:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

Are they not FCC approved? If the transmitters are FCC approved and the
Public Service Radios are FCC approved and the frequencies are allocated by
the FCC so that there will be no interference, then where is the problem?

Are the Nextel transmitters not compliant with FCC tolerances?

> Mij Adyaw wrote:
>> I am sure that emergency radios cost much less than the Nextel Cell Site
>> Transmitters and that the transmitters are designed to very tight
>> tolerances.
>
> Sadly Mij, you are still wrong. A good majority of Nextel's cell site
> transmitters, particularly those in major metro areas, are actual buyouts
> from older analog SMR companies. Some have been better maintained than
> others.
>

> --
> E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
> Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 9:45:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

But are emergency radios picking up interference from Nextel's cell site
transmitters or from individual customer's handsets?
Either way, the transmitting equipment has to be FCC approved
before it can be sold.

--
John Richards

Mij Adyaw wrote:
> I am sure that emergency radios cost much less than the Nextel Cell Site
> Transmitters and that the transmitters are designed to very tight
> tolerances.
>
> "Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
>> Mij Adyaw wrote:
>>> The reason that Nextel interferes with public service radios is because
>>> the public service radios have poor image rejection. This is not the
>>> fault of Nextel equipment. It is the fault of the bargain public service
>>> radios that have poor image rejection.
>>
>> Mij, if you had any idea how much Emergency services radios cost and the
>> tolerances and specs they are designed to, you'd be eating your words.
July 20, 2005 3:47:11 AM

"Batman????" <batman@orwho.org> wrote in message
> Aren't they being forced off of 800Meg and most likely would
> also make the switch then? The move to 1900Mhs is not
> a question if if - it's when

No they are not "being forced off of 800Meg.
July 29, 2005 9:31:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

"Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
> Mij Adyaw wrote:
>> I am sure that emergency radios cost much less than the Nextel Cell Site
>> Transmitters and that the transmitters are designed to very tight
>> tolerances.
>
> Sadly Mij, you are still wrong. A good majority of Nextel's cell site
> transmitters, particularly those in major metro areas, are actual buyouts
> from older analog SMR companies. Some have been better maintained than
> others.

Having been in the 2-way radio industry for over 30 years, I can speak with
s fair amount of authority. The problem is basically two fold: First, the
public safety radios were not designed work in close proximity to the high
power cell sites of Nextel. Motorola has admitted this and has said they
could manufacture radios that would eliminate most if not all of the
interference. The second reason is that the FCC, in their great wisdom,
intermingled the Public Safety and Private Radio Service channels. In their
defense they probably never envisioned the Specialized Mobile Radio Service
(SMR) systems being allowed to operate on "low" sites - they were originally
higher power sites located on towers, mountains and tall buildings and
spaced 30 - 7- miles apart. You didn't have a 4 watt portable trying to
work 100 yards away form a 100' tower with 10 - 20 transmitters going at
once.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 2:05:18 AM

"brutus" <brutus@thebrute.com> wrote in message > "Isaiah Beard"
<sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message

> > Mij Adyaw wrote:
> >> I am sure that emergency radios cost much less than the Nextel Cell
Site
> >> Transmitters and that the transmitters are designed to very tight
> >> tolerances.
> >
> > Sadly Mij, you are still wrong. A good majority of Nextel's cell site
> > transmitters, particularly those in major metro areas, are actual
buyouts
> > from older analog SMR companies. Some have been better maintained than
> > others.
> >

> Having been in the 2-way radio industry for over 30 years, I can speak
with
> s fair amount of authority. The problem is basically two fold: First,
the
> public safety radios were not designed work in close proximity to the high
> power cell sites of Nextel. Motorola has admitted this and has said they
> could manufacture radios that would eliminate most if not all of the
> interference. The second reason is that the FCC, in their great wisdom,
> intermingled the Public Safety and Private Radio Service channels. In
their
> defense they probably never envisioned the Specialized Mobile Radio
Service
> (SMR) systems being allowed to operate on "low" sites - they were
originally
> higher power sites located on towers, mountains and tall buildings and
> spaced 30 - 7- miles apart. You didn't have a 4 watt portable trying to
> work 100 yards away form a 100' tower with 10 - 20 transmitters going at
> once.

sorry for bottom posting;bad habit.

Above is pretty much the jist of Motorola told us at a meeting last year
after a FCC decision was made.Motorola two way Dealer here.Luckily we do not
have much Public Safety on 800mhz here.Seems mostly the problems have in
CO,MI,FL,CA,NM and not so much NE States.

WKR

Albany,NY
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 2:05:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

In article <yKxGe.588$0m1.63@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
"WKR" <Wayner@nycap.rr.comREMOVE> wrote:

> sorry for bottom posting;bad habit.

Bottom posting is the *correct* way to do it.

Quote what you're talking about, then reply below that. Trim anything
you're not replying directly to.

Top posting is bad form.
!