IWill XP333-R?

Retruglot

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
I'm getting geared up to get a new mobo and have been pointed toward the IWill XP333 (Thanks AMD_Man)... I noticed the -R (raid) one has 4 Channels (as opposed to 2) for drives? Does that mean I can hook up more than 4 drives? I've never used raid before, so can you hook up 2 drives per channel like IDE? and secondly, how is that on board sound? I see "6 channel" on board sound, but have typically not seen good on board sound in the past..... What gives?

Thanks
Ret

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The onboard sound is supposed to be of medium to high quality. Yes, you can hook up 8 drives on this board. If you don't need more than 4 drives or RAID, you can get the XP333 (without the -R) for around $20 less.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The C-Media sound chip in the XP333 is comparable to the SoundBlaster Live 5.1 in terms of performance and quality. My friend has an IWill KK266Plus with the same sound chip and it can be used for gaming as it supports all the common standards of environmental sound. It is an excellent sound chip as far as on-board sound goes.

Yes, you can hook up 2 drives in one channel but I recommend that you set each drive in the RAID in separate channel. In one channel, the 2 drives will be forced to share the bandwidth.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor