NTLDR is missing...help

chillybawls

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
One of my computers running Windows 7 is giving me this message whenever I try to start it. After booting from the Windows 7 boot disc, it fails to repair it. I am assuming the file is corrupt. Is there a way I can replace it from the Windows 7 boot disc by using the command prompt? Help fixing this problem will be much appreciated.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
What changes were made prior to this problem starting, moved or removed a drive, did it happen suddenly without you doing anything. A bit more information on how this came about would help, anything you may have been doing.

There is no NTLDR in Windows 7, the last OS to use that was XP/2003.

This error indicates that the boot loader is corrupt. Please boot from Windows 7 installation disc and perform a Startup Repair.

Note: Please ensure that the DVD-ROM is the first booting device.

1) Please insert the Windows 7 DVD and reboot the computer.

2) When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

3) Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

4) Click Repair your computer.

5) Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.

6) On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

If Startup Repair fails, please use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows 7.

Since it hasn't been mentioned, I'm going to assume you have only one hard disk drive in your computer.

At the Command Prompt window type in the drive letter of your DVD drive followed by the colon symbol ( e.g. E: ) and press the Enter key.

At the command prompt enter the following command and press Enter:

cd boot

In this sub-directory there is a command named bootsect.exe which can be used to fix your boot problem.

Enter the following command and press Enter:

bootsect /nt60 ALL /mbr

You should now be able to restart the computer.