Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Half-Life 2 Graphics MODernized With Extra Shine

Last response: in News comments
January 6, 2010 9:44:12 PM

Doesn't look any better to me , just looks less blurry.
January 6, 2010 9:47:44 PM

Gotta love the mod scene to disapprove would be brash move considering if it weren't for mods like team fortress and counter strike valve certainly wouldn't be the company it is today.
Related resources
January 6, 2010 9:50:13 PM

Gin FushichoDoesn't look any better to me , just looks less blurry.

I would consider less blurry to be better looking. ;) 
January 6, 2010 9:57:06 PM

After finishing HL1 (original), which I actually enjoyed, I can't find myself making through HL2.
January 6, 2010 9:58:46 PM

long live steam engine
January 6, 2010 10:00:36 PM

Meh, it's always looked as good as in the second picture to me.
January 6, 2010 10:04:02 PM

It's not only less blurry, the textures are much much sharper and there's light glare from several light sources now.

It looks spectactular, IMO.
January 6, 2010 10:12:23 PM

alvinelong live steam engine

Uhh... it uses the Source engine.
January 6, 2010 10:15:49 PM

A first-person-shooter that looks better on a console than on the PC? Blasphemy!

Marcus you make me proud.
January 6, 2010 10:18:35 PM

Uh...correct me if I'm wrong but didn't HL2 already have HDR patched into it for PC?
January 6, 2010 10:24:35 PM

kato128Uh...correct me if I'm wrong but didn't HL2 already have HDR patched into it for PC?

thats what i thought too. but then i thought that maybe i'm just thinking about one of the episodes...

anyways it doesnt matter to me anyways really. the only time i feel like playing HL2 or the episodes is when i'm playing them co-op through the synergy mod, and i highly doubt i could run both mods.
January 6, 2010 10:30:57 PM

kato128Uh...correct me if I'm wrong but didn't HL2 already have HDR patched into it for PC?

Yes, just checked and it does have a setting for HDR. But it says that its only available on certain maps. I assume the mod just makes it available on all maps.
January 6, 2010 10:31:29 PM

Half life 2 + one of the greatest games ever. I am not sure if I will download the mod, but from the pictures, the graphics are quite intriguing.
January 6, 2010 10:37:36 PM

I think what we really wanted was episode 3.
January 6, 2010 10:51:47 PM

I bought Orange Box off steam on the holiday sale 2 days ago, this is perfect timing. The download and install was flawless and everything looks great!
January 6, 2010 10:52:00 PM

I bought Orange Box off steam on the holiday sale 2 days ago, this is perfect timing. The download and install was flawless and everything looks great!
January 6, 2010 11:06:11 PM

sliemAfter finishing HL1 (original), which I actually enjoyed, I can't find myself making through HL2.

You will be missing out on one of the best FPS games to ever be released. I played both and allot of other FPS games. HL2 rocked, it is not even close to the same game play as the first one. Do yourself a favor and play it on a PC with a mouse and keyboard, the best way to play FPS games.

The kiddie consoles will want their kiddie achievements like in the article, "Includes 32 Steam Achievements." I make sure to keep disconnected from Dragon Age servers because of the stupid kiddie achievements.
To paraphrase Mel Brooks,
Badges, I don't need no stinking badges. Just give me a good game.
January 6, 2010 11:53:04 PM

rodney_wsUhh... it uses the Source engine.

LOL!!!!
January 7, 2010 12:31:26 AM

In the before and after picture in the artical, the before picture has some rediculously massive blur applied.
January 7, 2010 12:40:53 AM

Sigh....although the source engine is not bad, it's been used for EVERY possible scenario by now and has made Valve millions. It's time they make a new engine, I'm getting tired of this HL2 mod, and that HL2 mod, source engine this, source that. It's time for a new engine.
January 7, 2010 1:00:13 AM

After playing through it 20 times, I really could care less how good it looks. BUT, I applaud the modder for doing this. It does look pretty nice in a few places but overall, what sells HL2 is the story... which I'm tired of now.

The big question: where is Episode 3? Isn't the point of short episodes to reduce development time between releases? I love TF2 (only online game I play anymore) but for the love of Heavy, we don't need new hats every other week. Get to work on Ep 3.
January 7, 2010 1:51:46 AM

Looks much better...
January 7, 2010 1:53:16 AM

B16CXHatchThe big question: where is Episode 3? Isn't the point of short episodes to reduce development time between releases? I love TF2 (only online game I play anymore) but for the love of Heavy, we don't need new hats every other week. Get to work on Ep 3.

It's in development, probably will be ready this winter or in summer next year. Right now they're busy with l4d2 and in spring they'll launch a DLC that will combine L4d1 with l4d2 and then they'll probably take a break and work on episode 3.

My guess is they're also working on Portal 2 and will probably also include it in a "Gold box" (orange was, remains gold, platinum etc) or some Collector's box with all Half-Life games.
January 7, 2010 2:02:31 AM

lol, so a console had a slight and arguable upper hand against PC, which was quickly quashed by they other great advantage of PC, user customizeability.

what will MW2 look like in a few year? AS AVERAGE AS IT DOES NOW!

is this anything to do with that "cinematic mod" I think it just upgraded all the assets, textures ect. need like 4G of ram (so 64bit) and 1GB GFX to run it!
January 7, 2010 2:02:38 AM

Would be nice if we could use this on CS:S and still play online.
January 7, 2010 2:23:20 AM

Wow ,a lot of people must like half life 2 , my last comment got hated. =p
January 7, 2010 2:52:21 AM

mariushmIt's in development, probably will be ready this winter or in summer next year. Right now they're busy with l4d2 and in spring they'll launch a DLC that will combine L4d1 with l4d2 and then they'll probably take a break and work on episode 3.My guess is they're also working on Portal 2 and will probably also include it in a "Gold box" (orange was, remains gold, platinum etc) or some Collector's box with all Half-Life games.

They are waiting for BlackMesa to be done, so they can ship the fully redone Half Life 1 with it.

IMHO

January 7, 2010 3:39:25 AM

Gotta love the modding community.
So often they do better than the actual developers.

-Delorian mod for Crysis.
-Maps for Warcraft 3.
-Gameplay and graphics mods for Fallout 3.
etc.
January 7, 2010 3:56:26 AM

Episode 3 or GTFO
January 7, 2010 4:41:23 AM

Cinematic Mod 10 looks WAY WAY WAY better than this... I appreciate what they did but CM10 made it worth playing through again... I don't think I'd play through the game again with just this mod.
January 7, 2010 5:13:55 AM

The mod is absurd. xbox, for one, goes to an interlaced tv...that will never ever match the density of a crt. I could only guess "blur" is one crazy error..I respect the updates given. following rules for hdr is a card that can, and that has been out as long as the hl2 engine...wait for official releases.
January 7, 2010 5:56:53 AM

As a gamer who appreciates good gameplay, the graphics boost are a welcome addition, but certainly not the reason to play it. Anyone who has played Elite, Deus-Ex or Duke Nukem 3D would know that. Half Life 2 is a game that stands like a colossus in the gaming world and I still find myself going back to it, next time I do I will have a nice boost on the graphics but certainly not the only reason to play it.
January 7, 2010 7:10:20 AM

The guy can mod well but he clearly can't keep the camera still when taking screenshots.
January 7, 2010 8:47:53 AM

Good job to the modder for doing all this himself!
January 7, 2010 11:21:55 AM

Why does the updated one look like what I've always had? My experiences with HL2 never looked like the one on the left. Admittedly, when HL2: Lost Coast came out the HDR and other tweaks they came out with made the game look better but still looking at the photos my experience never looked as bad the the one on the left.
January 7, 2010 12:58:25 PM

Looks GOOD! however... it doesnt beat Crysis! YA I SAID IT! what you gonna do about it!!!
January 7, 2010 1:43:38 PM

The Cinematic Mod series have been around for years. They have huge demands like 4GB RAM, 64 bit OS, and around 1 GB GPU. I don't think this update will be that demanding as it will lock out many users. It's great HL2 is being updated, but PC gamers have had access to far better for years. Any progress is still good progress in this case.
January 7, 2010 2:25:56 PM

bgd73The mod is absurd. xbox, for one, goes to an interlaced tv...that will never ever match the density of a crt. I could only guess "blur" is one crazy error..I respect the updates given. following rules for hdr is a card that can, and that has been out as long as the hl2 engine...wait for official releases.

Although your post is confusing are you really saying the XBox can't output to a progressive display?

Really, so my XBox 360 hooked up to my 720p Samsung LCD is actually outputting to an interlaced tv according to you? I'm sorry but, even the original XBox had the ability to display a progressive scan picture (most games supported at least 480p), of which I had connected to a similar TV via a Y/Pb/Pr cable. Both of them also have cables to directly connect to a computer monitor as well. Funny that, huh?
January 7, 2010 3:03:11 PM

homrqtI love it when you can get more bang out of an older game before you move on.

Like when they did the Hi-Rez pack for Duke 3D, I played that over and over again for weeks...
January 7, 2010 6:03:37 PM

IBOOMERThey are waiting for BlackMesa to be done, so they can ship the fully redone Half Life 1 with it.IMHO

I hope you're right on that one.
January 7, 2010 10:34:18 PM

HL2 was updated with HDR years ago, and the fakefactory mods have much better textures.
January 9, 2010 3:46:53 AM

brendano257Sigh....although the source engine is not bad, it's been used for EVERY possible scenario by now and has made Valve millions. It's time they make a new engine, I'm getting tired of this HL2 mod, and that HL2 mod, source engine this, source that. It's time for a new engine.

Nah. The greatest thing about Source is its ability to be updated easily. TF2 got multicore rendering not too long ago with a update. Most games would need a expansion or even a new engine and game build. But not Source.

besides it still is beautiful. but graphics don't mean squat if the gameplay sucks.

B16CXHatchAfter playing through it 20 times, I really could care less how good it looks. BUT, I applaud the modder for doing this. It does look pretty nice in a few places but overall, what sells HL2 is the story... which I'm tired of now.The big question: where is Episode 3? Isn't the point of short episodes to reduce development time between releases? I love TF2 (only online game I play anymore) but for the love of Heavy, we don't need new hats every other week. Get to work on Ep 3.

EP3 is not done by the TF2 team or the L4D team. I think they are holding out to make it epic. Freeman kills the GMan. I bet.
!