windows messenger, msn messenger

Hi,

What is the difference between Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger? Can I
run both or would I need to?

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about windows messenger messenger

    Greetings Igor,

    Most notably, MSN Messenger 6 has support for display pictures, custom emoticons, has a
    different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger supports SIP-based communications
    services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up to you if you're simply using the
    most basic functionality, connecting to the public .NET Messenger service) and a matter of
    personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind, Windows Messenger must still be installed
    on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain full functionality (Remote Assistance,
    Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).

    MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile,
    etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
    Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).

    You can run both if you really want to (they have to be logged into separate Passports
    however).
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Igor" <jruh@comcastDOTnet> wrote in message news:b96dnWX1-PAAmSjcRVn-jA@comcast.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > What is the difference between Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger? Can I
    > run both or would I need to?
    >
    > Thanks

    Jonathan,

    Thank you for such a quick response and a very clear explanation.

    Igor

    > Greetings Igor,
    >
    > Most notably, MSN Messenger 6 has support for display pictures, custom
    emoticons, has a
    > different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger supports SIP-based
    communications
    > services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up to you if
    you're simply using the
    > most basic functionality, connecting to the public .NET Messenger service)
    and a matter of
    > personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind, Windows Messenger must
    still be installed
    > on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain full functionality
    (Remote Assistance,
    > Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).
    >
    > MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member
    Profiles, MSN Mobile,
    > etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies
    (Exchange Server,
    > Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
    >
    > You can run both if you really want to (they have to be logged into
    separate Passports
    > however).
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Igor" <jruh@comcastDOTnet> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > What is the difference between Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger? Can
    > > run both or would I need to?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    Hi Igor,

    You're very welcome =)
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Igor" <jruh@comcastDOTnet> wrote in message news:EpydnWVXN8BNsyjcRVn-ug@comcast.com...
    > Jonathan,
    >
    > Thank you for such a quick response and a very clear explanation.
    >
    > Igor
    >

    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
    >> Greetings Igor,
    >>
    >> Most notably, MSN Messenger 6 has support for display pictures, custom
    > emoticons, has a
    >> different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger supports SIP-based
    > communications
    >> services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up to you if
    > you're simply using the
    >> most basic functionality, connecting to the public .NET Messenger service)
    > and a matter of
    >> personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind, Windows Messenger must
    > still be installed
    >> on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain full functionality
    > (Remote Assistance,
    >> Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).
    >>
    >> MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member
    > Profiles, MSN Mobile,
    >> etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies
    > (Exchange Server,
    >> Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
    >>
    >> You can run both if you really want to (they have to be logged into
    > separate Passports
    >> however).
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Associate Expert
    >>
    >> "Igor" <jruh@comcastDOTnet> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > What is the difference between Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger? Can
    >> > run both or would I need to?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks

Messenger Microsoft MSN Messenger Windows XP