Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Prob:
My Epox EP-8KHA+ refuses to reboot 2 out of 3 times when it´s supposed to.
I have the latest BIOS and I intend to flash it.
But, as the computer doesn´t reboot when it should, might a flash go wrong?
I figure that the new BIOS puts itself in the RAM somehow and when I reboot and enter BIOS to load setup defaults it reads the info from RAM?
If I have to push reset a couple of times to POST, isn´t it a chance that the new BIOS data will get lost and hence there will be no info to load when I "load setup defaults"?

more...
when the computer´s not rebooting, the display on the mobo that is showing error codes gives me this:
"Copy BIOS to shadow 0000-F0000" or similar, didn´t helped me alot.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jake75 on 01/11/02 03:58 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Read the manual and see what it say about bios flash, if it say you can do it and can use aflash then it's simple. I was scared to do mine after using cheap "through windows" flash application and screwing up my bios for good. But after using aflash I couldn't believe how simple it was.

Using aflash:
Take an empty floppy, in dos prompt type: format a:/s
Make sure it didn't copy autoexec.bat and config.sys files.
Copy aflash to floppy.
Copy new bios to floppy.
Make sure your box boot floppy first in boot sequence!!!!
Turn off your box, insert floppy, boot up.
When you see A:\ type AFLASH
Hit 1 to save your current bios, name it like old.awd or something.
Hit Esc to go back.
Hit 2 to flash bios.
When it ask type in the new bios file name like A:\1007.awd
When ask to update hit Y for yes.
Wait till done, make sure it say Flashed Successfully.
If got problems the start over from first screen, DO NOT REBOOT!!!
Flash bios back to the original from same floppy.
If everything is OK reboot with no floppy, hold DEL and load setup defaults.
When all done, you can reboot another time and change stuff around in bios to your liking.

This is only for aflash! If you need another toy then ask somebody who used that.

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red> ;)

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
thanks for the tips, but I still need to know wheter it´s risk free to push the reset button a few times without losing important BIOS data.

After I´ve run the BIOS flash program, the computer will propably not boot when I reset it, so I have to push the reset button a few times to make it boot.
When you push reset, doesn´t it clear memory? if so, doesn´t the new BIOS info dissapear?
Perhaps the info can "survive" ONE reset but not multiple?

10 FOR A=1 TO 10000 : PRINT "Boredom..." : NEXT A

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I don't have a clue, try to load setup defaults in bios before flashing. It's weird that you need a couple resets to boot up, if I were you I would go through everything one by one with manual to make sure you have everything set/connected right.

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red> ;)

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Myself have flashed only once with Asus bios and a flash utility. Was lucky no problemo. It seems your problem might be more of a bad entry somewhere in your bios. Perhaps if you reset to "default" your resetting problem will be solved, well actually no, you will still need to find that bad value in bios!
My guess is if you can't reboot properly after flashing, yes you stand a good chance of loosing bios completly.
Perhaps this is BS. Tough one, really.

Nostradamus: "In the year 2002 naked alien women will descend to earth"

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
BIOS should have the new configuration stored right after a successful flash, after which it shouldn`t matter how you restart your computer. It`s only "during" the actual flash process that one need be concerned about a "hung BIOS".

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
If the newly flashed bios has the info why do I have to load setup defaults?
I figure that when you load setup defaults the computer access the data from memory or something, otherwise I don´t see the point in loading the defaults.
perhaps I´m wrong...

And I´ve read the manual (doesn´t say that much), checked connections etc etc.

ACPI function? this has something to do with power managment, does it not?
Tried to disable it with, when windows started,it searched for new drivers (mobo, AGP bridge etc, which is already installed), I clicked cancel and windows freaked out on me.

I´ve seen other mobos that let you check/uncheck different ACPI functions, mine only let you enable/disable.
Being able to select different functions in ACPI have solved similar problems for others.

Also, there have been problems with the first release of the Kha+, mine is revision 2.0 and should not have any BIOS problems, odd.

Crap!, I have to get this system working asap.
I have important work that I must finish (Fanfilm, <A HREF="http://www.Realmotion.Nu" target="_new">http://www.Realmotion.Nu</A>) and I
want everything to work perfectly! (as perfect as it can be with MS products (oh no, no sarcasm here)).

10 FOR A=1 TO 10000 : PRINT "Boredom..." : NEXT A

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'd have to agree with Kronos. If it flashes successfully you shouldn't have any problems, regardless of rebooting.

Oh go ye brown-eyed toothless wonder.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When you reboot you lose all of your data in main memory (RAM), so BIOS information can't be stored there. RAM is volatile, so its gone after you reboot. I think the configuration data is stored in the BIOS, not RAM.

Oh go ye brown-eyed toothless wonder.

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Exactly, and upon first boot after flash the new bios has all settings at "default" values and you must then "tweek" for max performance.

Nostradamus: "In the year 2002 naked alien women will descend to earth"

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Thanks yet again for your tips folks...
So, basically I should be able to flash my BIOS without any problems other than that the floppy disk might be bad or something?
Well, I´ll try it and then I will find out, it´s not like the world will crumble if it goes bad (although it´s not far from it :smile: ).

.Shitfaced.