Ping Silliness With Actiontec WAP

Hi folks,

I have a small issue but it's making my crazy.

Using an Actiontec Model AU802C, 54g wap. Works well and essentially
no problems. Latest firmware installed.

I have three wireless hosts, one using an Actiontec 54g card, one
using an Asus b card and the third is a Dell Axim 30. All connect
fine and from their side all is well.

On the wired LAN I'm running Netcrunch for snmp mgt. After running a
discovery I noticed the three wireless hosts failed to be discovered,
though the wap was discovered and ID'd fine.

I then found I couldn't ping the wireless hosts, though each of them
can ping anything on the wired network.

I tried several wired boxes with the same results. In addition, while
the wireless hosts can ping the wired hosts and anything on the
"outside", they cannot ping each other.

Is this normal behavior? Seems odd and I'm figuring I just have
something fouled up.

Thanks.

Jim

<jhuddle@juth.org> wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> I have a small issue but it's making my crazy.
>
> Using an Actiontec Model AU802C, 54g wap. Works well and essentially
> no problems. Latest firmware installed.
>
> I have three wireless hosts, one using an Actiontec 54g card, one
> using an Asus b card and the third is a Dell Axim 30. All connect
> fine and from their side all is well.
>
> On the wired LAN I'm running Netcrunch for snmp mgt. After running a
> discovery I noticed the three wireless hosts failed to be discovered,
> though the wap was discovered and ID'd fine.
>
> I then found I couldn't ping the wireless hosts, though each of them
> can ping anything on the wired network.
>
> I tried several wired boxes with the same results. In addition, while
> the wireless hosts can ping the wired hosts and anything on the
> "outside", they cannot ping each other.
>
> Is this normal behavior? Seems odd and I'm figuring I just have
> something fouled up.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jim

Sounds like your router is in a sulk. Cold reset did it for me.

Allan

>> Is this normal behavior? Seems odd and I'm figuring I just have
>> something fouled up.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jim
>
>Sounds like your router is in a sulk. Cold reset did it for me.
>
>Allan

I tried resetting the router (separate box). I even swapped it out
with another yesterday when I finally got a static IP. It also seems
that since the wireless hosts are on the same segment there shouldn't
be an issue.

>The first step to solving a problem is to assign the blame. Let's see
>if it's an access point or IP related problem. Open a DOS (cmd or
>command) window and ping the various IP addresses to populate the
>local ARP cache. Follow each ping (successful or otherwise) with:
> arp -a
>You should see the MAC and IP address of all your assorted computahs
>including the access point IP and router. Repeat on all PC's to
>establish a pattern.

Here's what it gives me after ping several wired hosts and one
wireless host.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.52:

C:\>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.0.53 on Interface 0x1000003
Internet Address Physical Address Type
192.168.0.52 00-00-00-00-00-00 invalid
192.168.0.200 00-04-5a-d4-73-65 dynamic
192.168.0.201 00-a0-c9-49-6d-ef dynamic
192.168.0.202 00-01-03-2c-5c-03 dynamic
192.168.0.205 00-20-e0-96-07-e3 dynamic

Looks like you may be right about the firmware.

WEP etc. is turned off. No firewalls on PCs, covering that with a
separate box.

Tracert gives nada. Tracert to wired boxes gives the expected 1 hop
to host.

Oh, on the "ouch" for Netcrunch...

I got the premium, $1200 a mgt. station. On the other hand, at work
the boss sprung for Unicenter for $10K, a new server for $8K and
installation for another $10K. Didn't bother to devote someone to
learn the product tho', so it's still pretty much an electricity eater
after 2 years. NetCrunch is a bargain. <g>