Motherboard powers up but not much more

G

Hi,
I have a big problem with an ASUS A7V266-E motherboard that I bought very recently.
I am able to apply power to the board and switch it on. The green light comes on, the CPU and motherboard fans startup fine, and the keyboard and mouse lights come on as appropriate. It also appears to check the floppy and HDD drive. However, nothing happens after that. I do not get anything appearing on my monitor (which I know is fine). Furthermore, I do not get any beeps from the speaker which might indicate a fault.
I've tried to AGP graphics cards (GForce 3 and 2)
As well as the graphics card I've connected up:
1. An Athlon 1800XP
3. 2 * 256 DDR SDRAM DIMMS (various combinations tried) specification:
256MB 184Pin DIMM PC2100 DDR RAM Non-Parity CL2.5
4. standard floppy drive
5. Seagate Barracuda 80 Mb HDD drive
6. There's a sticker one of the ports indicating that I have Phoenix Bios.
The case has 300W power supply and is AMD recommended, for what's it worth.
I've left all of the pins defaulted (i.e. jumper free mode), although I did find that the voltage was set to 1 setting above the 'default level' stated in the book, regardless I've tried both settings. I've also ensured that the CPU switch is set to Palomino for my XP processor.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've checked all cables, and swapped around, for example the IDE cable into another socket. I've removed all PCI cards, and even tried it without the graphics card to see if it would induce it to beep. Nothing, exactly the same. It looks like its failing a check somewhere, but what? Or could the motherboard just be bust?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, all would be appreciated.

Steve

G

Could be bad memory - I bought some faulty Samsung memory from googlegear.com. After I installed it next my origional Samsung chip, I got many beeps of death. I took it out and installed it in the first slot,booted and I experienced the same thing that you are now. I guess bad memory = MB could not execute the POST. Hope this helps.

svol

Champion
Try if removing the mem/videocard gives any beeps at startup. If not htere ius a chance there is something wrong with the CPU. Can you try it in another PC?

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .