upgrade processor

Have soyo sy-6ba+ mb. w/ pentiumII 350 proc. Thinking of upgrade. Came across Evergreen Tech. Processor Performa 1 ghz. Wondering if anyone has experiance with this evergreen proc. and is it worthwhile it seems much cheaper than replacing my present mb and processor. Thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about upgrade processor
  1. It uses a Celeron, which is 15% slower than an equally clocked PIII. While you would see an improvement, for $159 I wouldn't bother. You might want to contact Powerleap to see if their iP3/T adapter with Celeron 1200 Tualatin kit will work, as this is a NEW type of Celeron that actually outperforms the PIII 1000.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
  2. Is Celeron 1.2 GHz faster then P3 1.1 GHz? Since P3 1.1 GHz have 133 MHz front bus and Celeron 1.2 GHz only have 100 MHz front bus.
  3. Can your motherboard support a 133MHz FSB? The Desktop PIII 1.13GHz is also a Tualatin, but cost 50% more than the Celeron 1.2GHz. Furthermore, it's still only 256k. But yes, it does perform better.
    The server PIII 1.13GHz is a different version with 512KB cache and cost about 30% more than the desktop version, it's faster still.
    If your motherboard can be pushed to 133MHz FSB, you might consider trying to overclock a Celeron 1.2GHz to 1.6GHz at that speed.
    The use of any of these processors requires the Powerleap iP3/T adapter (and compatability with it, ask Powerleap). Furthermore, using the 133MHz bus on your motherboard, if available, requires PC133 memory and a recent enough video card to support the 89MHz AGP clock.

4. P3 1.1 GHz still available with coppermine core so a regular slocket will be fine.
  5. Does Powerleap iP3/T adapter support 133MHz front bus?
  6. I've heard rumors about a PIII 1100 (1.10GHz), with a 100MHz FSB, but never seen one for sale anywhere. Ever. But that's not what he's refering to. The PIII 1133 (1.13GHz) is a Tualatin, because the original Coppermine version was recalled.

7. Yes, in fact it's switchable (for motherboards that autodetect bus speed).

8. Thanks for the information.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Soyo Processors